Higher top speed

NightCrawler

Love all. Trust a few. Do wrong to none.
Donating Member
Registered
I was speaking with someone today about bikes and how fast we have gone. I told him I have gotten a 185 reading on my GPS. He asked if that was all it had and I let him know I had to let up due to upcoming traffic. He then went on to tell me to make sure I wax the bike before I attempt a top end run and make sure I have the hump on (I normally ride with the passenger seat).

I'm not sure if he is correct on this, but will those 2 things actually produce a higher top end?

BTW ... he has a Gixxer 750.

I know that the hump is more aerodynamic and helps with high speed runs but serioulsy doubt that a fresh wax job will help. Just my .02

Let me get this straight, some one on a 750 turned his nose up at 185mph and is offering you tips on how to go faster.
rock.gif

Does something seem odd.

P.S. I hear if you put tire shine on your leathers it helps lower drag.
laugh.gif

Should have asked him if he has been rideing w/ Puff the Magic Dragon?

if your GPS measures down to thousandths of a MPH...then go for it. cause you might gain .001/MPH

wink.gif

just wax the bike because you should to take care of it....forget the "squid advantage" factor.

Why would wax NOT let you go faster? Air has density and mass... wax perfects a smoother surface for the air to glide over - everything glides off wax.... your hand, the rag, rain... why not air? It couldn't HURT, that is for certian. You might not be able to tell the different with waxed VS unwaxed, but if I had the time and money and the perfect environment, I'd do the scientific tests myself and my money would be on the waxed begin faster

So now the big question:

Will Turtle Wax actually make my bike slower?

The wax will help to keep the bus and bird poop of so it does not weigh you down.

Yes the hump will help on a top end.
Your will need the TRE to go beyond the 185 GPS
And will get up in the low 190's with a slightly mod Busa.

So now the big question:

Will Turtle Wax actually make my bike slower?

The hump will have a better affect at higher speeds by smoothing airflow reducing buffeting. Removing the mirrors has a big affect too.

Back