Help me out here guys

busa_bill

Life - tastes like chicken!
Donating Member
Registered
Was knocked over last night when I was informed that his Busa no longer suited his needs.
Seems he thinks it’s weird to have a bike so similar to his fathers.
He wants a Liter bike, as he feels the Busa is more suited to older riders.

I know how he is, and when he loses interest in something it just sits.
Not quite sure if I should just let him do what he wants, or try and talk him out of it.
His ’05 is paid for, but there’s no way he’ll get enough out of it to go get a brand new bike.
He’s going to school, and doesn’t make enough money to afford a payment. (I’m paying his bills as it is)
Scary thought to go buy a used liter bike. Hard to know for sure what it’s been through, or how it was broke it.

So the question is; what do I do?
I believe he’s making a mistake, but I’ve made my share along the way too.
Hoping some of you can offer a perspective I hadn’t thought of yet.

Thanks,
Bill

Buy it from him.
Then when (if) he realizes it was a mistake
sell it back to him.

pirate.gif
Raider out.
P1498

Find somebody that has a liter bike that he can ride for about 4 hours and he won't want to get rid of the busa.  They suck to sit on compared to a busa and the lack of torque makes it no fun.

I wish my dad rode a busa. His Harley just doesn't cut it when I want to GO....

I agree with RaiderDm and then he will get want he wants and relize that whatever it is it wont suite his taste.... once you go busa you never go back....unless he wants a hog
rant.gif

I say....

<s>...put headphones on him while he sleeps to send subliminal Busa messages.</s>
<s>...take his Busa and give him a Huffy.</s>
<s>...lock him in the garage w/ the Busa.</s>
<s>...give him up for adoption.</s>
<s>...kill him and make a new son.</s>

...don't rush into anything.  Give it a season and decide from there.  I'm sure the Busa will sell quickly during the latter part of the winter.

Somethings have to be learned on there own....
sad.gif

Just tell him in a fatherly way all your concerns up front. Then when they come true (and we know they will) be there for his fall. Sometimes its not the lessons that life can teach us, but the comfort of knowing your family will always be there to support you. Lifting you back up after falling down a time or two.... Those memories will last a lifetime! When we're no longer here to give advice or council our children they will reflect back and remember. Smile cause your doing what is right by not making the final decision for your son & someday maybe in secret he will remember maybe even compare himself to you!

Let him figure out how to sell his bike and buy a new one....are you gonna wipe his azz the rest of his life
rock.gif
See how he handles it...if he asks for advice that's ok...but let HIM figure this one out  
wink.gif

(BA BUSA @ Sep. 20 2006,17:52) Let him figure out how to sell his bike and buy a new one....are you gonna wipe his azz the rest of his life
rock.gif
See how he handles it...if he asks for advice that's ok...but let HIM figure this one out  
wink.gif
+10 He'll need to learn sooner or later. This sounds like a great op!

Your son will learn very little until he has to begin paying for EVERYTHING ENTIRELY BY HIMSELF!

He presently has a paid off 05 Hayabusa (your son may have paid for it but I think that highly unlikely) and you are paying for his schooling as it is. If he wants a liter bike, let him shell out the cash for it himself, so he REALLY learns from his decisions.

I helped my son purchase a 96 CBR900 because that's what he wanted after riding my 92 CBR600F2 all summer. Just 4 months later, he just had to have a new 98 Suzuki GSXR750, as he stated he always wanted one. I told him, "I'm telling you, you're going to miss the CBR900's torque, but it's your money and I naturally want you to be happy."

He bought the GSXR750 and while he liked it, he later admitted, he missed the torque of the 900. Last I heard, he's now riding an 03 R1 (he lives in Colorado, so I only rarely hear from him these days).

Life is one non-stop lesson after another. Our greatest lessons are learned when our backs are made work hardest for our choices.
zzwhip.gif

Have him borrow someones supersport bike, take a 300 mile trip and he will probably never think of giving up the Busa again. Of course if he just wants to do twisties and do only 100 or so miles, well that's another situation all together  
wink.gif

(DaCol. @ Sep. 20 2006,08:24) Have him borrow someones supersport bike, take a 300 mile trip and he will probably never think of giving up the Busa again. Of course if he just wants to do twisties and do only 100 or so miles, well that's another situation all together  
wink.gif
+1

I have a Gixx1K and for ME, it's the best thing ever!!! Of course it spends just about 100% of the time in the triple digits speed range (track of course), and that's what I bought it for. The roadracing and occasional canyon runs.

Truthfully, the Busa is WAY better suited for daily commutes, long rides and drag racing. I did use if for the twisties and track and it holds up well.

But....

Liters tend to be geared taller so you actually shift less. Hell, when I ride in-town on my Gixx, I'm lucky if I ever get out of 3rd gear without breaking the speed limit. Liters are meant to be ridden HARD and VERY FAST. It'll seem "boring" as a commuter bike b/c it's not as torque heavy like a Busa or cruiser. So unless he has twisties, track and roadracing ambitions I'd advise against it.

i would simply reclaim the busa as payment for the bills paid for and its now yours...by the way son...good luck getting your new bike

Lot's of reply's and different takes, thanks!
He did pay cash for the bike with the old man throwing in 20%.

It's an absolute cherry '05. I actually like it better than my '06, but will stay with mine. It's unreal that he would want to let it go.

I like the thought of letting him handle the whole deal himself, but last time I did that he brought home a huge POS. Being a full-time student now with just a 15 hour/week job to fund his gas and run-on money, I caution myself from letting him make a mistake he won't be able to recover from. He has a '95 Suburban at his disposal, but the bike is his primary mode of transportation.

I guess I'll just man-up and tell him no. Can't imagine him letting the bike sit and driving the caged land yacht.

Back