Electrical issue

daviesmi

Registered
Ok I hard wired my bike for heated gear. When the had It connected directly to the battery I had no problems. I wired a connector through a relay so it would turn off with the bike and when not in use the cord can be removed. the relay is powered directly to the battery and the signal comes from the plate light. The problem I'm having is the turn signals flash together once in awhile when using the gear. It's not that I'm turning and they both flash just going down the road. I can take the gear off and everything is fine, also I can use th
e jack for other stuff (phone charger, not same power requirements I know) and it works fine. Any thoughts would be great.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sounds like there is too must resistance in the circuit. How much does the heated gear pull? Does the Gen II have the unused plug near the front right turn signal? You could wire it there. Also, you could wire it back the way you had it, and install a switch to power it on and off. Put the switch under the hump or install it on one of the inner panels. I have a lighted switch for my HIDs on my right inner panel. Just some thoughts.

The power for the gear comes directly off the battery. The only thing the signal is doing is switching the reley which it does even if nothing is pluged in and everything works unless the gear is plugged in.
Posted via Mobile Device

The power for the gear comes directly off the battery. The only thing the signal is doing is switching the reley which it does even if nothing is pluged in and everything works unless the gear is plugged in.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sorry, I misunderstood. Move the signal wire to the unused plug(if you have one). Another option would be boostbysmiths harness. There is an unused, switched 12v supply directly behind your instrument cluster. With the harness its a plug and play deal. Heres the link. Frankenstein Replacement Bolts

On the Gen II the plug is in use. The boost by smith harness has a y plug for the Gen II that ties into the front signal light harness right or left for power. No splicing. He can put several aux plugs on to power what you need. I have three power plugs in the front and two in the hump. :thumbsup:

The splice is already there and works fine for everything but the heated gear.I'm thinking something might be wrong with the heated gear as I put an inverter on the bike it last night with a laptop and no issues. I just not sure why it would flash the turn signals.
Posted via Mobile Device

LOL you would laugh if you saw my "workshop". Extra bedroom in the basement, dog cage on one side, wifes computer desk, then i have a craftsman workbench with drawers etc, and a rack with supplied in bins etc, thats about it. Just a one man show trying to help support my motorcycle addiction.

You and my wifes family could shuck em out by the boatload......:rofl:

We can put all of Miami to work !

After 8yrs I am still meeting cousins, aunts and uncles ?

And believe me the Cubans can turn chicken wire into fiber optic cable , best shadetree engineers you will ever meet .
Seriously. I am amazed daily at the ingenuity.

sorry for the hijack...
hope you solve you elec prob

Wish I lived somewhere it was cold enough for me have heated geared wired up on my bike. It gets cold enough to have cold weather gear, but not heated gear wired up.

Back