Help!!?? 09 won't go into gear?

Hmmmmm.........sounds like Suzuki looks for any excuse not to honor warranty. You mentioned they stated the problem may be due to "bad maintenance".
Does that mean that with 677 miles on the clock that you might have neglected to do the 600 mile servive? I know that service would be completely unrelated to your problem, but did you in deed have it done or can you prove that it was done by you?

677 was the remaining miles after a long road trip....when I started out on the trip, it only had 12 miles. I bought the bike 6 weeks ago, but she was down for 2 of those weeks (prior to the aforementioned trip), while I was awaiting a Lo Jack install, and apparently the ONLY certified tech was on vacation. I allowed them to keep the bike during that time, since it was safer then sitting in front of my house (without Lo Jack) like the last busa, which was ultimately stolen. In addition to that, it sat in for another week, before they finally came and picked it up for this issue. So seriously she's only been ridden about 4-5 times. In any case, the bike was purchased in WV, so I was riding on their 60 day temp tags, and was planning to take the bike to a dealer in MD this weekend so that I could get it inspected (required for MD registration) and ultimately registered in MD. At which time I was going to do the 600 mile check up.

Suzuki claimed that there was no evidence of a clutch error or malfunction, so they deemed it to be due to operator error OR bad maintenance. Obviously the latter wasn't the issue, so they are blaming it on me. Implying I was not shifting correctly or something of that nature. This is my second busa, and 4th bike....I've been riding for 7+ years now. Never had this problem. Another comment from the shop was that Suzuki considers clutches a "wearable item" like tires, battery, etc., etc....he said he has seen them cover clutch related issues with a bike when under 1000 miles, but again this was their (suzuki's) response to my case, and there's was nothing they could do about it. I guess they (suzuki) felt there's no way all 6 gears would get burned up without me purposely or novicely (if that's a word) doing so. I'm still battling this..:please:.I've put in calls to suzuki. There's no way I'd put stock parts back in there if they are that crappy, and especially not for no damn $1700! That's ridiculous.

Unless your rear tire is completely worn out and there are little balls of rubber inside your wheel well from burnouts (and fried clutch discs) they are trying to wiggle out of the warranty claim. I would ask to speak to the next person in charge. Be nice through the whole process. If that person doesn't give you the correct answer (which is they will cover it under warranty) then ask to speak to the next person in charge. Keep escalating it until someone gives you the right answer. Again, be polite through the whole process and you will probably get what you need.

climb the ladder till you get someone who will not blow smoke. that is not normal for a less than 700 mile bike

I know someone with an 08 GXSR1000 with the EXACT same issue with 612 miles on the ODO. My local shop put pressure on Suzuki to cover it, and they did. I just got off the phone with my service manager and he said "Be polite and work your way up the chain. If you get rude they will give no good will at all."

Sounds to me that they may be a bad batch of clutch discs that went though the Suzuki factory last year.

This is why I do my own work and service! I have come to the conclusion that if you buy a new bike...you are 99% of the time screwed if you take it back to the dealer to fix or warranty. I use to be a X toyota tech of 13 years and we provided so much better warranty service then any bike shop I have ever gone too! Again... they wonder why service business is slow! If you cant get a warranty service done right! Why would I want to bring my bike in for service to you! Stepping off my soap box!! My local dealers here in South East Va suck bad!:rulez:

Unless your rear tire is completely worn out and there are little balls of rubber inside your wheel well from burnouts (and fried clutch discs) they are trying to wiggle out of the warranty claim. I would ask to speak to the next person in charge. Be nice through the whole process. If that person doesn't give you the correct answer (which is they will cover it under warranty) then ask to speak to the next person in charge. Keep escalating it until someone gives you the right answer. Again, be polite through the whole process and you will probably get what you need.

Thanks fam, I will heed your advice. I plan to make as many calls as needed to get this fixed. And the golden point is to remain calm and NICE!

Its the pin!!! My did the exact same thing when I bought it. Find my post from April of 08 when I bought the bike. I had the same run around from the dealer and they had my bike 3 weeks after my bringing it home on the first day. They had to actually pick it up on a trailer for me after I was unable to make it to the dealer. There is a pin somewhere that was in backwards and would not allow the clutch or other part to seat correctly. After they identified it, it was a quick 10 minute fix and didn't cost me $1700. Take it back to them and tell them to check this pin. I wish I coudl remember what they called it. But search my old post it might be in there. Good luck to you!

You indicate that the gear shift indicator is working, so if the GPS (gear position sensor) is working, then the only possible scenario is the clutch piston is cocked and stuck (see above) or both shift forks sheared off, or possible the clutch springs or studs backed out. The GPS is driven off the end of the shift drum, and if 1-6 was busted up, there is no way that drum would turn. Your dealership is either crooked or stupid. Either way, you shouldn't let them touch your bike. Check clutch cylinder first. Then take off clutch cover and check clutch for studs and springs. Less than a two beer job (I always measure jobs by number of beers:laugh:)

Seducer, what dealer is doing this? They're probably in my neck o' the woods.

This is absolutely an issue that s/b covered by warranty. Unless they can demonstrate abuse, they need to take of it. If the current dealer won't help, find another and speak directly to the manager, explain the situation and let him know that you're looking for a quality service center for all your service needs (dealers make more margin on service than on sales by a long shot, so they want that service business).

I'll be watching this thread and rooting for ya. Best of luck!

Its the pin!!! My did the exact same thing when I bought it. Find my post from April of 08 when I bought the bike. I had the same run around from the dealer and they had my bike 3 weeks after my bringing it home on the first day. They had to actually pick it up on a trailer for me after I was unable to make it to the dealer. There is a pin somewhere that was in backwards and would not allow the clutch or other part to seat correctly. After they identified it, it was a quick 10 minute fix and didn't cost me $1700. Take it back to them and tell them to check this pin. I wish I coudl remember what they called it. But search my old post it might be in there. Good luck to you!

