Higher Speed Runs....

babuski

Donating Member
Registered
Okay sportsfans, as many of you know I ride my Busa like a pussy. For many months, I did not exceed 100 mph. But I am finally getting a little more comfortable with this monster. The other day I was determined to get to 140+....perhaps hit the speed limiter....

I was in the cornfields far from civilization. Saw 10 cars all morning. No cops. Me, the corn and some chickens only.

I headed down the road, took one last glance around for cars and rolled the throttle. I am embarrassed to say I chickened out at just over 135 mph. I felt like I was going to be blown off the bike. The speed and torque was incredible. The pull was amazing. I was in a good tuck, but I had a tank bag on and couldn't get any tighter under the fairing. But I felt that if I lifted my head one inch....the wind shear would take my helmet off. My face shield was pressed against my nose. It was a great feeling, but things went by so fast and distant intersections (mostly for farm implements) started to appear much quicker in my eyesight. There was only a slight wind....15 - 20 mph at most. The slightest grading in the pavement sent me into a different section of the lane...nothing too dangerous, but at 135....it made me think.

So what am I doing wrong?...How do some of you guys go 175mph + and handle this monster and the darn wind sheer? Help me so I don't splat....

diffrent windscreen would help and probly lose your tank bag so ya can my best recorded so far as been 182 granted i had a bit of a down hill to go and i left off when my speedo was pegged granted i don't know if being a farm boy and 6'2 helps or not.
As for the wind sheer part that never botherd me as much as the feeling that i was trying to eat my helmet cause it was pushed so tight to my mouth
rock.gif

sounds like a good time Babuski. I've start speedo pegging myself and have a couple thoughts:

1) check your run area and make sure it is clean of roadkill, twigs, rocks, bumps, dips - even slight dips can launch you
2) strap the tank bag to your rear seat if you have to have it and are not using the hump. otherwise, toss it in the ditch and go back after it when you're done messing.
3) tuck behind the shield and stay there. make sure your shield is very clear and clean. if you got one of those darkened ones, well yer screwed there
4) watch your breaking. make sure you have room to slow down, and slow down properly with smooth gradual moves: apply breaks by smoothing into them and slowly situp easing back up into the jet stream
5) make SURE your bike is in EXCELLENT working order. tire pressure correct, good oil, all bolts tight, you don't want crap happening at 186. depending on yoru interests, you can remove the mirros and gain a MPH or 3
6) have your license and registration in a plastic baggy so you can hand it over to police in one disarming movement, and have a cell phone so you can tell your relatives which precint to pick you up from, and how much bail is

We do a deal were we watch for a car and count the time it takes them to get way down the road out of the way. just making sure to not scare anybody and not hurt ourselves too.

The bike is capable of 200 but your surface or underwear might not be. I believe speed comfort comes over time experienced. the more you do it, the quicker you'll get used to it.

Last time I did it, I was 4 PSI low on my tires. That felt fine and I didn't think about it. I will be trying it again at full 42-43 PSI to see the effect. I have no thoughts on the effect either way, but I believe full tires make a larger circumfrance giving slightly higher top end speed potential. Might be bouncier and scarier though.

I tend to stay away from speed on windy days, unless a direct tail wind would help my run.

Of course no one here advocates speeding on public roads so this advice only relates to airstrips rented for private use.

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: None given...|1094246817 -->

dood...just do it! but first take the tank bag off. Make sure your helmet fits properly and a little tighter than normal. Also, make sure your chain is adjusted properly and all lubed up, tire psi is right, etc...The road makes all the difference, no two lane with limited vis, go for the four lane with plenty of shoulder, those chickens you mention could very well ruin your day. Balls of your feet on the pegs, belly against the tank with back arched. Your windscreen will be against your nose, just the way it is. Keep your tuck until about 120 on the way back down. Once you do it, it will become a common occurance. You will be suprized at how stable it is at 175, you paid for all that wind tunnel testing, might as well use it! Disclaimer: I ride slow, in complete control and follow all traffic laws at all times....

Just never ride faster than your gaurdian angel can fly.
wink.gif
Don't ride beyond your abilities, or comfort level. You should always be mentally prepared for it, and if you're nervous, then it won't help you thought process.

I've never pegged the speedo, but I've come close. Usually it's just that feeling of something is wrong, or that there may be an officer right up the road. I'll get there soon enough...I'm not worried about it.

Good luck, and ride safe.
beerchug.gif

Send me a PM or E-Mail if you want to go ride sometime. I'm just up the road in Kenosha, WI.
cool.gif

granted, i've never been over 170... but GPS at 167... and had no problems with my helmet doing anything other than tryign to pull up in the back.. if it's moving enough to stick the shield against your anything....

get a new helmet.. one that fits correctly.

other than that.. big deal.. don't go fast just cuz all the yahoo's on the .org did too... no reason to end up getting killed by a wayward chicken.

I've never done all that surface checking and race prepping stuff these guys are talking about... course I don't normally leave the house with intentions of going ultra fast either.. so maybe thats the difference.

be careful

granted, i've never been over 170... but GPS at 167... and had no problems with my helmet doing anything other than tryign to pull up in the back.. if it's moving enough to stick the shield against your anything....

get a new helmet.. one that fits correctly.

other than that.. big deal.. don't go fast just cuz all the yahoo's on the .org did too...  no reason to end up getting killed by a wayward chicken.

