Won't go into Neutral when running.

wbmoore

Registered
Hi.......new guy here.

My 2000 (27,000 miles) won't go into neutral while the thing is running. It's not a problem when it's off. What should I look for ? Clutch ? M/C seems to work. Any thoughts ? Thanks. brad Moore.

Brad,
Are you missing neut or it won't shift into neut? Are you able to shift to other gears?

When was the last time you flushed hyd fluid?

:welcome: to the .org........Not sure about your problem. One of my buddies was having a similar problem not to long ago but he had problems with his cable and some other stuff cuz it was still trying to pull in other gears while you had the clutch pulled in as well. It wasn't pulling the clutch all the way in.

Its alot of knowledge here, someone will be along and help !!!

Now lets see some pics of that scoot.......:rulez:

It has (easily selected) neutral when not running. While running, it won't go into neutral from 1st to 2nd......or from 2nd to 1st. All other gears are fine. Oil is new. ???

Okay, so you have flushed the clutch master, and it skips neutral while running... subtle point, but do you mean with the clutch pulled in while stopped, or while riding?

At a complete stop, with the engine running, after pulling in the clutch I can't get it to go into neutral........it jumps from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to first. And sorry, I have not flushed the M/C yet. I just got it running a couple days ago but the gearbox seems fine.

Does the neutral light flash at all when going through? There were a lot of problems with the 99/00 clutch... with the clutch in and the bike in gear, are you able to roll the bike backwards? Also, are you able to pull the clutch in and start the bike in gear, or does the bike jump forward?

Yeah.....the neutral light blinks as I go past it. I'll try the roll back and the start-in-gear-w/clutch-in gags tomorrow. Thanks.

You would happen to have a loose sprocket cover do you? I had a customers bike that had a chrome sprocket cover that had the bolts back out and the thing would not go into neutral. Just make sure they're snug:beerchug:

Starts in gear w/ clutch pulled... no jump. Rolls backwards okay when in gear.....running and not running. Sprocket cover tight.

Thanks MC Mustang. I visited the clutch M/C and it was low........topped it off and all is well. Thanks again.

:thumbsup: Glad it was any easy fix. You should bleed out both the clutch and brake lines...sounds like it hasn't been done in a while. Make sure she has new fluids all around.

Welcome to the Org! Sounds like you are in the right place...plenty of Busa info on here!

Back