HELP with front axle

amad

Registered
Hey guys,
I'm trying to remove the front wheel to get new tires put on. What do you use to loosen the front axle? It looks like a reverse socket of some kind. Thanks
bowdown.gif

Takes a special deal. Can't remember the size but you can go to Home Depot and fabricate one.

Losen the right side pinch bolts. No need to do the left side. Remove axle then wheel.

Torque to 72.5 ft. pounds. on axle. Lower bike and push on forks. Tighten pinch bolts to 16.5 ft. pds.

r8

24mm you can get a tool like this from cycle gear (or similar store) for about $20, and there are several other alternatives, like a threaded rod connector 1" size, a spark plug socket (put an extension through the opposite side (there the plug would go), etc...

DSC04016.jpg

ditto. you will need to make a tool to use to get the axle out or buy the special tools needed. You can go buy a bolt and 2 nuts and have the same thing as the special tool you just need to know the inner size of the axle. Hope that all makes sense but look at it as a big allen wrench.

Oh, you can do the thread locked nuts on a bolt method too, which uses 24mm nuts thread locked onto the bolt, etc...

The axle isn't reverse threaded is it? I put a big bolt that fit in there and then put a stilson wrench on it and couldn't get it to move.

Oh friends let me tell ya.... Take a spark plug socket and put an extension through the inside of the socket, put a socket wrench on the extension and guess what, put the head of the socket into the axle and it will work perfectly... I found this out on THIS board after beating the living hell out of the front axle trying to get it out.....

cap

I used a 5/8-11 sockethead capscrew. then welded 2 nuts on it. Fits really nice, no need to use metric. You could also use high strength loctite on it instead of weld.

IMG_9206.jpg

The axle isn't reverse threaded is it?  I put a big bolt that fit in there and then put a stilson wrench on it and couldn't get it to move.
Normal thread, lefty loosey... just loosen the pinch bolts on that side (brake side). Of course you will have to remove the calipers, hang them by bungie cords or something, you will have to remove the front fender to pull the wheel out, but that may depend on your setup as well...

I only had to take out the 4 front fender bolts and loosen the back ones. Then just pivot the fender back. This was with a pitbull

The axle isn't reverse threaded is it?  I put a big bolt that fit in there and then put a stilson wrench on it and couldn't get it to move.
You may have to loosen up the axel while the bike is on the ground, making sure the bike is in gear. Like the guys said, loosen up the two bolts on the lower part of the fork, on the right (front brake lever ) side of the bike.

yes, DO NOT loosen the left side pinch bolts or the whole thing will keep spinning...

I use a threaded coupler from Home Depot. No welding required, dirt cheap, fits perfect.
IMG_0209Small.jpg

IMG_0210Small.jpg

cheers
ken

Well Doug, none of my sparkplug sockets had the right head... BUT my o2 sensor tool did... could have saved me $25 a couple weeks ago... dang....

DSCN3629.JPG

DSCN3630.JPG

Thanks for all the help guys. I got it. I put the head of a large bolt that fit in the hole and finally got it with a stilson wrench. I think whoever had this bike before me tightened everything WAY too tight. Pisses me off!!!!
guns.gif
firedevil.gif

Back