Bike shut down completely in middle of a ride- first time I've ever seen this

camaroguy72

Registered
Long story short.

Riding along yesterday after putting a good ~500 miles on this weekend. Cruising down the road and the bike literally just shut off. Gauges went dead except for the oil light. Cycled the power on/off while still rolling and the gauges started their "power on" cycle, but stopped halfway.

Pulled over, bike's dead. Let it set for 15 minutes, still dead... but got a crank out of it .. just for a split second anyways.

Get the bike home, voltage was reading low 11v. Got it on a trickle charger to get the voltage up enough to charge, reading just under 12V. Bike started up and ran.. but the voltmeter hooked up to the battery did not go up or fluctuate at all.. just slowly drained back down to the low 11 range. Tried to start again, no dice.

Letting it sit and ordered a new stator.. thinking if it was the battery, it wouldn't start.. and if it was the rectifier, the wires would be melted or the voltage would be high. Went with the Electrosport one that appears to be an upgrade.

Any comments? This ever happen to anyone?

Wires on rectifier don't have to melt to be bad. I've had them go out and still look new. There is a way to test the stator . Don't remember how off the top of my head. Lmk if it turns out to be the rectifier. I should have one laying arnd.

Wires on rectifier don't have to melt to be bad. I've had them go out and still look new. There is a way to test the stator . Don't remember how off the top of my head. Lmk if it turns out to be the rectifier. I should have one laying arnd.

Will do.. thanks man! I'll check the stator conductivity and output later tonight to verify it.. but i'm pretty sure that's it.

Good luck on the fix, electrical issues can be tricky...I had this happen on a 01 Triumph TT600 I owned, ended up having to replace Stator, Rectifier and Regulator when all was said and done including all wiring in between as a short fried the whole charging system. Hopefully its just your stator and you will be good to go, has the bike ever been down? I know it does not take much of an impact to the stator/stator cover to mess it up.

put your volt meter on the battery if the volts go up or drop when you rev the motor its something in the charging system and not the battery. It will go up or down 3 or 4 volts.

You need to test the stator as well as the regulator

Yeah ... I'll check everything tonight once I get a chance to get into the bike and check the stator... had to charge the bike enough to get the bike to actually run again first as well.

Good luck on the fix, electrical issues can be tricky...I had this happen on a 01 Triumph TT600 I owned, ended up having to replace Stator, Rectifier and Regulator when all was said and done including all wiring in between as a short fried the whole charging system. Hopefully its just your stator and you will be good to go, has the bike ever been down? I know it does not take much of an impact to the stator/stator cover to mess it up.

Previous owner dropped it.. some rash on the stator cover.

I have a 2001 and I have similar issue I am working through.
• I had the bike shut off on the highway but was able to restart.
• I was also noticing battery issues.
• I found my bike was not recharging.
• The voltage rectifier was not charging.
• I ordered an aftermarket and it charged correctly.
• Weekend one was cool.
• Second weekend Friday night shut off again, towed home.
• Again recharging was not there.
• Tested the output voltage (AC) each lead on stator---Passed
• Inspected rectifier found the connector melted connected the rectifier to the bike.
• Researching at this point to find the resolution.

Looks like it is actually the rectifier. the connector is burnt and most of the connections are reading zero voltage while doing the diode test... looks like i need to replace this.

1bondoman, how soon can you get me one of these?

Back