Helped a ZX-6 out today

MN72Busa

Formerly known as "Zuki"
Donating Member
Registered
So Im on my way home from work, and see a ZX-6 broken down on the opposite side of the Hwy and the owner standing on the shoulder. I passed the guy, and traffic was pretty damn heavy. I continued to ride about 1.5 miles and I couldnt stop thinking if this was me, I would really hate to be in that situation.

I found the first exit I could, swung around, split a few lanes, and found the ZX-6 rider shivering in his riding gear ( sweat pants, and sweat shirt, sunglasses, and cotton work gloves) I asked the guy what the problem was and he said his crap was making a strange noise from the front. I looked at the front end and notice a rotor bolt missing, 2 of the bolts almost all the way worked out, and obviously rubbing against the brake assembly.

Me: so, you have a tool kit
him: man, you got radar on that hayabusa
Me: yah, um...so traffice is pretty heavy, you have a tool kit to tighten up the rotor bolts
him: Wow, that hayabusa even has hazzards....ummm, nope...no kit

HIM: CELL Phone RINGS, yo dude, not sure whats going on, but some Hayabusa guy is here and helping....yah, ok...click
Me: ok, let me check my tool kit, Kawasaki / Suzuki - should be pretty interchangeable for tools ---

got my tool kit, found a suitable allen wrench

Me: here ya go
him: um, what do I do
Me: tighten the bolts up -- have any blue loctite to put on the threads by chance?
him: whats loctite - how do you think the bolts got lose?
Me: did you just change your rotors, or brake pads, or have your bike serviced lately?
him: no, never done any work on the bike in several years
Me: ok, tighten up the bolts, and try to set up a time with a shop - gave him the name of my buddies shop....he just kind of blew off my advice

15 minutes goes by with heavy traffic wizzing by, 3 cell phone calls he made, and just looking generally confused.

him: so how does that look?
me: yah, looks ok, but get yourself to a shop to get that looked at, might have a bad bearing, or damage to the rotors...not sure why your bolts came out like this, but you wanna get this looked at
him:so whats that blue stuff again?
me: loctite, and if your gonna ride it to work another 20 miles and than back home, maybe find a store to pick some up along with a small tool kit and let it dry while at work and take it slow on the way home.
him: looking rather confused, as if motorcycles need a little maintance every few years or so...lol

well---wrapping things up

him: you always ride with all that leather and stuff?
me: yah, alot safer than gym clothes...also a little warmer
him:huh...uh, yah?

me: Im John, and heres my cell if you need help again,
him: Im so and so...thanks....I must be really lucky lately....ran out of gas the other day and walked several miles and a guy stopped and picked me up and had a jug of gas....than, I cant believe you stopped to help me out...why ya do that?
me: well I would hope if Im ever in a "Brake down situation" someday, someone would possibly help me out, also these cagers are crazy on this road - anyhow, us bikers need to stick together out here.
him: looking shocked / hey man...thanks

he got on his bike, and did wait for me to pack up saddle up. than he pulled away. met up with him at the next light, gave him a wave (which he didnt return) and than made a U-turn and headed home.

Sounds like someone that just had extra money and said, "i think i will get a bike even though I can't wipe my own butt."

good on you for help'n out..
beerchug.gif

I always stop to see if I can lend some assistance....

It goes to show you that not everyone needs to have a bike. You did the right thing by pulling over to help a fellow rider. I think the other rider is a real poor excuse for a squid because the rider is uneducated. I am sure if you were to ever break down, someone would help just don't expect johnny uneducated to help.

Give the guy a break - probably his first bike and all this will be a learning experience. I think he was in shock basically (thermal?) and thats why he wasn't responding correctly? I dont know...didnt sound too polite and I would have knocked him around with a wrench to drive the point home
laugh.gif

I'll be a bit like him when I get my busa despite devouring all sorts of documentation. There are some things that cannot be learnt from documentation...

Well Im definately no bike mechanic, but learned a few things over the last 32 years, and learning every day. This guy was between the ages of 30 to 35, not sure why he would decide to use a motorcycle to commute to work if he doesnt know how to do even a simple walk around the bike before traveling any distance with it ( he would have had to noticed a bolt missing, and a few more almost all the way worked out), however I will give the guy credit for pulling over to the shoulder instead of parking it in a lane of traffic... Almost Darwin award material, but not quite.

<!--EDIT|valium
Reason for Edit: None given...|1125417265 -->

kinda strange how other bikers will stop and help ya if you are on your bike but if you are in your car and break down people blow past and honk ...... like HA HA ...
rock.gif

guess we kinda watch out for each other on bikes
blush.gif

Nice to know there are still decent folks out there. Thanks for helping the poor clueless putz out on behalf of all mothers of stupid sons. Could have been my kid.....
tounge.gif

Candy

Very nice gesture! Like you, I would hope someone would stop and help if I needed it.

Me: so, you have a tool kit
him: man, you got radar on that hayabusa
Me: yah, um...so traffice is pretty heavy, you have a tool kit to tighten up the rotor bolts
him: Wow, that hayabusa even has hazzards....ummm, nope...no kit
At least he has his priorities straight
ss011.gif

him: whats loctite - how do you think the bolts got lose?
Me: did you just change your rotors, or brake pads, or have your bike serviced lately?
him: no, never done any work on the bike in several years.[/QUOTE]
rock.gif

Oh well, you did your part. Good going playa.

tounge.gif
Great story and glad you helped him out. I've got a boy turning 16 and would like to learn road riding soon. I like knowing there's guys like you out there that'll stop if he had a problem.

It's wierd to think we were once young and stupid. (OK - maybe not that um... stu...) well. You get my drift.

good job.
laugh.gif

Nice lookin out for a brother. I stop and help people ona regular basis. Correction ... I stop and help stranded females and families on a regular basis but I look for anything suspicious first. Sounds crazy but I am not gonna get jacked for trying to help someone out! I stop for bikers of all breeds no matter what I'm in. many a time have I loaded a dead scoot into the back of the truck and taken the guy home! Hopefully if I ever need a helping hand one day I'll find one
wink.gif

Back