*HELP NEEDED*...Electrical issue with my 09

Brokenchickenleg

Registered
Last week after a ride of about 50 miles with no issues, I pulled to a stop in my driveway, shifted into neutral and noticed a rough idle for a few seconds before it died. The F1 light did come on during the rough idle. The bike started right back up but continued to run rough with the F1 light on. I killed the bike and decided look into it later. Yesterday, I cranked it up with no issue or sign of a problem. I let it run about 5 minutes then sat on it and backed it out of the garage. While backing out, it dies instantly. Not just the engine, all the electricity...guages and lights. I turn the key off and on again to hear the fuel pump as usual and everything seem to have powered up as it should. When I hit the starter button, all lights and guages flicker with the sound of the starter clicking as if there isn't enough battery power to turn it over. Then all goes dead again until I cycle the key off and back on. This happened two more times, then like magic, it started with no issue and ran fine for about 100 miles. During that ride, I stopped several times where I shut off the bike and restarted it. The only electrical mods are a PCV and a Speedo-Healer. Sorry about the length of the post, but I wanted to be fairly detailed here. Any ideas or similar problems??

Check your wiring and plugs on your PCV and make sure everything is snug on your battery...

Last edited:
Check the main fuses, I replaced all of mine with U.S. BUSS brand. The originals were giving me fits for awhile. They would work, then not work. No more issues............

The battery leads are tight...I was thinking that too when all the power was lost. What would cause all of that AND the rough idle?

Did you check the main fuses under the left side? Also check the ECU connections...and main ground under the tank.

I would check the main ground under the tank as Dozer said and then try pulling your codes. Maybe the computer can tell you something useful.

Was the bike stuttering at all? You could also check the kickstand switch. That might be causing the problem.

Ignition switch recall on the 08"s?? Maybe an 09 or two got through with a bad one too. Fits the description of the problem.???

I would start with the grounds, test the battery, fuses, and connectors securely snapped in.

It's probably not one of the kill switches as they don't cut all power just the ignition. The ignition switch itself could be the culprit. Try turning it back to the parking light position and then to run and see if one works and not the other. Giggle the key in each position to see if it causes any unusual behavior.

Good Luck.

Back