High speed runs...

The max top speed of the 10r is supposed to be in the 186mph range, so why would they bother putting a limiter on it? I just ordered a yellowbox for my R1 so I can get some better accuracy from my speedo. Funny how Train has went to a liter bike and I've been itching for the comfort of a Busa.
I may end up gettin' a speedohealer if it's too bad off when I GPS it... As for comfort on the busa, the 10 is honestly more comfortable for me, especially after all day rides like yesterday. I left the house at around noon and got home at around 8:00 PM ridin' most of that time except for eatin' dinner. Last night my legs were wore out and my forearms were pumped and crampin' from lever workin' and throttle twistin'. Otherwise I was fine. This morning my forearms were slightly sore but my legs and back were fine. That many hours on the busa and my neck/shoulders and lower back would have been sore for a couple days. I was much more fatigued after a few hours on the busa than I was last night.

I know that's prolly hard to believe. I would have had a hard time believin' it myself before I experienced it. It's the truth though...
wink.gif
I should start exercising. I do about 200 miles on my normal run, and at about 150 miles, my body starts to scream that I need to get off my bike. Usually its my back that starts to feel the strain. I think the '02/'03 R1s have a bit more aggressive riding stance than the new 10r and R1
Yeah, the '04 R1 I checked out when bike shoppin' this time wasn't near a comfortable to me as the 10. The seat didn't fit my arse as well and the R1 put a lot more pressure on my wrists. Felt like I was sittin' higher on the R1 and havin' to lean forward more to reach the grips. The 10 fit me better than any of the litre bikes...
wink.gif

wink.gif

Very odd that it wasn't limited to 186. all bike in the US are supposed to be limited by the manufacturer by law. Someones gonna get introuble  if that gets out.
What law?  I've been under the impression that the restriction on top speed was self imposed by the Japanese bike companies as a sort of gentleman's agreement to prevent legislation.  Is this incorrect?
You are correct. It was a self imposed limit...
wink.gif
I was just told it was a fed law of some sort, but who knows. Still though if it was an agreement so that the us wouldn't step in, it really isn't to smart for them to start not limiting it again. odd that the 12r is limited but the 10r isn't.

They didn't restrict the 10r because it can't do 186.

Get a GPS on it and truly top it out and you will see. (I'd put a steering damper on it first)

You will find top end to be somewhere in the low to mid 170's.

During our "top secret desert runs" we have topped out the 10r, the R1, the Busa, and a few cars. Granted our testing ground is at almost 3000 ft elevation, so the top speeds are a bit lower than at sea level, but the 10r hit 167, the R1 at 163 and the Busa at 178. The same Busa does 194 at sea level for comparison. All speeds were GPS. If I remember right, the 10r's owner said his speedo was reading over 180 with an actual 167 speed.

However fast you go, be safe, have fun!!!
idea.gif

There must be no "10"s in Europe? You can't sell motorbikes there that go over 300km (186 mph). It's my understanding that is why all the bike manufacturers restricted the top speed? I'm a bit doubtful a stock 10 will reach 186 mph with or without restriction? A stock busa has a hard time reaching 186 and I'm not sure the 10 has enough torque to crowd 200 mph? Correct me if I am wrong? It takes considerably more Torque and Horse Power than the 10 puts out to reach 200 mph and I'm just Skeptical the 10 will exceed 180 or so?

You can't ride triple digits for long in the US so WTF.I had the opportunity to put 150 miles on a ZX-10 and I want one.Don't get me wrong I will try to keep my BUSA and add a 10 to my stable.
The bike has balls and handles like a charm.I was very impressed,it is no BUSA but has great potential.I will definatly install a steering damper on it.It was stable at the triple digits speeds.
Overall its a great bike.The BUSA is my first Suzuki and I love her but I still want a ZX-10.Brings me back to my earlier days of riding when the only thing I would ride was a Kawi ZX-6,
ZX-10R and ZX-11.These days almost every manufacturer produces great machines like my Yamaha FJR, I did find the R1 a little crampy . The choices are difficult but .Anyway to make a long story long BT enjoy your 10 your making it hard for me to stay out of the dealerships.
idea3.gif

There must be no "10"s in Europe? You can't sell motorbikes there that go over 300km (186 mph). It's my understanding that is why all the bike manufacturers restricted the top speed? I'm a bit doubtful a stock 10 will reach 186 mph with or without restriction?  A stock busa has a hard time reaching 186 and I'm not sure the 10 has enough torque to crowd 200 mph? Correct me if I am wrong? It takes considerably more Torque and Horse Power than the 10 puts out to reach 200 mph and I'm just Skeptical the 10 will exceed 180 or so?
Umm, no, as it was mentioned above the 189/186 MPH limit was imposed by the manufacturers, not the EU or UK Etc.

They dodged bullets based on percieved Fuggin European "Get in your Business" government attitudes. So they Suzuki Etc... "agreed" to limit speeds to "Only" 189/186 or whatever...

Why the 10R, R1, CBR, etc... cannot get to 186 MPH is all in the Aerodynamics...

