C42 Error

yaas6996

Registered
Hi All,

Ive recently purchased a 2017 hayabusa on the insurance auction. Wasnt that badly damaged, mostly cosmetics.
Ive tried to start the bike but havent gotten any luck.

Im getting a C42 error. Ive done the following thus far:

- checked ignition switch in the on position and there's continuity.
- Checked continuity from the plug through the connector all the way to the ecu.
- I googled and searched everywhere for some form of guidance.
- I went through the whole wiring harness to check for broken wiring but nothing.
- My ignition switch is definitely okay.
- Checked side stand relay next to fuse box. thats fine
- Checked fuses, did this by doing continuity test with the multimeter
- Checked battery for sufficient power, thats ok
- Checked fuel pump, fuel pump primes when i add 12v and ground
- Checked side stand sensor, there is continuity there as well
- Checked clutch lever sensor, continuity there as well
- Ive got a spare key/master key and tried this key as well with no luck.

I literally turn the bike on with the keys. I press the run button and after 2 seconds it shows c42.
not sure what next to check or where to go from this point onward.

pictures as follows.

1 - picture of ignition switch
2 - picture of connector for the rf unit around the key
3 - traced wire images. Orange / w tracer and black-white tracer
4 - fuse box with relay
5 - Error message on the clocks.

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-04 at 00.07.44 (2).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-12-04 at 00.07.44 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-12-04 at 00.07.43 (2).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-12-04 at 00.07.43 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-12-04 at 00.07.43 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-12-04 at 00.07.43.jpeg

Does the bike run?

C42 code is IG switch malfunction,
The ECU is not seeing the transponder key signal.

If that red led next to the key does not shut off you have a Bad transponder, key, or antenna that sends the signal to the ecu that the transponder key there

Last edited:
hmmm

do the busa gen2 for southafrica in deed have an immobilizer?
if yes there are 2 options
1. de-flash the immob outa ecu - the bike should start
2. get a new ignition lock inkl. its fitting ecu - both MUST come from same bike!

and a question at all
does a busa start if you have still connected (dtc tool) the 2 wires for showing the dtc´s
or has it to be disconnected before starting?
damn - i don´t remember that at the moment.

hmmm

do the busa gen2 for southafrica in deed have an immobilizer?
if yes there are 2 options
1. de-flash the immob outa ecu - the bike should start
2. get a new ignition lock inkl. its fitting ecu - both MUST come from same bike!

and a question at all
does a busa start if you have still connected (dtc tool) the 2 wires for showing the dtc´s
or has it to be disconnected before starting?
damn - i don´t remember that at the moment.
It has the LED to the right of the Ignition switch!

edit:

i examined my gen2 manual and found out that s.a. has the country code 06

so i would check the fitting circuit / wiring diagram if there at its RH side on top an immob. is shown/drawn

the wiring diagram(s), i own, for 03 (usa), 28 (can) & 33 (spec. cal) don´t show the immob.

and again at all
how to find out the code for the country at the bike?

yes @GIXERHP

i reco the red light what usually shows that an immob. is active

but the heck i can't remember whether the gen2 without immob still has this led - for whatever reason
(had not yet that type in my wrenching hut)

Really only the US are Transponder delete, Mine does not have the led!

and again at all
how to find out the code for the country at the bike?
perhaps by the frame number?
what i found :

The following codes stand for the applicable country(-ies) and area(-s).
Code Country or Area = Effective / Frame No.
GSX1300R K8 (E-02)= U.K. / JS1CK 111 200 100001 –
GSX1300R K8 (E-19) = E.U. / JS1CK 111 100 100001 –
GSX1300RUF K8 (E-19) = E.U. / JS1CK 211 100 100001 –
GSX1300R K8 (E-03) = U.S.A (Except for California) / JS1GX 72A 821 00001 –
GSX1300R K8 (E-24) = Australia / JS1CK 111 300 100001 –
GSX1300R K8 (E-28) = Canada / JS1GX 72A 82 100001 –
GSX1300R K8 (E-33) = California (U.S.A) / JS1GX 72A 82100001 –

Thanks for replies,

Yesterday I dug even deeper.
- Pin number 40, pin number 57 and pin number 21 on the ecu are communication pins for the immobilizer. I tested continuity there as well and no breaks.

So today I'm heading over to the dealer with my ecu and the keys.
Both keys doesn't work and on the immobilizer the red light keeps a constant fast flash, indicating that the key is not in agreement with the ID'S on the ecu. In essence a communication error. So either immobilizer failure or ecu failure.

Even with the DTC unplugged it just throws and FI light and that's it. Nothing primes or activates as the immobilizer has to communicate with the ecu that the key and the ecu are in agreement, then it activates the rests of the bike. (Or as i understood it, I stand to be corrected).
Bike should start with the DTC connected.

47c10095-0985-4716-a8be-db16ca22471e.jpg

Im not really too concerned with the immobilizer being deactivated as in SA they dont steal your bike with a screw driver or try and hotwire it... they generally rock up with a panel Van and load the whole thing and chop it for parts. There were incidents where people received calls from police officials that their bikes were traced and found cross border.

Thanks for replies,

Yesterday I dug even deeper.
- Pin number 40, pin number 57 and pin number 21 on the ecu are communication pins for the immobilizer. I tested continuity there as well and no breaks.

So today I'm heading over to the dealer with my ecu and the keys.
Both keys doesn't work and on the immobilizer the red light keeps a constant fast flash, indicating that the key is not in agreement with the ID'S on the ecu. In essence a communication error. So either immobilizer failure or ecu failure.

Even with the DTC unplugged it just throws and FI light and that's it. Nothing primes or activates as the immobilizer has to communicate with the ecu that the key and the ecu are in agreement, then it activates the rests of the bike. (Or as i understood it, I stand to be corrected).
Bike should start with the DTC connected.

View attachment 1644436

Im not really too concerned with the immobilizer being deactivated as in SA they dont steal your bike with a screw driver or try and hotwire it... they generally rock up with a panel Van and load the whole thing and chop it for parts. There were incidents where people received calls from police officials that their bikes were traced and found cross border.
One of to things here,
1, keys are not transponder keys.
2, Keys are not programmed!

How ever your dealer will need the bike to Plus the Suzuki SDS diagnostic toll into to see what is going on!

@yaas6996

in my view you have now 3 chances
1. get an entire, preowned, set of ecu with immob., ign. lock, 2 key, the antenna round ign. lock, seat lock, tank lock and put all those pieces into yours
2. get, of a busa without immob., also its entire set means ecu, ign. lock, 2 keys, seat lock, tank lock and put all those pieces into yours - will work 4 sure
3. you find someone who can flash out the immob. outa ecu - my brother says that this way works in deed but one need a spec. computer software plus an spec. inteface

@Berlin Germany

So pricewise.... the option are as follows.

1. Roughly about R15k
2. Stil R15k.
3. R1.5k
4. new immobilizer - Roughly 4.5k with a 4-6 week wait.

- So i decided to take the immobilizer around the key with me to the dealer.
- They did a test and found there to be 1105 ohms of resistance between the black wire and the green wire on the immobilizer... somehow according to them the immobilizer was faulty. Could've gotten faulty with the crash even though it didn't show any physical damage.
- Decided to have it flashed and everything now works.

Back