I've never done all that surface checking and race prepping stuff these guys are talking about... course I don't normally leave the house with intentions of going ultra fast either.. so maybe thats the difference.

be careful
Saved me from sayig it. JUST DO WHAT YOU ARE COMFY WITH. If that means a little at a time fine. You dont' want to out ride your skills. If you feel edgy do it next time that you don't feel that way. i have been at and over 200mph but I have had days that it just does not feel right.

I think it depends upon your previous speed experiences Babuski....I've worked my way up to the higher triple digit speeds...mainly cause I worked my way up to bigger bikes over the years. My first big speed was an indicated 165+ If I remember right on a ZX-10...I picked the best possible road I could find to do it.....the 10's were alot like the Busa as far as the freight-train stability...the bike tracked perfectly...you need to just stay tucked and watch WAYY ahead...no glancing away from the road for anything
wow.gif
its scary at first but when you slow back down your gonna yell your fav saying...LOUDLY....LOL. You'll be be fine as long as you pick the right place to do it
wink.gif
The fastest I've been was an indicated 173 or so on the same 10....but I'm waiting for my Busa break-in to be done then I'm gonna see how a bit more feels
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif
I have to admit you prolly want a pretty smooth road for the Busa...cuase' it pulls so friggin' hard at the top end that any bumps are prolly gonna lighten the front end enough to make you uncomfortable....but its actaully pretty easy and safe comparitively speaking....these bikes are designed to do this and they do it well. Just crank her up and hold it as long as you can....then make yourself hold it a few seconds longer...its a rush that has to be experienced to be understood....I can hear your yeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwwww's now
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

tounge.gif

wink.gif

Man, you put too much thought into it. I've never even tried to go fast but have many times hit the 130 to 140 range just by accident. Just goofing off and accelerating quickly I've hit 160. I've never really planned it, just did it.
wow.gif

<!--EDIT|Kevin Kesler
Reason for Edit: "I hope that isn't a sign"|1094261256 -->

Get somewhere safe. Wear the appropiate gear. From what you described I agree with Ego, your helmet don't fit right, get a new one before you do anything else.

When you go out to run high, don't set any certain speed that you just have to reach, set your GPS module up so you can't see it and relax. You can check speed after you are done and be happy with it. Stay in your personal comfort zone and you will enjoy it much more. Build slowly

What all the other guys said. One thing I must say though is that my local riding group rides pretty hard. Whenever we go on long distance trips, the average speed is 120mph. I'm comfortable riding the Busa at that speed because it's just so BOSS!!
biggrin.gif
Granted, we don't ride like this in traffic, but when there is a clear stretch of interstate, we definitely do da damn thang.
wink.gif

Brian

What all the other guys said.  One thing I must say though is that my local riding group rides pretty hard.  Whenever we go on long distance trips, the average speed is 120mph.   I'm comfortable riding the Busa at that speed because it's just so BOSS!!
biggrin.gif
 Granted, we don't ride like this in traffic, but when there is a clear stretch of interstate, we definitely do da damn thang.
wink.gif

Brian
Ditto to what ba said... we ride hard when we are out, and i have been up to 175 indicated. i use a zg db screen and just get tucked under the screen and the bike just feels like it is cutting the wind. verrrrrry smooooth.

ride at ur comfort level, till u get where u want to be.
i never plan on going fast it just happens, roll on the throttle and before u know it ur at 150 or more.

You may have to ride an hour to get away from populated areas to do this. It's far safer and almost respectable.

I pretty much hit 140 several times a day. I love pulling around cars and just hitting the throttle hard and watch them disappear. This bike rocks!

Um yeah, What everyone else said. If there is a long bridge try that as long as it's smooth.

Smooth is the key, you cannot have a bumpy road or a road with a lot of heaving or humps to it. I found out dramatically that a road that feels smooth at 70 may send you airborne at 160 or so.

Make certain you loose the tank bag, get your hump on the bike, tighten down your helmet, tuck your knees and elbows in, drop your chin on the tank and twist it till it stops shifting as needed. SIMPLE
wow.gif

As you slow down sit up slowly at about 150 indicated, Welcome to the world of Airbrakes...

I was in the cornfields far from civilization.  Saw 10 cars all morning.  No cops.  Me, the corn and some chickens only.
I could do alot with this statement!
All kidding aside: new windscreen, tank bag gone, stay down, tire PSI @ spec, have fun and wear your full gear!
smile.gif

BE SAFE; ride at yor cmfort zone, mine so far is 160 indicated, BE SAFE

Everything everyone else said...It also sounds like you may not have the strength to hold on...A lot of us never think about it but its true...If your not comfortable doing it I ain't gonna hate you or hate on you...Just be safe...And if you want to know the rush of hitting the limiter you may just need to ask...You can't miss what you haven't felt...
evil.gif

hammer the fuggin' thing...

you can be up there, an' back down so fast it'll make yer head spin.

We're talkin' seconds here.

I've buried the thing....350+ KPH. thats 210 MPH indicated.

allow 7% for speedo error either way, an there you have it.

a full .....MPH.

at that/this speed.... you've pulled out all the stops.

if a rabbit runs out into the road.......yer dead.

if a car pulls out.....yer even more dead .

if a truck pulls out in front of you.....yer just a memory.

Hit it. Hit it quik. Then get off. Dont just snap it off. Bring her down gentle.

an' you'll be fine......trust me......

hav a good n' fast 1.....RSD.

*This message was brought to you BUY the "Cheap but not that Cheap" Insurance Company *

Have you filled out an' organ donor card ?

if not.....give yer , give yer still working internal organs away here....

meanolddog@hotmail.com

Back