Speed limits - how is it decided?

CWCobra

Registered
The speed limit on U.S. Highway 11 near my home is 55 mph. I am now 58 years old, but when I was 16, the speed limit on the same highway was 65 mph.

And I'm here to tell you, there has been no explosion of development on this highway. It's pretty much the same way it was 40 years ago. Seems to me, with the advancement of automobile safety, from seat belts, to air bags, to anti-lock brakes, the speed limit should be much higher than 40 years ago - not 10 mph lower.

It looks to me like there is a great deal af arbitrary judgment involved in setting speed limits. I only wish they would put me in charge - I'd raise the limits to 75.

Anybody know how speed limits are decided upon?

CW

Traffic engineers maintain that speed limits should be established according to the 85th percentile of free flowing traffic. This means the limit should be set at a level at or under which 85 percent of people are driving.

This is information is kind of interesting too -

---------------------------

http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/laws.html

The "limit" column lists the maximum speed limit in the state. In most states this maximum limit is set by law. Where state law allows for limits higher than currently posted the speed is listed in parentheses.

Almost all states have laws defining a speed limit that is in effect when no limit is posted. This default speed limit is called the "statutory speed limit". Except as noted below it is the same as the maximum speed limit.

Four states have no statutory speed limits on some categories of highways: Arkansas (controlled access highways), Hawaii (state highways, but 80 MPH state speed limit goes into effect in 2007), Vermont (Interstate highways), and West Virginia (controlled access highways). Alaska has no legislative statutory speed limit but the state DOT has established unposted speed limits by regulation. In these states the DOT could raise speed limits to any value that could be justified by an engineering study, or abolish speed limits entirely on the indicated classes of highway.

Some other states have statutory speed limits but permit that speed limit to be increased without bound by posting signs. States where increases have been posted are Delaware, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and Rhode Island. As an exception, state law defines the speed limit to be 65 MPH on certain highways in Delaware and Massachusetts. States where the DOT has not used its authority to increase speed limits are Alabama, Indiana, Minnesota, North Dakota, Oklahoma, and South Carolina. Montana law allows limits speed zones to 50 miles in length, so although the limit could be increased above 75 it would not be possible to increase the limit on the Interstate system as a whole.

Several toll road authorities have greater power to raise speed limits than the state DOT, but none of them have used this power to raise the maximum speed limit. Except where the legislature has ordered the speed limit to be 65, the Massachusetts Turnpike can post any speed limit or none at all. The Ohio Turnpike explicitly has the power to disregard state speed limits, ORC 5537.16, and has used this power to post a uniform speed limit for cars and trucks. Pennsylvania law may allow the Pennsylvania Turnpike to eliminate speed limits, but prohibits speed limits above 65. Penn. C. S. Title 75 § 6110.

A few states permit the DOT to raise speed limits up to a legislatively-set maximum, only on freeways except as noted: California (65 to 70), Connecticut (55 to 65), Florida (55 to 60 on two lane roads and 70 on freeways), Maryland (55 to 65 on freeways and expressways), Mississippi (65 to 70), New York (55 to 65 on state highways), North Carolina (55 to 70), Oregon (65 to 70), Texas (70 to 75 on state highways in sparsely populated counties), Utah (65 to 75), Virginia (55 to 60 on certain divided highways, 65 on freeways, and 70 on I-85), and Washington (60 to 70 on any state highway).

Except in Texas and Alaska the maximum two lane speed limit is lower than the speed listed here: typically 65 in the west half of the country and 55 in the east.

Welcome back Carter~!~ :laugh:

55Image6.jpg

So how do we vote to change it see here's my concern with any and all laws we don't really get a vote. It's our state not the local or federal govt. why is it not our right to choose as opposed to a senator or local govt. official. The reality is we need to take back a great deal of power we have given to the govt. it's ridiculous that someone else is choosing for us. Mind you I understand that a lot of the problem is "lazy America" where people feel entitled and expect that someone should take care of things. As a country we really need to wake up and stop letting the state and federal govt. fix things. From what I can see it's all special interest that runs this country now. The govt. does not seem to be fixing anything just looking out for number one instead of us. just saying now back to your regularly scheduled programing.

...... and I'll take a look around too to figure out how they determine what the speed limits should be :beerchug:

Speed limits across the country were reduced in the 70's due to the gas crisis..

But that has changed again and the speed limits were relaxed. In the '70's 55 was the national speed limit and stated at the speed at which gas economy was greatest. It has since been raised back to 70. Any states that don't adhere typically suffer from lack of federal highway money.

Engineers determine speed limits in a given area based on numerous things. Traffic accidents are one consideration. Of course development is another, and whiny citizens can also have an impact.

But that has changed again and the speed limits were relaxed. In the '70's 55 was the national speed limit and stated at the speed at which gas economy was greatest. It has since been raised back to 70. Any states that don't adhere typically suffer from lack of federal highway money.

Engineers determine speed limits in a given area based on numerous things. Traffic accidents are one consideration. Of course development is another, and whiny citizens can also have an impact.

That pretty much trumps most every thing. :(

Sad though it may be, there are plenty of folks out there that aren't qualified to drive at 30 mph, much less anything higher. ???

speed limits in my area are decided by a simple formula where x= how big of a hurry I'm in and y= number of law enforcement officers in the the known area. z= amount of hours I've already been riding that day and must be divided by the amount of muscle fatigue I'm feeling in my right forearm then multiplied by the severity and number of corners on a given road, then finally subtracted by the total number of hills and driveways in the area(residential or open area).:rulez: This is the most logical way I've been able to use to determine the true speed limit of any given area.

speed limits in my area are decided by a simple formula where x= how big of a hurry I'm in and y= number of law enforcement officers in the the known area. z= amount of hours I've already been riding that day and must be divided by the amount of muscle fatigue I'm feeling in my right forearm then multiplied by the severity and number of corners on a given road, then finally subtracted by the total number of hills and driveways in the area(residential or open area).:rulez: This is the most logical way I've been able to use to determine the true speed limit of any given area.

lol very true

Can anyone testify to ever having successfully lobbied or whatever to get a speed limit RAISED? If so, I'd like to know how. I'd vote for an across-the-board increase in all speed limits (except for school zones) of 20 mph over whatever they are now.

Anybody with me?

CW

Traffic engineers maintain that speed limits should be established according to the 85th percentile of free flowing traffic. This means the limit should be set at a level at or under which 85 percent of people are driving.

Then subtract 15 mph so you can write a bunch of tickets every month.

Can anyone testify to ever having successfully lobbied or whatever to get a speed limit RAISED? If so, I'd like to know how. I'd vote for an across-the-board increase in all speed limits (except for school zones) of 20 mph over whatever they are now.

Anybody with me?

CW

agreed.

they send out a scout on a Busa to find the "fun" speed, they then set the limit to be at least 50% below that:laugh:

Back