Front Axle 'Tool' failure

The coupler idea was next on my list, but I stopped by my favorite ma and pa auto parts store, found a socket for an oil sending unit. That + breaker bar + years of cheeseburgers got the axle off. In hindsight, that's probably the fastest way to do it. But the coupler bench grinder idea probably would have worked best.....

THANKS for your help guys!! Q2 mounted in the front, twisties here I come!! :thumbsup:

-THE MENACE

Glad you got it, Bots and I were about to visit you and show you how to bend a breaker bar :laugh:

Glad you got it, Bots and I were about to visit you and show you how to bend a breaker bar :laugh:

Would have hooked you guys up with ice cream :beerchug:

What do you guys know about seating the forks/axle properly? I understand it is not process to tighten the axle in the air, but rather get it snug and then jack it up/lower it several times to line the forks up? Is that the case?

-THE MENACE

I think I'm confused brother. "seating axle / forks " Are you asking about tuning the suspension, setting rebound, etc.

I think I'm confused brother. "seating axle / forks " Are you asking about tuning the suspension, setting rebound, etc.

I remember reading somewhere on here sometime back.....when you are putting the frt wheel back on, you get the axle 'snug' on the stand and then set the bike's weight on it a couple times before tightening....basically I am worried about unnessesary binding of the frt wheel.

-THE MENACE

I remember reading somewhere on here sometime back.....when you are putting the frt wheel back on, you get the axle 'snug' on the stand and then set the bike's weight on it a couple times before tightening....basically I am worried about unnessesary binding of the frt wheel.

-THE MENACE

Just throw it back together the way it came apart. The wheel rides on bearings,not on the axle. As you surely know,you cant over tighten it. :laugh:

Well,actually you can. But it only goes on one way,no need for paranoia here. ???

RSD.

Process is Install wheel, Torque Axle bolt, torque right side pinch bolts, lower bike and bounce front suspension a few times, torque left pinch bolts, done. This makes sure the left fork leg does not bind due to being pushed in against the hub when the left pinch bolts are tightened.

I am guessing here with this. The reason is because the front wheel stand that cradles the bottom of the fork tube might be pushing the forks inward when the wheel is in the air ?

Process is Install wheel, Torque Axle bolt, torque right side pinch bolts, lower bike and bounce front suspension a few times, torque left pinch bolts, done. This makes sure the left fork leg does not bind due to being pushed in against the hub when the left pinch bolts are tightened.

This is what I was looking for, THANKS!!!! :thumbsup:

zrxmax, When I say 'stand' I mean the HF rear stand, and a floor jack and a piece of hardwood flooring under the headers :whistle: not fancy enough for a front stand!! So the forks would have been 'decompressed' but not necessarily lined up...guess I am over thinking it.....

-THE MENACE

Back