Help! Difficutly starting cold engine...

Tur-Bo

Registered
I am a new Busa owner. I purchased a 2002 with 5500 miles about 3 weeks ago. It had some battery and starter issues when I first got it that I believe are worked out. The battery, starter motor, and idler gear were all replaced. I also added the titanium sleeve to the case.

Now, the motor turns over perfectly and tries to start, but is very stubborn. I have tried both with and without using the high idle lever. If I give it a tiny bit of throttle and then let off while continuing to crank, sometimes it will fire and then die. It will do this multiple times.

I eventually got it started using the above method and then it ran fine. It also started right up when hot. However, after it sat over night, I went to try to start it and had to begin the process all over again.

Additionally, I have changed the plugs (NGK CR9E) and added fresh gas because I believe it sat for a while prior to my purchase. I also charge the battery fully before every attempt and I am not getting the FI light on the dash.

Any suggestions as to what I should check next? I love this bike and want to get it going soon!

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks- John

After you get it running next time add some injector cleaner. I use Sea Foam, good stuff. Could be the injectors are a little clogged.?? Welcome and good luck.

After you get it running next time add some injector cleaner. I use Sea Foam, good stuff. Could be the injectors are a little clogged.?? Welcome and good luck.

I forgot to mention that I did throw in a bottle of Techron (probably not as good as Sea Foam, but similar) thinking along those lines, but it still reacted the same on the last attempt...

Do you have a Power Commander or such on it?
If you do, or want to get one, you could increase the low rpm gas volume.
It sounds like it isn't getting enough gas to fire up.
It sounds like a real good trouble, so if you try and look for an OEM solution it may be tough.
The PC will allow you to program whatever gas you need help start it up.
JMO

Chime in guys, I am stumped.

Do you have a Power Commander or such on it?
If you do, or want to get one, you could increase the low rpm gas volume.
It sounds like it isn't getting enough gas to fire up.
It sounds like a real good trouble, so if you try and look for an OEM solution it may be tough.
The PC will allow you to program whatever gas you need help start it up.
JMO

Chime in guys, I am stumped.

I do not have a PC on it yet. I wanted to see if I could get it going well in stock form before I started any mods. Is it just that much easier to get it running right with a PC? I have never put one on a bike before...

I do not have a PC on it yet. I wanted to see if I could get it going well in stock form before I started any mods. Is it just that much easier to get it running right with a PC? I have never put one on a bike before...

PC can be good or bad. If they're tuned improperly you'll wind up hurting it more than helping. If it doesn't have one on it, you should be able to get it fine without. Power Comanders are designed for modded bikes. I would check your fuel pressure, check to see if the throttle bodies are in sync, and also check your idle speed with the high idle on and off. With the HI off it should be around 1200 with it on it should be anywhere from 1500-2000.

I met someone in Phoenix that had the same issue. Took it to the dealer several times to no avail. Just something he had to deal with.

I met someone in Phoenix that had the same issue. Took it to the dealer several times to no avail. Just something he had to deal with.

I hope I can do better than that. It is pretty annoying to spend that much time getting it started and sometimes the battery goes dead before it decides to keep going.

Try turning the idle up to 1200 rpm's.
Also sync your throttle bodies!
If the problem still persists, you may have clogged fuel filter, witch is in the tank, under the the fuel pump!
If thats the case, you may need to have the injectors cleaned also!

Try turning the idle up to 1200 rpm's.
Also sync your throttle bodies!
If the problem still persists, you may have clogged fuel filter, witch is in the tank, under the the fuel pump!
If thats the case, you may need to have the injectors cleaned also!

Would a fuel filter still be suspect if it revs fine once it starts?

Fuel pressure is worth checking.

What did the old plugs look like when you pulled them? Color? Glossy or dull?

Also, it sounds this bike may have had the problem for awhile. That would explain why the starter system needed repair on a bike with such low miles. Good luck!

Back