High gas prices,glad for my Gen 1

a guy i work with got a v10, i asked what he thought. he said you know i thought the 10 stood for cylinders, apparently it also stands for mpg. this thing gets 10 pulling a trailer or fully unloaded. :laugh:

Yeah most people don't know what they are getting into buying a big engine... I'd have loved a diesel, but I work like 5 miles from the house and short trips kill a diesel.. Oh well, its a decent truck that'll run forever. I just wish I lived somewhere that I could ride all year round...

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk.

I run the 87 in mine no problem.

:cookoo: 87 on a 11.5:1 high reving engine? Your just asking to melt a piston. There is a reason why Suzuki says to run a minimum of 91 octane in the manual. :poke:..and I think from factory they have that sticker on the tank by the gas fill.

The diffrence most the time between regular and premium is .30-.40 a gallon, and you know you dont but put 5 gallons in. More like 3.5 to 4. So worst case @.40 more a gallon @ 4 gallons your paying $1.60 more...is that really gonna break you? All that money in mods, and people want to skimp on fuel, I cant belive that. Its the same as someone can justify spending 4k on a turbo kit, but wont spend the $800+ on good leathers for the track.

There is a reason why Suzuki says to run a minimum of 91 octane in the manual.

Page 8 of my manual (Gen 1, since that's what the OP is talking about) says to use fuel with a minimum octane rating of 87 ((R+M)/2)... European numbers are different because a different formula is used to calculate octane, part of the reason there's some confusion.

Using a higher octane than necessary will decrease efficiency for the reason Doctor G noted earlier. Unless you've changed something that requires it (timing, compression, etc.), higher octane will not make it run better or go faster. :beerchug:

I guess my eyes where playing tricks on me when the sticker on the tank said "premium fuel only".

And yes, I know octane rating is a fuels resistance to detonation, and running more octane on an engine that doesn't need it will make it loose power due to the slower burn. I'm experienced in turbos, what your telling me isn't breaking news. :thumbsup:

Wow, another argument going to break out over octane? Lets hope not.

Now, on topic, my manual also says 87 octane and she runs best and gets better mileage with 87 octane. I am sure that I will be riding her more often to work this year, with diesel getting up to almost 3.50 a gallon now, its a cool c note to fill up my truck. :poke:

Page 8 of my manual (Gen 1, since that's what the OP is talking about) says to use fuel with a minimum octane rating of 87 ((R+M)/2)... European numbers are different because a different formula is used to calculate octane, part of the reason there's some confusion.

Using a higher octane than necessary will decrease efficiency for the reason Doctor G noted earlier. Unless you've changed something that requires it (timing, compression, etc.), higher octane will not make it run better or go faster. :beerchug:

Yep, I am talking about manufacture specs. I don't have any special mods on my bike. The bike HAS been made and speced to run 87, and ,yes, if we were REALLY THAT concerned about fuel economy on a bike we would all be riding Beemers!

But over a long season of touring the savings DO add up. When I tour I am quite aware of my fuel consumption and ride accordingly, but when I am, riding locally, I bomb around without a care in the world.

Ok, f$&@ me I was wrong appearently, but I swear the sticker said minimum 91 octane, or premium fuel only...

But regardless, I put $15 a day in my tank, just to do nothing but ride around town. It's a huge waste of money, I sometimes have to fill up twice a day if I ride on a weekend. It would be way cheaper to not ride it, or better yet not have the bike at all. But it's all about smileage, not milage if you ask me. It's a "recreational vehicle" so it's not a necessity, so if you have to pinch penny's to operate it should you really have one at all? You would be money ahead if you didn't have a bike note, and insurance, tires that only last maybe 10k and frequent chain, and sprocket changes. Regardless, a piped and PC'd busa is gonna get way better milage then even the really efficient cars if your not holding it open all the time. It's a bike. Ride it, enjoy it, it still gets 35+mpg

:cookoo: 87 on a 11.5:1 high reving engine? Your just asking to melt a piston. There is a reason why Suzuki says to run a minimum of 91 octane in the manual. :poke:..and I think from factory they have that sticker on the tank by the gas fill.

