Help with the Wife

Pinball

Registered
I am waiting on the LE to get in. While I am waiting can some of you help me convince my wife that I NEED to get the HMF exhaust. What else will need to be done to mount this and any other Mods and pics will be helpfull. comon guys I know you all can help with the wife on this one. She is about to clock me in my sleep if I dont shut up about my new bike comming in.

I don't have anything quite that nice on mine-yet- had to settle for a slightly used D&D setup that a board member was kind enough to do me right on. Still, I feel your pain, I agree it is a must-have. Even my wife agrees.

Oh yeah-she's frustrated with you talking about your new bike coming in? Just wait 'till you actually get to ride it!

<!--EDIT|bronc3
Reason for Edit: None given...|1111633349 -->

You WILL have to relocate your blinkers.

You WILL need to remove the PAIR valve, and install block off plates.
(Around 50 bucks from Veltune.com) If you do not, engine damage could occur...

You DO NOT have to buy a powercommander to run this exhaust with, I ran mine with and without a PC. However, to use the full potential of the exhaust, it is recommended to get the air/fuel ratio properly mapped at a tuner using the PC.

You CAN run this exhaust with or without passenger footpegs.
And no, the exhaust doesn't interfere with the passenger in any way. ( My wife loved it) It doesn't get too hot, or get in the way.

To mount it, it is easy, just takes some time.
You have to
Remove both side fairings/bottom fairing/both seats/tail fairing.
Take off old exhaust and PAIR valve.
Take off the passenger pegs, and install the new spacers and exhaust.

I got some pics somewhere, but not detailed...

Don't forget the PAIR blockoffs-recommend you go with the Brock-Davidsons, not the cheapies. By the time you buy gaskets for the cheapies you can just about buy the Brocks.(Brocks come with high-temp o-rings, and even though you can't really see them,they are quality pieces). I also suggest new exhaust gaskets, but many folks get by re-using the old ones. It's a roll of the dice. I just wouldn't want to go through the job of changing my exhaust, just to discover that I had a leak caused by used gaskets,and had to do the job twice.

Pic of my 00 all torn down to install the HMFs...

I had the nose off for other reasons, no need to take it off.

31_Aug_04_Busa_003.jpg

You will want to remove the horn and separate the radiator also. It makes it much more easier, more room to install the new headers. The HMF headers are quite larger than the stock headers. Also this prevents you from damaging any of the blades on your radiator. ( put some cardboard up on my radiator in case I accidently bumped it with the headers...

31_Aug_04_Busa_005.jpg

Here it with the HMFs paritially installed... You need to take your time to make sure the pipes arent too close to the fairings. I suggest buying extra heat tape from an automotive supplier to make sure the exhaust doesn't melt your fairings... Thats what I did...
I have seen pics of this exhaust roasting fairings before...

31_Aug_04_Busa_002.jpg

HMF will powder coat there cans for you whatever color you request. I dont know what color your LE is, whether you are getting an red or gray one. But the colored cans are sweet, and more rare. THis is what I did with my first Busa, and HMFs....
Yes, I am a HUGE HMF dual hi mount fan....
tounge.gif

25_May_04_004.jpg

Rear view. HMFs paired with Top Gun undertail with black LEDs. The best azz in the busa industry in my opinion...

25_May_04_003.jpg

If you got any Q's, shoot me a PM bro, I'll be glad to help ya out.

I would definately buy the bike, get to know it first, then start the big mods like exhaust, but thats me...

Nice pics. I love that undertail. but Im not too sure she will like the idea of the busa in the kitchen. I guess anythings worth a try ONCE. I am hoping that I can get the bike and have the exhaust on it without hearing the stock pipes at all. I have a 89 CBR 600 and will prob keep it as well. Just cannot get rid of the ol friend. Had it since I was in the Marine Corps.

Back