Gen 1 vs Gen 2 purchase question

theshnizzle

Rainbow of Skittles
Registered
I currently own a 2002 that I love and had the opportunity to briefly own a Gen 2. which I sold, realizing a little too late that I could not afford to support 3 motorcycles.

Anyway, my question is my gen 1 is quite lurchy anywhere between 3500 and 4000 rpm, a common problem for 02 as they only had one butterfly? a tuner told me.

I am wondering if the later years but still gen 1 has the same issue? Like a 05,06 or 07? The tuner guy told me that the later years had two butterflies thus smoothing out power delivery.

Now my gen 2 was fantastically smooth,VFR like smooth, I would love to have that smoothness again,but I don't want to buy a gen 2 again because I don't want to have to pay for premium fuel.

Seems like a small grievance, I know, but when you ride as much as I do, it does make a difference to the pocket book.

And ,no, my bike does not have a PC, it is all stock,except for Yosh slip ons and K@N filter.

What? I can do that? How the frig do you do that? It sounds like a pretty big job. Can you give me a couple more details if you can?

( What the heck are you doing up at this time of the night?)

Just talkin bout the throttlebodies right? Maybe I'm havin a brainfart, not sure. Have you also installed a TRE? When I installed my old school Ivan's TRE it smoothed out throttle quite a bit.

I'm a night owl actually.... Always up till at least 3. Wish I had a better reason to stay up late tho lol :laugh:

When I bought the bike it had a TRE, I don't know where it went. I will confer with my mechanic, but I am pretty sure he is not going to be interested in doing what sounds like a major mod.

I have a 2006. It only lurches (a little bit) when I'm in 1st gear, dawdling through heavy traffic, but that's right at the bottom of the rev range. I have none of the issues you describe.

So I guess all the Gen 1s have a lurchy-ness at the lower rev range in the 1st/2nd gear,as a stock set-up. Hmm.....interesting. Well, that sounds like that is going to save me a few thousand on a new bike.

Unless I find an absolutely smoking deal on a Gen 2,that smoothness I am almost willing to pay the extra fuel cost for..........

almost..........

'06 here, only one set of flies. A PC and map will get rid of any lurchy.

Reason why it lurches is it is lean in that rpm range for emissions. Like mentioned above a ecm tune is needed to correct that issue. My 02 1k did that too, once I tuned it.... No more lurching! A much better bike to ride!

Last edited:
I agree with warbird. lurching ussually signifies leaness in tha RPM level. I thought you said you had a PC on that bike,,If not ;either way,Ive tuned quite a few and just had to remap my bike acouple days ago, The dyno maps from power commander IMO , arent good at all, Some of them may be a good starting point,But you have to monitor the flat/surgeing and expecially the falling on the face spots,,sounds too lean in some areas,,get someone to tune it correctly. Ive also tuned a couple 2 weeks ago that backfired alot due to being too lean,,includeing mine acouple days ago when I put the 012 map for the yosh dubplex in,,ran terrible and backfired alot when I;d let off of it when it got to about 3k,, I customzed the map and enriched it where it was flat. nice smooth power is what you want. All bikes tune differently and react differently to the same map,,,so you want a custom tune......ps,theres alot of -numbers in those after market header maps; some bikes dont respond well to being that lean. some of the numbers in the map designed for my pipe where in the -18 thru -high - 20's

Last edited:
I have an 07, when I had the power commander it would lurch in first in slow traffic and hesitate at 4K rpm took the power commander off all problems fixed. I know you said you don't have a power commander but I am guessing if mine doesn't do it then it may have what your talking about with the butterflies. I really don't know, there are a lot of people on here a lot smarter than me about these bikes we all love :)

Remove the TRE and GET THE BIKE TUNED! Find a good tuner in your area and it will be a completely different bike... :beerchug:

You are only talking about $1 per fill up fuel cost difference...

The way I ran the numbers:

20,000 miles/yr / 42 m.p.g. (what I average on gen 2) = 476.2 gallons

476.2 X .20 (higher cost of premium fuel in most places) = $95.24/yr.

If $95/yr. in additional fuel cost is enough to make one second guess buying a newer bike, one would have a stroke over the depreciation cost if they took the time to calculate it.

The way I ran the numbers:

20,000 miles/yr / 42 m.p.g. (what I average on gen 2) = 476.2 gallons

476.2 X .20 (higher cost of premium fuel in most places) = $95.24/yr.

If $95/yr. in additional fuel cost is enough to make one second guess buying a newer bike, one would have a stroke over the depreciation cost if they took the time to calculate it.

:poke::laugh::poke::laugh:

Back