The diffrence most the time between regular and premium is .30-.40 a gallon, and you know you dont but put 5 gallons in. More like 3.5 to 4. So worst case @.40 more a gallon @ 4 gallons your paying $1.60 more...is that really gonna break you? All that money in mods, and people want to skimp on fuel, I cant belive that. Its the same as someone can justify spending 4k on a turbo kit, but wont spend the $800+ on good leathers for the track.

70000+ miles on 87 octane without a melt down. Suzuki recommends 87 for the Gen1. There's more to octane requirements then just the mechanical compression ratio. If you bought your bike used, the previous owner could have added the sticker. There isn't one from the factory on the Gen1. There is on the Gen2, but there are internal changes on the Gen2 than warrant the higher octane.

Just listening to the morning news in the background. Oil prices per barrel is now over $100 and climbing daily. Apparently, some believe if the unrest in the middle east continues the price will reach $200 and we can expect $5.00 a gallon for regular sooner than later. I suppose our gas prices will also depend on who ends up controling what.

Dont even mention diesel. The 7.3 gonna be parked except for trips and M/C support
Thank god the busa gets 40+ if we behave.

From what I can find the US imports 3% of it's oil from Libya. Yet everything I hear says the price of crude is going up because of the turmoil in Libya.

Diesel just hit $4.09 here. Hmmm, diesel, the one that costs LESS to produce than gasoline, yet it's higher.

I have a degree in economics so don't try to pull the supply/demand argument. It's quite simply pricing because the market supports it. Fact is, we will forego almost anything to pay for fuel. Really, who needs to eat?

As a rule, I'm very pro-business and think less government is a good thing. I am bothered though when I see the oil companies once again raking in record profits (not income, PROFITS) and the price just keeps going up and up.

Now to complicate matters more, keep in mind that other countries are growing at record rates and so is their fuel consumption. India and China come to mind first. Now we can start talking supply/demand. As soon as their economies support it they will become slaves to the fuel and we'll not only be competing against ourselves but also against them for available supply.

Short version: we'll never see fuel costs below $3/gallon again. After it hits $5/gallon and we complain enough they will reduce it to $4/gallon and we'll all think we got a good deal. You'll see this every year for foreseeable future. Raise the price and cause pain then reduce price until acceptance. Repeat.

<rant over>

Well, a few days ago, I traded in my Subaru that got like 27mpg for a V-10 Ford F250 that gets 10mpg... :duh::pullhair::banghead::banghead:

YESSSSS welcome to the big truck club bro
that Subaru was the only thing I didnt like abt you hahaha
now change the pic lets see the beast! :laugh:

Damn speculators!! They bump up the prices anytime someone farts in the middle east.
Truth is that the oil companies are making bank while they can. Google "peak oil".
Posted via Mobile Device

oil speculation at its finest, higher demand for diesel = higher price right???:rofl:

i hate it really, the higher energy is the more i can work, but i pay more. really contradicting

From what I can find the US imports 3% of it's oil from Libya. Yet everything I hear says the price of crude is going up because of the turmoil in Libya.

Diesel just hit $4.09 here. Hmmm, diesel, the one that costs LESS to produce than gasoline, yet it's higher.

I have a degree in economics so don't try to pull the supply/demand argument. It's quite simply pricing because the market supports it. Fact is, we will forego almost anything to pay for fuel. Really, who needs to eat?

As a rule, I'm very pro-business and think less government is a good thing. I am bothered though when I see the oil companies once again raking in record profits (not income, PROFITS) and the price just keeps going up and up.

Now to complicate matters more, keep in mind that other countries are growing at record rates and so is their fuel consumption. India and China come to mind first. Now we can start talking supply/demand. As soon as their economies support it they will become slaves to the fuel and we'll not only be competing against ourselves but also against them for available supply.

Short version: we'll never see fuel costs below $3/gallon again. After it hits $5/gallon and we complain enough they will reduce it to $4/gallon and we'll all think we got a good deal. You'll see this every year for foreseeable future. Raise the price and cause pain then reduce price until acceptance. Repeat.

<rant over>

i could care less what the mpg's are on these bikes and the price per gallon at the moment. they still do better than the average car and a hell of a lot more fun to play with. my bike get's the highest octane available, period.

Back