Problems After XTRE Install, Please Help!

Well this weekend I finally decided to toss on the XTRE since I had some free time away from the shop; I pulled off the tank and pulled the battery while doing the install and then after re-installing everything I turned the key on and I get nothing.....it seems there is no power at all getting to the bike. I'm stumped and I double-checked that I reconnected everything including the battery and I don't see anything wrong.

NOTE: The only plugs I unplugged were the Black and Gray Connectors from the ECU, the fuel pump, the battery connections, and the GPS sensors. I even reversed everything to stock with exception of the spliced black/green wire and still nothing.

I already checked the fuse panel under the left front ducting and the rear starter relay fuse also. Does anyone have ANY ideas what may have happened? I'm sure it's something easy I'm just overlooking or at least I hope that's the case. The only wire I had to cut was the Black w/ Green stripe one on Pin 6 of the black connector. I'm open to ideas.

Are there any other fuses I may have missed other than the main block under the left ducting? In my mind it has to be a fuse or something in the ignition since turning the key gets nothing; I never did the recall so that thought crossed my mind.

:beerchug:

Last edited:
One thing that's probably obvious....their customer service is terrific. If you don't find some thing obvious, just send them an email and I bet they can help you track it down.

I had trouble with my install, and they helped out and then shipped me a replacement.

One thing that's probably obvious....their customer service is terrific. If you don't find some thing obvious, just send them an email and I bet they can help you track it down.

I had trouble with my install, and they helped out and then shipped me a replacement.

What was wrong with yours that you needed a replacement? Thanks for the advice.

After install, my temp gauge would occasionally spike high (for a few seconds). Also, the gear position indicator would change slowly, like one or two seconds after I shifted. Something just wasn't right.

The only other issue I had read people complaining about was the power source for the XTRE. They reported better results when hooking up directly to the red battery terminal.

Not sure if that helps. Good luck.

I pulled off the tank and pulled the battery while doing the install and then after re-installing everything I turned the key on and I get nothing.....it seems there is no power at all getting to the bike. I'm stumped and I double-checked that I reconnected everything including the battery and I don't see anything wrong.

:beerchug:

Maybe inadvertently disconnected a vacuum hose………. Maybe.

In my mind it has to be a fuse or something in the ignition since turning the key gets nothing; I never did the recall so that thought crossed my mind.

Just reread your post....................... Let us know what you find.

Last edited:
Check the main power fuse under left hand side panel (rear) above passenger rear peg. 30amp main power fuse...aka Dozerdriver..

Check the main power fuse under left hand side panel (rear) above passenger rear peg. 30amp main power fuse...aka Dozerdriver..

Thanks! I will double check that; I did take a quick look at it, but I will look closer. I figure it has to be something that controls complete power since I don't even get the clock. I thought maybe the battery somehow, but I tried jumping it and it didn't make a difference.

There is a tip switch relay on the bike which shuts down everything if the bike tips over. I don't know how you could have hit it but its worth looking at as it does give the same symptoms as you are describing. They can be activated if they are bumped very hard but are usually located out of the way. Maybe its malfunctioning. Worth a try.

After install, my temp gauge would occasionally spike high (for a few seconds). Also, the gear position indicator would change slowly, like one or two seconds after I shifted. Something just wasn't right.

The only other issue I had read people complaining about was the power source for the XTRE. They reported better results when hooking up directly to the red battery terminal.

Not sure if that helps. Good luck.

My bike -temp gauge just started that rise stuff when I hit 8 grand up. Please tell me who you talked to, if a particular person.

There is a tip switch relay on the bike which shuts down everything if the bike tips over. I don't know how you could have hit it but its worth looking at as it does give the same symptoms as you are describing. They can be activated if they are bumped very hard but are usually located out of the way. Maybe its malfunctioning. Worth a try.

Does that cut power 100%? Do you know where that is located on the Gen2? I verified that the battery has plenty of juice so it's not that. I'm still puzzled.

I think thats the only one...it's directy from the battery to the block. Start checking voltage from the battery outwards gotta be something your missing. Good luck...

Does that cut power 100%? Do you know where that is located on the Gen2? I verified that the battery has plenty of juice so it's not that. I'm still puzzled.

After checking the manual, it says that the Tip Over Switch kills current to the fuel pump, the fuel injectors and the ignition coils. However after rereading your symptoms that most likely is not your problem since even your dash is dead. If you have checked all the normal fuses and the main fuse along with the engine grounds one of the main things left is the ECM itself or the power or grounds going to it.
On page 1A-5 of the shop manual it has all the terminals on both of the plugs on the ECM and what is assigned to it. Everything, and I mean everything goes through it. The pin 6 wire you cut has "Serial Data for Speedometer" assigned to it so its a serial stream that controls all the dash functions. Being that your dash does not come on with ignition key power and your fuel pump does not prime it probably is not the pin 6 wire. The fuel pump relay is energized by pin 39 and the starter switch goes through pin 42. As you can see the only thing they have in common is the ECM. Page 1A-4 has a great simplified schematic of the bikes electrical system and you might have to do as suggested and start tracing the power through the bike point by point as it seems like you are not getting power through the system. I know it sounds simple and I don't want to insult you but did you hear the black and gray connectors click when you put them on? I just wanted to make sure they are fully seated on the ECM.

My bike -temp gauge just started that rise stuff when I hit 8 grand up. Please tell me who you talked to, if a particular person.

Sorry, don't remember. It was last fall, and I got a new Mac and dumped all of my old email. Just the general customer service email address.

On my BKing, the temp indicator went from it's normal three bars and would spike instantaneously to full hot, and I'd get a check engine. Then, a second or two later, it would instantly return to normal. Weird.

After checking the manual, it says that the Tip Over Switch kills current to the fuel pump, the fuel injectors and the ignition coils. However after rereading your symptoms that most likely is not your problem since even your dash is dead. If you have checked all the normal fuses and the main fuse along with the engine grounds one of the main things left is the ECM itself or the power or grounds going to it.
On page 1A-5 of the shop manual it has all the terminals on both of the plugs on the ECM and what is assigned to it. Everything, and I mean everything goes through it. The pin 6 wire you cut has "Serial Data for Speedometer" assigned to it so its a serial stream that controls all the dash functions. Being that your dash does not come on with ignition key power and your fuel pump does not prime it probably is not the pin 6 wire. The fuel pump relay is energized by pin 39 and the starter switch goes through pin 42. As you can see the only thing they have in common is the ECM. Page 1A-4 has a great simplified schematic of the bikes electrical system and you might have to do as suggested and start tracing the power through the bike point by point as it seems like you are not getting power through the system. I know it sounds simple and I don't want to insult you but did you hear the black and gray connectors click when you put them on? I just wanted to make sure they are fully seated on the ECM.

Thanks for the detailed response! :bowdown: I did make sure they clicked completely. It looks like it's time to grab the mulitmeter and start going nuts. I know I am going to be so mad when it ends up being something dumb. If the Black w/ Green Stripe wire didn't make a perfect connection could that cause this whole issue? It seems from your explanation above it would not, but that really is the only thing I wasn't able to reverse to stock.

Ok, why not just un-install it and see if it is the XTRE. I didnt see that in any response, but would be worth a try. If still no luck then go nuts with multimeter. It may just be a faulty XTRE.

Ok, why not just un-install it and see if it is the XTRE. I didnt see that in any response, but would be worth a try. If still no luck then go nuts with multimeter. It may just be a faulty XTRE.

I did that with the exception of the spliced Black/Green wire; I'll try that tonight when I have a chance to mess with it again a little bit.

Back