Help!!?? 09 won't go into gear?

Draco what do you take from the list of parts to replace according to the dealer?

all steels and fibers
clutch cover gasket
oil pan gasket
clutch hub nut
outer clutch basket
oil pick up screen

The dealership obviously doesn't know what's wrong, so they are planning on replacing the entire clutch assembly and cleaning out the bottom of the pan. If I was Suzuki, I would reject the request as well. They are not replacing the transmission, so the statement they made that "all 6 gears were gone" is false. "If" the outer basket failed and needed replacing, there are big issues. Baskets don't fail, they shatter, and when they do, many many pieces of metal end up in the pan and will quickly cause rod bearing failure. If you can start the bike up and it doesn't make tons of noise from the clutch, I doubt very much that the basket shattered. The baskets are typically good for 260 HP, and you aren't making that much power. You can pop the cover off yourself and see if the outer basket is busted (very unlikely), but if it is, I would want a new motor; not a new clutch.

Again, I believe you have a problem with a clutch master cylinder, or you had a failure or backing out of the studs / springs in the clutch. Just my opinion.

Read most of this last night - Did anyone check for metal in the oil or oil filter from the "supposed stripped gears"? If all six gears are gone there should be some foreign matter in the oil.

They did see metal in the oil, but the pick up screen apparently kept it from getting in the the engine and causing damage.

The dealership obviously doesn't know what's wrong, so they are planning on replacing the entire clutch assembly and cleaning out the bottom of the pan. If I was Suzuki, I would reject the request as well. They are not replacing the transmission, so the statement they made that "all 6 gears were gone" is false. "If" the outer basket failed and needed replacing, there are big issues. Baskets don't fail, they shatter, and when they do, many many pieces of metal end up in the pan and will quickly cause rod bearing failure. If you can start the bike up and it doesn't make tons of noise from the clutch, I doubt very much that the basket shattered. The baskets are typically good for 260 HP, and you aren't making that much power. You can pop the cover off yourself and see if the outer basket is busted (very unlikely), but if it is, I would want a new motor; not a new clutch.

Again, I believe you have a problem with a clutch master cylinder, or you had a failure or backing out of the studs / springs in the clutch. Just my opinion.

Wow, well Draco, I can crank her up and hear NOTHING. Certainly no obvious noise from the clutch. I can go up and down, the indicator shows it, yet it just doesn't engage.

Again, the exact same simptom of my friends 08 1K. He put just under 600 miles on it and then nothing. The dealer even did a dyno break-in on it right out of the crate. They said it was fine during the dyno run. But about 600 miles later, nothing but burn clutch plates. The discs are black from the slippage. I know the rider knows how to use the clutch. His CBR 929 was just fine after over 6000 miles of varied riding. He hasn't even tried to push the 1K much yet. He's got a bit of an ego, but he is no squid (even though I tease him about being one). My friend had to tow his 1K to the dealer because he couldn't get it to pull in any gear.

They did see metal in the oil, but the pick up screen apparently kept it from getting in the the engine and causing damage.

If all 6 gears are gone, there should be (at least one or two) big pieces of metal in the pan or somewhere. If they break it down ask to see the pieces of metal that come out of it.

With the miles being this low, and if the first oil change has not been done, there will be fine particles of metal in the oil from the break in. Please keep us posted.

OK Silly question: Did you (or someone else) change the oil at the 600 mile interval and use "energy conserving" oil?

There was a Technical service bulletin from suzuki{dealer only, didn't mail to owners) about clutch bolts backing out, and causing issues... obviously. Let us know if that's what they said the problem was. Hadn't heard of anyone actually having the problem yet.

THis is what I was thinking also. Has anybody heard from this guy?

sounds to me like suzuki didnt put some thread locker on the clutch bolts and they backed out like alot of others did..when the bolts come out the clutch wont grab so the gears may be spinning but there is nothing grabbing to engage the final drive...if the screws come all the way out it will tear up and eat everything inside the clutch, fibers,plates,basket everything...what the dealer needs to tell suzuki is that the bolts backed out and that was the cause of all the damage, not driver error..no thread lock on bolts did this
you will never tear up the transmission on that thing the shift forks maybe and some wear maybe but your not gonna grind gears without hearing it...

Everyone is making this way to complicated. Others have had this problem too and I'm telling you, AGAIN!!!:poke: It,s the pin in the lever for the clutch master cylinder that has gotten cocked and keeping the clutch released.

Everyone is making this way to complicated. Others have had this problem too and I'm telling you, AGAIN!!! It,s the pin in the lever for the clutch master cylinder that has gotten cocked and keeping the clutch released.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back