Post 21 in the thread below could be some help.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/new-owners-forum/85841-new-busa-11-miles-major-probs-2.html

Seducer, what dealer is doing this? They're probably in my neck o' the woods.

This is absolutely an issue that s/b covered by warranty. Unless they can demonstrate abuse, they need to take of it. If the current dealer won't help, find another and speak directly to the manager, explain the situation and let him know that you're looking for a quality service center for all your service needs (dealers make more margin on service than on sales by a long shot, so they want that service business).

I'll be watching this thread and rooting for ya. Best of luck!

Coleman PowerSports in Falls Church, VA....yeah everyone is saying, move it elsewhere...I talked to them today, and they just said they don't throw customers under the bus. They truly just tell Suzuki what's wrong, and they come back with a response of covered or denied. Not sure how true this is...but that's what the dude said, and he wasn't solemn about it. He also urged me to call Suzuki, and said usually the customer will get a better resolve then they do. These are the items he said need to be replaced, and the total cost is $1,711...
*all steels and fibers
*clutch cover gasket
*oil pan gasket
*clutch hub nut
*outer clutch basket
*oil pick up screen

Apparently they told Suzuki the above information, and based on that the claim was denied....

You indicate that the gear shift indicator is working, so if the GPS (gear position sensor) is working, then the only possible scenario is the clutch piston is cocked and stuck (see above) or both shift forks sheared off, or possible the clutch springs or studs backed out. The GPS is driven off the end of the shift drum, and if 1-6 was busted up, there is no way that drum would turn. Your dealership is either crooked or stupid. Either way, you shouldn't let them touch your bike. Check clutch cylinder first. Then take off clutch cover and check clutch for studs and springs. Less than a two beer job (I always measure jobs by number of beers:laugh:)

Draco what do you take from the list of parts to replace according to the dealer?

all steels and fibers
clutch cover gasket
oil pan gasket
clutch hub nut
outer clutch basket
oil pick up screen

it looks like they think you just trashed the clutch, but my thoughts are they are trying to fix the symptoms (clutch trashed) and not the PROBLEM. They need to instead of just throwing in new clutch polates and all they need to figure out WHY the clutch burnt and I guess why the clutch bascket cracked or whatever. I think with that list of parts they would put it back together and it would stil not work or would end up the same soon because it doesn't seem like a feesable cause of what you said...

Coleman PowerSports in Falls Church, VA.....

Hmmm. Ironically, that was the first place that I tried to buy my bike and here's my experience:

1) Arrived based on sale ad for bike at $9,999 on their website. Sales guy knew nothing about it but was "good enough" to work it out anyway. Not willing to negotiate beyond offered deal at end of season with new model already out and in a down market with many other dealers ready to deal.

2) Agreed to sell me the bike on the show room floor. Noticed orange/rust colored "dust" in many of the small spaces/cracks/crevices of the bike. Salesman couldn't explain it and didn't bother to ask anyone else. Just told me it was nothing to worry about. ???

3) Put down refundable deposit.

4) A bout week later, canceled deal and requested refund, which they gave without issue. Found much better deal on a bike without UOD (unidentified Orange Dust) and was VERY happy with the personnel at Cycle Sport in Alexandria.

Colemans has a decent selection of gear but I wasn't impressed with their salesman or their service dept since, presumably, it was them that put the bike on the floor with the unidentified dust all over it. All in all, I wouldn't wanna rely on them for service.

Kind of funny that their putting you up against Suzuki. Dealers get paid for warranty work, so you'd think they'd push harder to get Suzuki to honor that warranty. ???

If I ever need dealer service, I'll be checking out Cycle Sport first. I can't vouch for their service, but the place felt more lika a bike shop and everybody I dealt with there seemed to be on point and into bikes. Colemans, on the other hand, felt more like I was just at a store and the staff were just employees.

Best of luck!

Coleman PowerSports in Falls Church, VA....yeah everyone is saying, move it elsewhere...I talked to them today, and they just said they don't throw customers under the bus. They truly just tell Suzuki what's wrong, and they come back with a response of covered or denied. Not sure how true this is...but that's what the dude said, and he wasn't solemn about it. He also urged me to call Suzuki, and said usually the customer will get a better resolve then they do. These are the items he said need to be replaced, and the total cost is $1,711...
*all steels and fibers
*clutch cover gasket
*oil pan gasket
*clutch hub nut
*outer clutch basket
*oil pick up screen

Apparently they told Suzuki the above information, and based on that the claim was denied....
Another ugly-a** mess that makes me so glad I am a knowledgeable wrench that does all my own work. Every few days I get to read another one of these nightmares :banghead: More than likely there's a simpler, easier, and much cheaper fix than what you're going through, but since you have no clue, the shop is either soaking you for all they can get, or they don't have a clue either, or you really did abuse the hell out of your brand new bike, and just not saying :laugh: There's lots of folks that will go out and beat the hell out of their new bikes, clutchless racing shifts, redline break-ins etc, because they read or were told bikes are designed to take it, and thats how you should ride them. They're a machine like any other, and can be broken if abused :laugh:

*all steels and fibers
*clutch cover gasket
*oil pan gasket
*clutch hub nut
*outer clutch basket
*oil pick up screen

Sounds like coleman needs some better techs and not some joe blows that dont know ****.

Tell them you're tired of talking to the butt, and want to talk to the head.:laugh: Seriously I'd get a second opinion.

Read most of this last night - Did anyone check for metal in the oil or oil filter from the "supposed stripped gears"? If all six gears are gone there should be some foreign matter in the oil.

Back