hot bodies smoke tail light and signals

Any opportunity I get to comment on HotBodies junk, well, here goes... Their designs are often very good. But the implementation (manufacture) sucks. They have no quality control. I've had bad experiences with their windscreens (flat-ass didn't fit) and fender-eliminator (painted by a child--or looked that way). That's it, for me, for HotBodies. Even so, these don't represent only a 'quality' issue...

I, too, love the looks of these covers. If I had a show bike, I'd put them on. To show it.

I would not use these for the street though, and speak against them the same way I speak against going without a helmet. It's the same idea, to me, i.e., a safety issue.

Why would we wear a helmet, armored jacket, boots, gloves...all the safety gear, then do something to compromise our overall safety such as occlude our rear lights, inviting a rear-end crash? It makes no sense. It's like wearing a big lightening-rod strapped to your back in a thunder storm because you like the awesome fireworks it makes. (Ok, that's an exaggeration, but you get the picture).

In my opinion, these are 'pretty' little things...that hold the potential for making a very bad day for you. If anything, you want to draw attention to your brake light, by making it flash, or making it brighter. Putting these on over your lights and darkening those lights is going to increase the chances you'll be hit from behind. How can it do otherwise. Check out all the comments from those who've seen these up close, and personal...

I guarantee after the 8,000 pound F250 kisses your a** because the driver had no idea you were slowing down, you're going to regret installing these. If you're still around... So let's hear no more of this crazy sheit around here.

Seriously, quality-issues aside, these are a terrible idea for a street bike. Pass on them. Good luck... Alan

I hope the safety nazis in this thread are the types that wear day glow everything and never exceed the speed limit. Otherwise I see their argument as a tad hypocritical. The lights are perfectly visible in the day time. Quit whining about what other people choose to do and go about your own business.

To All who are thinking of purchasing hotbodies smoke tail lights...I know this is beating a dead horse but THEY ARE ABSOLUTELY POS. they dont fit properly, they are poor quality, and worst, when I received mine, they sent me the same turn signal lens...yes, the same left side without sending me the right. Not only that, they had the nerve to act as if it was my fault. I am furious that I took my bike apart, the part doesn't fit, and then when I call there subpar customer service, they act as if they don't care. I am hoping I can get them replaced but never again will I purchase anything from them again. They can...:moon:

I have them on mine. The brake light cover is great. The turns, while not cloudy or pitted as others have said, I did have to trim with a dremel. Afterwards, I'm pretty pleased.
a68988ed-24fa-fdb5.jpg

a68988ed-26be-8194.jpg

For the safety Nazis. Sorry my timing sucks with the turns, but I assure you that they're visible.

No problems with mine either.. Everyone I've ridden with says they are PLENTY bright.

220546d1305669087-leaving-3-day-bike-ride-dscn0415.jpg

I had one when I bought the bike.absolute trash. Too dim even at night. Firstt mod to the bike was new undertail

Sent from my rooted HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk.

Any opportunity I get to comment on HotBodies junk, well, here goes... Their designs are often very good. But the implementation (manufacture) sucks. They have no quality control. I've had bad experiences with their windscreens (flat-ass didn't fit) and fender-eliminator (painted by a child--or looked that way). That's it, for me, for HotBodies. Even so, these don't represent only a 'quality' issue...

I, too, love the looks of these covers. If I had a show bike, I'd put them on. To show it.

I would not use these for the street though, and speak against them the same way I speak against going without a helmet. It's the same idea, to me, i.e., a safety issue.

Why would we wear a helmet, armored jacket, boots, gloves...all the safety gear, then do something to compromise our overall safety such as occlude our rear lights, inviting a rear-end crash? It makes no sense. It's like wearing a big lightening-rod strapped to your back in a thunder storm because you like the awesome fireworks it makes. (Ok, that's an exaggeration, but you get the picture).

In my opinion, these are 'pretty' little things...that hold the potential for making a very bad day for you. If anything, you want to draw attention to your brake light, by making it flash, or making it brighter. Putting these on over your lights and darkening those lights is going to increase the chances you'll be hit from behind. How can it do otherwise. Check out all the comments from those who've seen these up close, and personal...

I guarantee after the 8,000 pound F250 kisses your a** because the driver had no idea you were slowing down, you're going to regret installing these. If you're still around... So let's hear no more of this crazy sheit around here.

Seriously, quality-issues aside, these are a terrible idea for a street bike. Pass on them. Good luck... Alan
Couldnt agree more Alan:thumbsup:

wow this is an old thread, i ended up going the same route with ca smoke signals and smoke integrated tail light. Couldn't be happier with this setup and love the tail light. I still really like the look of the hotbodies covers, just blends the back in perfectly, but i took the advice of others and didn't want to risk my safety anymore than i have to be not being as visible from behind. People around here drive like complete morons, think i have been run off the road 5 or 6 times in the last few weeks from people merging over into me, quick ramp of the brocks streetmeg gets their attention real quick though:laugh: Don't need to give these idiots any more reasons to run me down

i actually did the same as u payne, sprayed the outside of the signals with spray tint for rc trucks. They turned out pretty good, i'm just worried if it will last being sprayed on the outside. I would like to do the brake light as well, so i thought the hot bodies kit looked pretty slick
What did you spray them with? My 2018 rear turns are clear but I do like the dark tint appearance and the Hot Bodies sound a bike ordinary So thinking spraying them is good option. Thanks, Don

What did you spray them with? My 2018 rear turns are clear but I do like the dark tint appearance and the Hot Bodies sound a bike ordinary So thinking spraying them is good option. Thanks, Don
This thread is 10 yrs old and the person you are trying to respond to hasn't been on the site since 2012.....don't hold your breath awaiting a response.

I will add this, there are so many bikes being rear-ended, keeping your tail light and signal lights clearly visible is something I recommend.

My bike had the signal light covers on it when I got it and they were the first thing I removed as I want to be seen.

To answer your question: I have used VHT Nite Shades for my car taillights. It does look aesthetically pleasing but it does reduce the visibility using the spray as opposed to having a smoked lens.

I do suggest you think twice before doing this if you ride a lot at night. motorcycle taillights are already small and difficult to see in stock form. adding the tint will only make it worse. After i had it on my old car, i never did it again for safety concerns.

To answer your question: I have used VHT Nite Shades for my car taillights. It does look aesthetically pleasing but it does reduce the visibility using the spray as opposed to having a smoked lens.

I do suggest you think twice before doing this if you ride a lot at night. motorcycle taillights are already small and difficult to see in stock form. adding the tint will only make it worse. After i had it on my old car, i never did it again for safety concerns.
People who had any light covers or spray around here were getting pulled over left and right....so much so the local speed shops stopped selling the spray and covers...people could get them on line but the word was getting out.

That being said, I've seen the same Mustang running around with one headlight for a month now...

And I saw an import car yesterday with zero brake lights except the single light at the top of his hatch back...no signal lights, brake lights (except that tri-light) or tail lights..

People who had any light covers or spray around here were getting pulled over left and right....so much so the local speed shops stopped selling the spray and covers...people could get them on line but the word was getting out.

That being said, I've seen the same Mustang running around with one headlight for a month now...

And I saw an import car yesterday with zero brake lights except the single light at the top of his hatch back...no signal lights, brake lights (except that tri-light) or tail lights..
I wish there was more enforcement in my area. This week I've seen at least five cars with one headlight. (some of them using their high beams because one headlight was out.) I've seen solid blue and headlights with green fog lights. Saw a suburban with brake lights stuck on. Sorry the rant :banghead:

Back