Summer Riding Jacket/Mesh any good?

TorontoBusa

Donating Member
Registered
Summer Riding Jacket/Mesh any good?

I'm thinking about getting a mesh summer jacket for those days that are just way to hot for the leathers.

If you have one, do you like it? (and do you use it!)

What brand?

I see alot of Joe Rocket ones

Thanks for the input

Ive got a Joe Rocket. Go to Newenough.com they always have them on closeout. Obviously the protection isnt as good as leather, but better than skin! I wear mine all the time when its warm. I know myself to well, I wont wear the leather when its hot.

I've worn a JR Phoenix for years now and I'm satisfied. It took an hour to remove all the JR badges though
laugh.gif

I tried few things and I found this and I don't do anymore search...as far as summer jacket? this is it...put one of heat gear from under armor, and this jacket...I went thru summer like walk in the park...

My_new_skin_003__Small_.jpg

Have a power trip mesh. Large chunk of armor in the back causes my back to sweat at long stop lights when its in the 90's. Has elbo & shoulder armor also. Don't know how good it will protect during a spill but I think its better than a tee shirt.

I use a Joe Rocket sonic perferated after the sun goes down.

I have the Icon TiMax 2. It's mesh and also comes with a liner for cooler days.

I like it and for the most part it is comfortable. Price isnt bad and mine is Blue/Black.

http://www.rideicon.com/

i just got a mesh joe rocket jacket for summer (christmas gift plus its cheaper to buy in the winter =P). Im hoping its much better than my leather coat i have now for summer riding.

I use the joe rocket alter ego, it has a removable liner and outer shell for the different elements.

Mesh works fine for me, but it will be a one use wonder if you go down.

I didn't have a scratch but the jacket was torn and needed to be replace.

It did what it was designed to do.
super.gif
Now I wear the pants too

I have the White TiMax2 jacket from Icon. Nice jacket. I would recommend it.

(heavybusa @ Jan. 05 2007,11:22) I use the joe rocket alter ego, it has a removable liner and outer shell for the different elements.

Mesh works fine for me, but it will be a one use wonder if you go down.

I didn't have a scratch but the jacket was torn and needed to be replace.

It did what it was designed to do.  
super.gif
 Now I wear the pants too
+1 on the alter ego. Spine, shoulder and arm protection but if you go down plan on gettin a new one

Mesh is better than nothing but not much? I have a brand new JR mesh jacket, size large I'll sell you cheap. I forget what it's called but it's the one that has the shell that zips off turning it into a mesh jacket with armor. I bought it two years ago and wore it once.

(Tufbusa @ Jan. 05 2007,17:14) Mesh is better than nothing but not much? I have a brand new JR mesh jacket, size large I'll sell you cheap. I forget what it's called but it's the one that has the shell that zips off turning it into a mesh jacket with armor. I bought it two years ago and wore it once.
How much?

JR is a good jacket! Had mine for years , the only bad thing is it gets cold if you are still riding at night . ( at least here )

(BiG-T @ Jan. 05 2007,16
zzwhip.gif
) Get a perforated leather jacket if ya can.
+1 , AGV has some great perforated jackets and ONE NICE HAYABUSA jacket I just ordered  
jump9.gif

I live in south florida nd have two mesh jackets....one is my 5 year old JR Pheonix mesh jacket and the other is my Cortech HRX Leather/Mesh....The JR Pheonix flows a bit more air of course (sans any leather on the elbows, shoulders or back like the cortech hrx has) buuuuuut....I'll only wear the JR instead of the Cortech if?.......

1. I'm just (and only) doing some lowspeed tool'in around town or?...

2. It's africa hot out...like high 90's +......

I would add this though....my cortech leather/mesh matching pants are actually "Cooler Than Jeans" in the hot stuff.

JR Pheonix...

shoei6.jpg

Cortech HRX....

Cortech2.jpg

The JR flows more air but with zero leather on the elbows, shoulders or back?...the "Abrasion Resistance" is real low...i've know folks to get roadrashed in "mesh only" jackets in lowsides at speeds of less than 40mph....asphault burned right through the mesh material in the pressure areas....but i can attest for the JR's "Impact Protection"....great padding...my right shoulder and back got slam dunked into a minivan totaling my ZRX about 5 years back...my body hit the drivers side door so hard they couldn't open it...it was "crushed shut"....i ate percodans for a month but had no broken bones...pretty good bruise where the drivers side-view mirror caught me in the ribs though.
sad.gif

Hope that helps and L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

L8R, Bill.

I have an Alpinestar textile jacket, wore it for the summer, then got a leather jacket. 3 of my fellow riders have gone down in Joe Rocket mesh jackets, each one failed in the same way.. yes they had better protection than a t-shirt, but the issue was.. low side, hit asphalt, cuff on sleeve rips and pulls up over the forearm, snaps were done and zippers down. 2 of them had some nasty gashes where the flesh hit, and one was lucky enough to find soft terra firma quickly after his sleeve riding up his arm. I personally won't buy one after seeing this. The Alp I have was a gift from a buddy, and I'd trust it to go down the street or something, but not out on the highway or where I might get stupid etc.. just my $.02

Charlie

Like Heavy testified, consensus seems to be that mesh provides protection but only once- dispose of after crash. My JR Phoenix only cost $49.95 at newenough (black, not that butt-ugly gray) so I don't care if I have to throw it away.

If you've never worn a full-mesh, it feels like you don't have a jacket on- wind blows straight through like you're only wearing the t-shirt you are wearing underneath. I wear an Under-Armor t-shirt that wicks and don't even sweat when I'm moving in 100 degree weather- it evaporates and you stay dry!

Problem is if the sun goes down and drops to 70-75 you actually get cold. Several come with a removable liner which would be a good accessory.

I just got an Alpinestars Stage perforated jacket, can't wait to see how hot temps I can keep it on before going to the mesh.

Back