Oh remember, torque doesn't equate to top speed.

You can't ride triple digits for long in the US so WTF.I had the opportunity to put 150 miles on a ZX-10 and I want one.Don't get me wrong I will try to  keep my BUSA and add a 10 to my stable.
The bike has balls and handles like a charm.I was very impressed,it is no BUSA but has great potential.I will definatly install a steering damper on it.It was stable at the triple digits speeds.
Overall its a great bike.The BUSA is my first Suzuki and I love her but I still want a ZX-10.Brings me back to my earlier days of riding when the only thing I would ride was a Kawi ZX-6,
ZX-10R and ZX-11.These days almost every manufacturer produces great machines like my Yamaha FJR, I did find the R1 a little crampy . The choices are difficult but .Anyway to make a long story long BT enjoy your 10 your making it hard for me to stay out of the dealerships.
idea3.gif
Well... I mean if we are going to get serious about this then lets just say it. TOP SPEED MEANS bobo! YEAH I SAID IT!!!

IT's POINTLESS when we are talking about the streets. I am willing to bet that about 99% of the folks out there, have NEVER ACTUALLY TOPPED OUT their Bikes EVER, TURBO OR NOT.

Now MAXTON? That fuggin takes skill, Top speed within a mile... But running up to top speed on a long straight away? Whoopee!!! Who gives a shid, No talent required, no special skill, just twist it and tuck... Fug me, it's really dead fuggin simple. Hell 8 mile bridge, it's a matter of tuck and twist... and Wait, till she farts, then repeat... Nice rush? Sure... Skill?
rock.gif
No... None required...

So I'm with Jetset... Who gives a fug about top speed. It's kinda pointless.... Acceleration and Cornering prowess is what it is really all about...

10R is still a little Girlie bike though... I've ridden mopeds with more weight...
smile.gif

There must be no "10"s in Europe? You can't sell motorbikes there that go over 300km (186 mph). It's my understanding that is why all the bike manufacturers restricted the top speed? I'm a bit doubtful a stock 10 will reach 186 mph with or without restriction? A stock busa has a hard time reaching 186 and I'm not sure the 10 has enough torque to crowd 200 mph? Correct me if I am wrong? It takes considerably more Torque and Horse Power than the 10 puts out to reach 200 mph and I'm just Skeptical the 10 will exceed 180 or so?
Torque has nothin' to do with absolute top speed. It's horsepower and gearing that determines speed. There are cruisers now that have impressive torque numbers on paper but they wouldn't come anywhere close to the busa or the top four liter bikes.
wink.gif

You can't ride triple digits for long in the US so WTF.I had the opportunity to put 150 miles on a ZX-10 and I want one.Don't get me wrong I will try to keep my BUSA and add a 10 to my stable.
idea3.gif
Sorry I'm temptin' ya to spend money, bro.
wink.gif

idea3.gif
Well... I mean if we are going to get serious about this then lets just say it. TOP SPEED MEANS bobo! YEAH I SAID IT!!!

IT's POINTLESS when we are talking about the streets. I am willing to bet that about 99% of the folks out there, have NEVER ACTUALLY TOPPED OUT their Bikes EVER, TURBO OR NOT.

Now MAXTON? That fuggin takes skill, Top speed within a mile... But running up to top speed on a long straight away? Whoopee!!! Who gives a shid, No talent required, no special skill, just twist it and tuck... Fug me, it's really dead fuggin simple. Hell 8 mile bridge, it's a matter of tuck and twist... and Wait, till she farts, then repeat... Nice rush? Sure... Skill?
rock.gif
No... None required...

So I'm with Jetset... Who gives a fug about top speed. It's kinda pointless.... Acceleration and Cornering prowess is what it is really all about...
Sorry to bore ya...
rock.gif

rock.gif

Boy Howdy, I am surprise at how many hard core riders don't understand horse power and torque.

It's torque that gives you top speed! (How much muscle an engine has to produce the work) Websters definition: The measured ability of a rotating element to overcome rotating resistance.

It's horse power that determines how fast you reach it! (Determines the speed at which an engine can produce the muscle) Websters definition: The capacity to achieve or produce.

Boy Howdy, I am surprise at how many hard core riders don't understand horse power and torque.

It's torque that gives you top speed! (How much muscle an engine has to produce the work) Websters definition: The measured ability of a rotating element to overcome rotating resistance.

It's horse power that determines how fast you reach it! (Determines the speed at which an engine can produce the muscle) Websters definition: The capacity to achieve or produce.
I'm surprised that you have it totally backwards and you think everyone else has it all wrong...
rock.gif

You've got it exactly opposite of how it really works dude... Read the definitions you posted. They say it all. Overcoming resistance is a measure of the bike's ability to overcome rotating resistance (the bike's weight and inertia in general)to accellerate it up to speed. The more torque, the quicker it overcomes rotational resistance and gets the bike moving. Horsepower is measured in absolute capacity, just like that definition says. That's why you can sometimes see a mph gain in the 1/4 mile by addin' a few top end horsepower while at the same time your elapsed time may even increase (takes longer to get from point a to point b).

