Help! No electrical power when I on my ignition after losing power mid ride.

Legendnb

Registered
Hi, I was riding halfway last night when electrical power suddenly cut off, dash blacked out and engine cut off with only the time displayed. Had to pull over on the side of the highway. I jump start it was a portable battery and the power came back allowing me to start the bike and ride home.

Did a few testing back home and everything was normal. And ride it again this morning and the same issue happened. Engine cut off,lost of electrical power to dash, had to pull over to the side of the road. But this time jumpstart didn't work and I had to tow it home.

Checked all the fuse including the main 30a starter relay, all is working. Also swapped out a tested, good condition, working battery still no luck. No power to ignition, lights, fuel pump everything. Any advise?

Hi, I was riding halfway last night when electrical power suddenly cut off, dash blacked out and engine cut off with only the time displayed. Had to pull over on the side of the highway. I jump start it was a portable battery and the power came back allowing me to start the bike and ride home.

Did a few testing back home and everything was normal. And ride it again this morning and the same issue happened. Engine cut off,lost of electrical power to dash, had to pull over to the side of the road. But this time jumpstart didn't work and I had to tow it home.

Checked all the fuse including the main 30a starter relay, all is working. Also swapped out a tested, good condition, working battery still no luck. No power to ignition, lights, fuel pump everything. Any advise?
Welcome to the forum. Can you share more details.
Gen1 or 2?
Mods done to the bike, if any?
What testing have you done so far?
We’ve seen some stator/rectifier issues posted before and melted rectifier connectors. No saying that’s your issue, but figured I would bring that up.

My gen1 lost power, jumped it, rode a few blocks before it died again, and jumping a 2nd time did nothing. Ended up being the battery even though it would read 12v+...it wasn't giving out enough amperage to run.

I would try another battery if available, then try rectifier/regulator. I recommend Ricks!

Welcome to the forum. Can you share more details.
Gen1 or 2?
Mods done to the bike, if any?
What testing have you done so far?
We’ve seen some stator/rectifier issues posted before and melted rectifier connectors. No saying that’s your issue, but figured I would bring that up.
Gen 2 2014 abs model.
Only mod is dynojet pc5. Pretty much stock.
So far I checked on all the fuses, starter relay and starter relay fuse. Battery was from my bro with the same bike. We swapped our batteries to test. But still no power.

But would a bad rectifier or stator cause no power on ignition? The bike cannot be jumped. What are the chances for bad wires or connector?

My gen1 lost power, jumped it, rode a few blocks before it died again, and jumping a 2nd time did nothing. Ended up being the battery even though it would read 12v+...it wasn't giving out enough amperage to run.

I would try another battery if available, then try rectifier/regulator. I recommend Ricks!
Where can I get Rick's rectifier? Can't find it on their website.

Be sure to check the basics: fuses, main fuse, good terminal connection, etc.
My main power cable was pinched under the seat for quite a while until I bought the lithium battery.
Where can I get Rick's rectifier? Can't find it on their website.

Not sure if other site sponsors/stores have them, but you can also get them through Frank

I pretty much had this same issue last year.

To make a long story short my switched power wire (inside the connector) from my Bazazz box was bad.

Not on my busa but havingexsct se problem on my rc8 died while riding it's an anti grave battery I'm thinking it may just be battery may go back to stock after checking stator and rectifier

I pretty much had this same issue last year.

To make a long story short my switched power wire (inside the connector) from my Bazazz box was bad.

This^
Always unplug the PowerCommander, Bazazz, whatever piggyback module you're using.
When troubleshooting, always eliminate the simple things first.
They Do go bad, it's not uncommon, and can cause all types of electrical gremlins.

Back