high speed collisions with animals...

babuski

Donating Member
Registered
Okay sportsfans, time to get your mind off scootergirl and focus on something more attractive....potential road kill. Okay that was a sick joke....scootergirl is a goddess...and we all love her so...but....

I have gradually increased my top speed from 100mph to 150 mph over the last few months. I do these high end runs out in the boonies where there is little to no risk of cars, trucks, traffic, intersections. I ride around the farmlands of western Illinois.
I recently was crusing around 125 mph when a little chipmunk ran in front of me. I wet my pants and grabbed the bars tightly--and missed the poor little critter by inches. But I was wondering. At speeds of 125 mph or greater...what would happen if I hit a rabbit?
A nice size racoon?

Would I cut these animals in half or are we both roadkill?
I need to assess this risk as that is the only real issue on rural roads where I do these speed runs. Obviously, if a duck hits me in the head at 125...I am decapitated or thrown off the bike. If I hit a dear at 125....the deer is toast as is the bike and me.

Anyone have any experience running into these creatures at various speeds and lived to tell the story?

Yeah, hit a squirrel at 160+

Front tire obliterated it, rear tire had nothing left to go over, it kind of exploded.

Ok, now back to the real subject. what does this have to do with scootergirl? I thought all threads belong to her now?

hit a deer at 60 or so and i was only bruised, its all about what your change in kinetic energy is, little to do with your speed. just dont hit anything...friction isnt so bad

squirrels, opossums, small dogs, cats, and stuff of that size.. while they should be avoided if possibly.. probably won't cause irreversible "wreckage" assuming you don't flip out and do something stupid..

larger animals.. ehh.. I don't wanna hit anything too big personally.. I have a recurring nightmare about hitting a bigger sized dog.. Rot, or a sheppard, or a retriever and going endo endo endo... In reality I dunno if it would happen.. but that would be a fair amount of braking in a short span of pavement.

I did get hit in the chest by a chicken once... figure a 5-6 pnder.. at about 40mph... It felt like somebody threw a 40pnd medicine ball at me and I didn't even try to catch it. My shoulder was sore for a few days.. my windscreen still has some light scratches.. but overall.. not to bad.

deer.. are a definate no no.

you guys act like you never seen a woman before sometimes.. haha

uhh....anything larger than a chihuahua and it could get interesting.

Friend of mine hit a dog once...just a regular size mutt....

Did an endo, crashed into a ditch.

What have I hit? Nothing, if you don't count bugs....and I'd like to keep it that way.

Topic: high speed collisions with animals..., Get your minds off scootergirl!!!![/QUOTE]

Man, I'd like to have a high-speed collision with scootergirl...
laugh.gif

Seriously, I'm lucky and haven't though I have seen what the aftermath of a deer hitting a Lincoln Town Car can do. Harmless animal my ass. ;)

I know, you've already seen this right!

Well here it is for those who haven't and again for those who have (since we're on the topic)!

Fugged_Up_Owl.jpg

The Busa at a Blackbird (No Kidding) the other day. Never did find any remains or other evidence of the bird strike but I saw a black bird dart in front of the Busa and saw nothing but a cloud of feathers behind me... Damndest thing...

i hit a lab on time on my rd400 dog went one way i went the other up in a yard across a driveway and back down in the street didnt drop it but was no fun some how i spraned my ankle ? i was going about 20mph dog just ran out in front of me

I hit a shepard size dog going about 60mph. Luckly the steering dapner saved my behind. Some serious head shake but did not go down. The damage was a broken front fender and bent forks. The dog did not fair so well ended up in two parts.

Stuff like that is what goes though my mind when I decide to take a carefully prepared high-speed run. If you eliminate the other possibilities, other vehicles, road conditions, what else is left but varmints?

I see alot of deer on my way to work. I have hit 4 with cars in the past, hopefully never hit one with the bike.

I hit a Turtle once ...was really weird cause it had a snail on it back saying WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE and it seen me coming and said oh Mr.Turtle please hurry cause this dayaummmm Falcon is going to run over us, and when there destiny was made I pulled over sadden of the cause....then I said this wasnt a waste....Ummm I had Turtle soup laters...
laugh.gif

I hit a possum a few years back at a triple digit speed.
It was a head on direct kill.
Popped the sucker like a ballon and got a unplanned Super Endo that fortunatly came down straight.
So besides a good adrenaline rush, the worst thing was cleaning that sucker off my front tire.

Hit one of those floppy eared dogs (basset maybe) at about 70. Bike kind of jumped but no problems.

Saw a friend hit a deer on a ATV going about 60. Not a pretty sight. Rolled over and over again. Scary stuff.

Chris

Back