You either got it backwards in your post here or you really do have it all wrong. I'm not tryin' to be a smart ass, but what you posted here is just plain wrong...

Again, torque relates to quickness, as in gettin' movin', or point a to point b under accelleration. Horsepower relates to absolutely "capacity to achieve or produce" top speed...

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1100032723 -->

OH NONONONONONO BULLET... That Totally wasn't meant as a slam!

No No, What I was actually getting at is what I felt Jetset was kind of saying. More of a "What good is Top speed, when there isn't any real use for it?"

Sorta have a ton of Busa Owners here that go on and on about how the fuggin Busa is going to be faster up top... OK, True prolly. But uh, what's your point? Out on the salt flats that will come in real handy...
tounge.gif
I think I was kinda agreeing with someone...

Anyhoo, I wasn't slamming your runs on the 10... THough I may be Skeptical
rock.gif
. No it was meant as a when and where does that 186 come up and does it really fuggin matter???
thumbs-up.gif

I'm surprised that you have it totally backwards and you think everyone else has it all wrong...
rock.gif

You've got it exactly opposite of how it really works dude... Read the definitions you posted. They say it all. Overcoming resistance is a measure of the bike's ability to overcome rotating resistance (the bike's weight and inertia in general)to accellerate it up to speed. The more torque, the quicker it overcomes rotational resistance and gets the bike moving. Horsepower is measured in absolute capacity, just like that definition says. That's why you can sometimes see a mph gain in the 1/4 mile by addin' a few top end horsepower while at the same time your elapsed time may even increase (takes longer to get from point a to point b).

You either got it backwards in your post here or you really do have it all wrong. I'm not tryin' to be a smart ass, but what you posted here is just plain wrong...

Again, torque relates to quickness, as in gettin' movin', or point a to point b under accelleration. Horsepower relates to absolutely "capacity to achieve or produce" top speed...
Um... +1  <table style=filter:flipH>Bassackwords</table>

So in your example Tuff, a Dodge ram Cummings turbo diesel with 610ftLBS of torque will be faster than a BMW 530 because it only has 250ftlbs of torque?
smile.gif

OH NONONONONONO BULLET... That Totally wasn't meant as a slam!

No No, What I was actually getting at is what I felt Jetset was kind of saying. More of a "What good is Top speed, when there isn't any real use for it?"

Sorta have a ton of Busa Owners here that go on and on about how the fuggin Busa is going to be faster up top... OK, True prolly. But uh, what's your point? Out on the salt flats that will come in real handy...
tounge.gif
I think I was kinda agreeing with someone...

Anyhoo, I wasn't slamming your runs on the 10... THough I may be Skeptical
rock.gif
. No it was meant as a when and where does that 186 come up and does it really fuggin matter???
thumbs-up.gif
Ahhh, I see... It's all good. You're right on though.
wink.gif

One thing that pushed me to take the 10 that fast was just to compare the two at the same speed as I took the busa to. If it had been an all out speed run I prolly would have been more tempted to shift to fifth and stay on it for a few more seconds instead of rollin' off.

Ya'll have an excellent point still though. I didn't come anywhere near toppin' either bike out on these runs. Nor did I prove anything other than the fact that I'm a fuggin' dumb ass for ridin' like that in a textile jacket and jeans. Top end is debated so much on the various boards. It would prolly be comical to know how many of those who spout the numbers and specs and argue the point have actually tickled the limit on ANY bike. No doubt there are those who have. I'd bet that they are definitely a minority though.

No offense taken from yer post bro. I guess I just didn't read between the lines to begin with to get yer real reason for postin' what you did. Now that it's clear I couldn't agree more. In fact, top end means so little to me that I may end up swappin' sprockets on the 10 just like I did the busa to gain low end pull and move the power band in relation to speed/RPM in the twisties just a bit. The only thing that sticks in my mind re: lower gearin' on the 10 is it's wheelie prone nature with stock gearin'. It's all good though. You prolly remember how much fun I had tryin' to flog Train through as near perfect throttle management as I could muster and feelin' that front tire skim the ground through first, second and third gears.
biggrin.gif

Top speed is ALL ABOUT the TRE readings of a GPS done PDQ at sea level CST. XyZ?

I thot top speed was perosonal bragging rights.... like with me: "I've been to 180 mph!!!" [pounding chest] Besides, I can't tell anybody anyway - they just don't understand. So I keep it to myself and enjoy the memories. I know my bike will go fast, I just want to actually DO IT. And not just know it. sure wish I had an 8 mile bridge [sniff]

Outside of cornering, the coolest thing about these powerful bikes is being to pick your speed, ANY speed, and obtain it nearly instantly. It's immensely satisfying being able to have total freedom of choice in this regard. In some respects I actually feel safer because I know that I can make the best velocity decision for my current situation without the bike being unable to keep up. Even if you have never exercised your freedoms before, you'll appreciate them when you need them.

Back