No Power To Entire Bike

JayTizzleinski

Registered
So I'm stumped here, I was started a ride ('07 Stock minus newish battery) one morning after letting the bike warm up and it died about 5 minutes later, like completely. No headlamps, tach and spedo went to zero and oil temp and fuel froze in position. When I turn the ignition to any position there's no response from the bike (i.e. no gauge movements, no fuel priming, lights) when I took off the front seat to check the battery, I found that a tire pressure gauge had slipped through the rear compartment and was laying across my battery terminal (+) and the ECM. Are these symptoms that could be caused by a burned out ECM? I've checked all the fuses ( intact and tested fine) and the battery voltage was a little low (11V) but I'm chalking that up to having it sit without running for about 2 weeks. Should I just buy a new ECM or is there another problem that there could be? IMG_0779.JPG IMG_0794.JPG

IMG_0779.JPG

IMG_0794.JPG

Last edited:
I have run into a similar issue.
Have you checked the 30Amp fuse to the left (when sitting on the bike) of you seat?
It's a main fuse. You may need to remove the tail of your bike to get at it.

Jay
Ok, you did say ALL fuses in your first post but I had to double check that this was included.

If I understand you correctly, a fuel gauge (something metal) was touching the + terminal of your battery and your ecu?
If so, your ecu is plastic and completely sealed. I can not see a way that could harm anything.

Is the fuel gauge large enough that it could touch both terminals of the battery?

If you own or have access to a car or truck use booster cables to connect you vehicles battery to yout bikes battery as of you were going to boost it.
No need to run your vehicle while doing this.
Using a multimeter confirm the voltage across the bike's battery terminals.
Then try turning the ignition on on your bike. If that works, start the bike.

Although I think 11V should enable the bike to do something I certainly don't think it wouldn't start the bike.

Echo
Sorry I meant tire pressure gauge (edited for future reference). That's why I'm seeing if there's anything that I'm missing to check. The pressure gauge was lying across the terminal(+) and the wires that plug into the ECM so there could've possibly been a short. I'll try the car battery later on today and let you know how it goes!

Sounds like a flat battery,I would follow echo instructions on this one as my battery is sitting at 12.8,hopefully an easy fix for you

I see you said newish when talking about your battery. Like someone above already stated, the ecu is sealed in plastic. I'd place my money on the battery being the issue. I had some similar symptoms caused by a "newish" battery in the past.

I have see broken wires in the harness that goes up to the kill and start switches too. They move back and forth alot. Just putting it out there.

Back