Help! Test ride...

bjewell

Registered
Looks like I can sell the '07 today. The purchaser wants a test ride and I have no problem with that. But I want to ride along on my other bike. There'sa 45mph empty road near my house and he can shift throught the gears, check the brakes there and see if the everything is in order.

Problem is he is an aggressive person, not really good personal boundaries in his one time he stopped by to check out the bike. A test ride is not a road test. No 110mph stuff up the freeway. How do you folks deal with tests? I figure I'll have his license in my pocket and that's aobut it. Do you ask for a signed waiver before he gets on if he drops the scoot?

Any advice really appreciated. Thanks!

Your ride your rules. I believe that if you have a gut feeling then go with it and proceed with caution. Cash in hand before test really sends a statement & I wouldn't sign a waiver to test ride a used bike. Are you desperate to sell? Are you afraid he'll walk if you declined the ride...Then maybe it's for the better. There is a reason that many if not most dealers allow test rides. GL with whatever you decide.

100% CASH in YOUR hand before he sits on the bike.
If he decides against it than you easily hand him his money back.
An honest person no matter how much an A hole should have no problem with that.

What if license is bogus? Old address? Forged name?
If he takes off are you gonna chase him to no end?
He may have a friend you didn't see in some pos car bump you off.

Test rides ok but my hand is gonna have your CASH in it, no checks not even a certified one.

And don't let a higher offer sway your gut instinct and normal thoughts.

I do not want to see a thread.

'Gave buyer a test ride and be took off!'

I'm with Blanca. I sold my bike and the guy wanted his brother to test ride it. I was iffy about it but he handed me the cash and said its yours if he drops the bike so I let him ride it. He came back with a big grin and i handed him the title. I would have said no if he didn't hand me the cash.

Cash or no test ride is my motto. I'd be happy to fire it so you can see that it runs but you're not taking it anywhere unless I have the cash.

Cash in hand before the test ride. If he drops it before he buys it, then it is your problem not his. No cashiers checks either. Banks have started putting holds on them as well. It's dumb, but they are making the rules.

Cash In hand, a small five minute hand written note signed by you and him saying he is handing you cash for a non damaged bike and is being test ridden for purchase. If bike is returned in same condition and not purchased a full refund will be given. If bike returns with any damage be it his fault or a outside force causes it he retains bike and is sold where is as is. No court will side with him, if there is a issue period.. he signs it knowing upfront.. GOOD LUCK.. If any buyer can't do this he cant ride..

+1000 on what all the above said.... Do not let him on it without the money for the bike in your pocket.

Have him hand you the money first!
If he drops it, it your insurance to fix it!
Looks like I can sell the '07 today. The purchaser wants a test ride and I have no problem with that. But I want to ride along on my other bike. There'sa 45mph empty road near my house and he can shift throught the gears, check the brakes there and see if the everything is in order.

Problem is he is an aggressive person, not really good personal boundaries in his one time he stopped by to check out the bike. A test ride is not a road test. No 110mph stuff up the freeway. How do you folks deal with tests? I figure I'll have his license in my pocket and that's aobut it. Do you ask for a signed waiver before he gets on if he drops the scoot?

I would only offer to 'take' him for a ride,,I may want to come and give you a sum of money,,dog out your busa for a few minutes,,then say 'nah,,,I don't think I want it' ,,free ride to the max,,,:banghead:

I have ridden the bike for them, with them following on their bike. I have given them rides. Only once have I let them ride the bike.

But I always give them this option: "If you want, you can pay for the bike and we sign a bill of sale and the title. If you change your mind, bring it back in the first hour and if you haven't dropped it or damaged it in any way, I'll give you back your money less the cost of the replacement title."

I have never had a bike come back.

If you change your mind, bring it back in the first hour and if you haven't dropped it or damaged it in any way, I'll give you back your money less the cost of the replacement title."

I have never had a bike come back.

Not me, Cash in hand and when you leave its yours. Even if you buy a brand new one you could never get this deal. JMO

I keep seeing the insurance commercial, the one with the "Mayhem" guy, test riding the chopper....crashed it and took off running. I also say cash in hand, especially with an aggressive type with no boundaries. Whatever you decide or already decided, good luck with the sale!

I'm a hard-ass, the only test ride anybody gets is behind me on the bike, to see that it runs/shifts/handles/pulls good etc. A person can do alot of damage from missed/sloppy shifts/overrevving etc...a bike doesn't just have to be dropped to be damaged. Too many guys just want free joyrides on fast machines. I pull the plate and tell the guy its not registered or insured, and he can't legally ride it.....sorry :dunno:

I also meet them up the street from my house, they NEVER see where I live, that way they can't case out the rest of my machinery.
My place is a little hard to find, so I just tell them its easier to meet at the market up the street :thumbsup:

My machinery is ALWAYS in top-notch shape cosmetically and mechanically and I ask fair prices.....if someone doesn't like my test ride rules they can find another bike :laugh:

So far that's never happened, and I'm always told my bike was by far the nicest one they looked at, they were tired of looking at rough machines that were advertised as "clean" and "mint" etc ???
It pays to take good care of your stuff :thumbsup:

It looks like I'm not the only one who feels this way :laugh:

I just test drove a bike.. I told the guy over the phone i wouldn't buy it w/o testing it (no idea why i said that). I was pretty reassuring... BUT after i test drove it and bought it I told the guy i NEVER would have let anyone test drive my bike. He laughed and said i looked honest so he let me. I told him honest people dump bikes too :O ...and i never really thought about "what if i dumped the bike"... i just told him i would be careful and not do 120 in a 40. I was the buyer so I was not really thinking from the sellers perspective. but still... ??? The other 4 bikes i went to see - all 4 said NO way... ur not riding the bike.

So contrary to what i got away with - I agree with everyone.. cash in hand. I would have given the cash if he had asked me to. Plus too many people don't know how to ride - especially a new bike that isn't theirs.

I always insist on my FULL asking price in CASH and their licence. Most won't agree to it but usually they figure that if I'm willing to let them ride on that condition, I must be being honest about how I've presented the bike.

??? :banghead: :laugh:

allstate-mayhem-motorcycle.jpg

Back