Shutting down

angel_t65

Registered
I have a stock 2000 bike, it will start like usual when cold, once the bike heats up and the fan comes on the bike shuts down like it runs out of gas.

Will not start at all. Then when it cools off it will start and run again. But it has to cool off for about half an hour to forty five minutes.

I checked for a short in the temp sensor or in the fan motor, both are OK. I ran the bike with the fuel tank up and when it died I touched the fuel pump and it was very hot.

I turned the key off and then back on and I could listen to the fuel pump spinning but it would not start, I disconnected the fuel pump plug, waited a couple seconds connected the plug and started the bike it ran for a while died again, every time I disconnected an reconnected the fuel pump plug it started. Anyone can help with this.

Sorry to hear that, these guys can help
beerchug.gif

Oh
post-52-02136-welcome.gif
and post some pics up of your ride and tell us a little more.

Do a fuel pressure check, that'll tell you if the pump is faulty or good. If it is the pump, it could be the pump or fuel filter. I think the 2000 model has an external fuel filter.

Solved the problem, the guy I bought the bike from sent it to the mechanic for a tune up before I picked it up, the smart A$$ mechanic inverted the fuel lines on the pump so it was receiving sediments from the tank direct from the tank return inlet, the tank fuel cock (The outlet) has an internal mesh that filters the fuel going to the pump, the return inlet doesn't.

Well this completely clogged the pump's mesh and filter, so I cleaned the pump, removed the filter and mesh and installed an external fuel filter, now the bike is not shutting down and the pump doesn't overheat but I have a bad idle, I must have left a vacuum line disconnected or it could be a small leak at the fuel rail, I switched the left and right rail to install the external filter.

I'll take care of this on Friday, Thank you guys for your help, those who replied and those with previous posts that helped a lot.

Back