No power

northwoods

Registered
Hi guys,
I went to go for a ride the other day, turned the ignition on and no power! Figuring the battery was dead I hooked it up and boosted it. The bike started up and I took it out for a ride (1/2 hour) came back, shut it off and it wouldn't start again. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

How old is the bike and battery?

Bad battery likely.

I think the charging systems are pretty well bullet proof on these bikes.

I had this happen to me too and I have read about several others on the board with similiar problems. I took my battery out the first time it happened and had the dealer check it. The battery load tested fine and I am still using it. The problem seem to be that the Busa does not start to charge the battery until you reach an RPM of 3500 or above. With a bike like the Busa I was, and you may be, ideling around town a lot and not actually reving it high enough to charge the battery. My solution has been to pay attention to my RPM's and stay above the 3500 limit as well as adding a Battery Tender, http://www.motorcyclebatteriesusa.com/battery....tery=95 , which maintains your battery for you at a constant full charge when not riding. I havn't had any more problems with mine since then.

When I went to pick up my bike, the dang thing had a dead battery in it, they charged it for 4-5 hours, came back, wouldnt start! I asked them to put a new battery in, they did, no problems since! NJ.:)

I always forget this one, WElcome to the board!
smile.gif

The charging system is easy to check. Watch the headlights low while idling and brighten up with increased RPMs.
Those Battery load testors are nice tool to have around. It gets used more oftain then one would think. Test the battery in normal coditions. After charging it, let the battery sit for few days then test it. Also during times of year. During the Winter Cold Cranking power is lower then warm temps power. A battery that tests good in the Summer can be bad for the Winter.
A bad battery that causes compression kick backs. May damage the starter clutch. Busa more then other bikes really benefits having a good battery.

<!--EDIT|Bronto
Reason for Edit: None given...|1118046247 -->

Thanks for the responses and welcome guys. I'm taking it into the shop tomorrow so hopefully I'll be back up and ridin' shortly.

I had some batt problems too..... went to start it and no luck. Barely turned over.... I hooked it up to a car (and with the car off) turned on the bike... went for a ride (few hours), came back, turned off, on, no problem. Been working since.
(also 05 busa)

Welcome to the board. You didn't by chance leave the parking light on when you turned off the key did you? I only ask because I've done it once.
blush.gif

Sounds like a bad battery and a battery tender is definitely a good idea, I use them on all my bikes. Easy enough to check the charging voltage vs RPM. Hook a digital volt meter up and measure at idle then increase the idle to see what the voltage change is. Anything above 13.4 and you will be charging just fine. My guess is you will see that voltage somehwere at or just above idle and it won't take anything near 3500 RPM to be at full charging voltage.
smile.gif

My friends bike came of the floor like NJ's did, dead battery from the factory.
Welcome to the board too!

Back