Newbie 24v starting system Help Please!!!!

spote3

Registered
Hello all,
I'm a new (1 month) Busa owner. I just bought a 99 black & Silver and I'm having a few problems. I was having problems starting it back up after it gets hot from riding. I tried all of the normal stuff (new battery, new regulator/rectifier, various multimeter tests per the service manual; everything checked out good) but couldn't fix it. So I added a second battery as described here on this forum. Circuit goes like this:

Original battery, (-) grounded to engine; (+) goes to starter relay; other side of starter relay goes to (-) of second battery (instead of starter); (+) of second battery goes to starter.

It starts GREAT now! Its spinning the starter so fast its almost scary!

My question is, is it normal for the gauges to reset again after the bike starts? My gauges all peg out immediately after the bike starts in the same way they do when you first turn the key to the "ON" position (before hitting the start button).

Is this normal?

Did I wire something up wrong?

It is also running VERY rich. So rich, its extremely hard to gt it to idle smoothly. I screwed up ad adjusted the throtle cables while I was adding the 2nd battery, so that may e the problem there, butI was thinking that maybe the FI system is going crazy since the gauges are acting funny.

In the few weeks that I have been visiting this forum, I have learned a LOT, and hopefully one day I can contribute a few nuggets of wisdom.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!!!

:welcome:

you dont need 24v unless you are really high compresion or stroked alot.

I have a big bore and just use a 14S battery with no prob. Sounds like a battery prob only.

once warm she should idle around 1,100 fairly smoothly. try adjusting it accordingly.
someone else will help u more
good luck

You could try and put the batteries back to original (one battery) and see if that clears up the idle.
I know if your 1 battery system is low on charge, that can affect how the bike runs.
The injectors need a certain voltage to fire and if it is too low, they have problems.
The main battery should be a minimum of 12.6 volts, and fully charged should be 12.8 volts.
You are only using the second battery for starting, so if the main battery is low, that could be your problem.

Good Luck!

OK, after leaving it alone for the night, and getting back to it in the morning, I noticed that I had a vacuum hose that had come off. Replaced it, and idle is back to normal. Just a silly oversight on my part.

But im still hoping for some insight on the gauges question.

Thanks!

Back