Something weird is going on ???

jumbo

Registered
When I started the Busa today something weird happened. I turned the key on put the switch to run put it in neutral (light was on) and the kick stand was down. The bike started just like normal until I let the clutch out and the bike jumped forward. Luckly I was still holding on to the bike and caught it before it hit the ground. I thought that maybe it was in a false neutral and was in gear. When I got out of work the same thing happened. The neutral light was on and the kick stand was down. After that the bike ran great without any problems no clutch slipping or anything else. The bike has about 16,000 miles on it without any major work done. So as far as I can tell 2 different safetys failed the neutral and the kick stand safety switches. Anyone have and similar problems or any suggestinons.

Check the ks switch may have loosened...My bike has never done this...

Never come across anything like that... I suggest you take it to a mechanic, or the dealership and get it checked!! Neutral & kickstand safety issues failing can get you into trouble...

Most likely only the neutral safety is the problem.  If the bike thinks it's in neutral (N light on) it will bypass the kickstand safety switch.  But take it to the shop before you drop it.  Thinking you're in neutral and letting the cluch out at an intersection with a bunch of traffic could be very bad for your health.

<!--EDIT|DennisH
Reason for Edit: "Need to learn to spell"|1125920608 -->

The funny thing it only does it at start up then no problems I'll check all of the safety switches. I'll just be more careful when I start the bike I'll be sitting on it before I let out the clutch.

That's why it's good practice to slowly let out the clutch to make sure first gear is not engaged... Good thing you caught it in time...

It's a good habit to always start the bike while applying the front brake. Slowly release the clutch while you still hold the front brake. If nothing bad happens, you can release the front brake.

Your case seems like faulty neutral sensor.

__                                      
Igor
<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:darkred'>HumpMod.com</span> <span style='color:darkred'>- The easy way</span></span>

Had to be partly in gear. Might check the neutral switch for giving a false indication. If the neutral switch tells the ECU the bike is not in gear, it will ignore the sidestand switch. Letting the clutch out cautiously after starting is a good practice, regardless of what your indicator might be showing.
To check the sidestand switch, simply put the bike in gear and try to start it with the sidestand down. If it won't start, the sidestand switch is ok.
The nuetral switch could be worn in such a way that it will turn on the light and give the ECU a neutral signal when the trans is not quite all the way in neutral.

<!--EDIT|bronc3
Reason for Edit: None given...|1126217386 -->

Thanks for all the replies. I always let the clutch out slow just in case it is in gear but when I start the bike I am usually standing on the side not sitting on the bike that is why I almost lost it. Now when I start it I am sitting on it and before I let the clutch out I grab both bars and have the brake on. It has only happened the two times in the same day. It hasn't done it since but I am very cautious anytime I start it. I have not had the time to look at the sensors yet will probably do it over my days off.

Never trust electronics buddy...I would ALWAYS manually ensure that you have a true neutral before starting the thing.

Back