Problems After XTRE Install, Please Help!

Thanks for the detailed response! :bowdown: I did make sure they clicked completely. It looks like it's time to grab the mulitmeter and start going nuts. I know I am going to be so mad when it ends up being something dumb. If the Black w/ Green Stripe wire didn't make a perfect connection could that cause this whole issue? It seems from your explanation above it would not, but that really is the only thing I wasn't able to reverse to stock.

Looking at the schematic a bad connection on the black w/ Green Stripe should not cause the problems that you have for the reasons I stated above. To confirm this, I have an X-tre on mine so I disconnected the connector to the X-tre that goes back to the Black w/ green striped wire and left it off without putting the shorting (bypass) plug in it. This would simulate a totally cut wire. The bike worked normally with the exception that the temperature gauge went up to full hot level and stayed there.
I'm certain that there are other dash functions that wouldn't work correctly but the dash lights all come on and the fuel pump primes when in neutral. The bike started normally and the tachometer even worked. So cutting the Black w/ Green Stripe wire will not kill the whole bike. This is like having a totally failed X-tre which means if it does fail that it wont strand you, just that some dash functions wont work properly. This also confirms Jayhawks problem with the temp. gauge spiking up to the hot zone which would indicate a failing X-tre. I hope this help a bit as this rules out this being an X-tre problem. It's time to pull out the voltmeter and start looking for the missing voltage.

I'm GLAD to hear you guyz saying "Multimeter"! And just want to though this out there, ONLY USE A VOLTMETER to check circuit's on your bike, another words.... DO NOT grab grandpa's oldschool TESTLIGHT and start back probing ECM circuit's, or you will be buying a new ECM.

Last edited:
Looking at the schematic a bad connection on the black w/ Green Stripe should not cause the problems that you have for the reasons I stated above. To confirm this, I have an X-tre on mine so I disconnected the connector to the X-tre that goes back to the Black w/ green striped wire and left it off without putting the shorting (bypass) plug in it. This would simulate a totally cut wire. The bike worked normally with the exception that the temperature gauge went up to full hot level and stayed there.
I'm certain that there are other dash functions that wouldn't work correctly but the dash lights all come on and the fuel pump primes when in neutral. The bike started normally and the tachometer even worked. So cutting the Black w/ Green Stripe wire will not kill the whole bike. This is like having a totally failed X-tre which means if it does fail that it wont strand you, just that some dash functions wont work properly. This also confirms Jayhawks problem with the temp. gauge spiking up to the hot zone which would indicate a failing X-tre. I hope this help a bit as this rules out this being an X-tre problem. It's time to pull out the voltmeter and start looking for the missing voltage.

Thanks so much! That helps a ton. Hopefully tonight or this weekend I can dig into this thing and find out what happened.

I bought my XTRE from Pashnit, I explained the problem of the temperature gauge rising in step with the engine speed (mostly after 8+ grand) eventually the temp hits the red then goes back down with a decrease in RPM.
Tim said hes sending me another next week -no charge. Cant beat that-no hassel! Pashnit is good to go with me..:cheerleader:

I have the same temp gauge problem and i have an xtre too i will contact my seller to see how they can help me. Thanks guys :thumbsup:

Someone mentioned tip sensor. Mine just went bad but i had power just threw the FI light and bike wouldn't start. I don't think its the tip over sensor. Is ECU plugged in? Good luck!

I bought my XTRE from Pashnit, I explained the problem of the temperature gauge rising in step with the engine speed (mostly after 8+ grand) eventually the temp hits the red then goes back down with a decrease in RPM.
Tim said hes sending me another next week -no charge. Cant beat that-no hassel! Pashnit is good to go with me..:cheerleader:

Sounds like you cut and tapped the wrong wire. The correct wire IIRC should be pin #6 on the left connector of the ECU.

Last edited:
I reveresed everything back to 100% stock and it is still messed up.....I tested for power at the ignition switch harness and when I touched the pin the gauges moved and the clock came back on.....I'm thinking maybe somehow by complete fluke my ignition went bad....is this possible? I never had the recall done yet. How can I test the ignition to see if that is it? I'm looking for wiring diagrams.

I reveresed everything back to 100% stock and it is still messed up.....I tested for power at the ignition switch harness and when I touched the pin the gauges moved and the clock came back on.....I'm thinking maybe somehow by complete fluke my ignition went bad....is this possible? I never had the recall done yet. How can I test the ignition to see if that is it? I'm looking for wiring diagrams.

I believe one of the problems/symptoms for the ignition switch recall is complete loss of power. I'd get the recall done.

I dont know if is true but i herd that the gen2 busas use a chip on the key that match with the ignition chip,try to use the other key you never know if that can work.Luck :thumbsup:

I dont know if is true but i herd that the gen2 busas use a chip on the key that match with the ignition chip,try to use the other key you never know if that can work.Luck :thumbsup:

Yea they use an immobilizer chip from what I have heard too. I tried both keys and I'm not sure how to test to see if it's working at all. I would think I would get some power though and the bike just wouldn't actually start.....kind of like how it works with cars where they will crank but not fire.

The US model bikes didn't get the chip, they are only used on foreign bikes as of now...

I would just toss the XTRE... :whistle:

Check the pins on everything that was unplugged. I had a similar problem when I installed the Bazzaz, the pins are very sensitive... :beerchug:

I believe one of the problems/symptoms for the ignition switch recall is complete loss of power. I'd get the recall done.

I agree. I would say you found your problem with the gauges coming on by shorting out just the one pin across the ignition switch. The main symptom of the ignition switch recall is your bike just dieing out for no reason like Valkyriemc stated. This is a huge liability recall for Suzuki and they will do it just to stop potential lawsuits. Don't even worry about them hassling you.
The wire you cut will have no affect on the loss of power through the ignition switch which you just proved. Just be thankful that this didn't occur when you were merging on a crowdwd highway, and I'm certain Suzuki feels the same way.

Well I have some awesome yet frustrating news! :cheerleader:

So I was going to re-install the tank completely and transport the bike up to our vacation spot for the weekend so I could work on it and as I went to put the breather hoses on the tank I noticed a loose plastic plug underneath the battery tray. Well it just so happens it was a ground plug that I somehow had overlooked and must have been unplugged by one of the guys who helped me pull the tank off originally.........Unbelievable and it was a bittersweet moment. I was happy that the bike fired right up, but frustrated that I spent around 3-4 hours trying to find out what was wrong as well as missing out on the last 3 weeks of riding......thanks for all of the tips though guys! :beerchug:

Back