Heli Bar Installation

frankw

Registered
Can anyone offer some installation suggestions for Heli Bars on a 2007. I could use some good advice before starting the job - don't want to booger anything up!

Thanks

Get yourself a towel and cover your tank to prevent any dents or scratches first. I took the 4 bolts off that hold the top clamp on. Then removed the stock bars from the upper clamp. Transfered all the controls over to the new helibars and then installed the helibar with the controls back into the clamp. One side at a time and and take your time. Piece of cake! Oh... dont forget to reroute your fast idle cable either. I found it easier to do by actually removing the cable from the actuall lever since it is apart when you take it off the stock bar.

IMG_0969.jpg

Get yourself a towel and cover your tank to prevent any dents or scratches first. I took the 4 bolts off that hold the top clamp on. Then removed the stock bars from the upper clamp. Transfered all the controls over to the new helibars and then installed the helibar with the controls back into the clamp. One side at a time and and take your time. Piece of cake! Oh... dont forget to reroute your fast idle cable either. I found it easier to do by actually removing the cable from the actuall lever since it is apart when you take it off the stock bar.

IMG_0969.jpg
Thanks for the help.

That's a good write up, but can you be more detailed?? Like how do the grips come off?? Do you just unscrew the bar ends and they slide off, or do you have to cut the girps off and then take the rest of the stuff off??? What bolts/screws need to be loosened???

I use rubbing alcohol. Find a syringe and shoot some inside from the top. Wait a few seconds and off they come.

To re-install use some hair spray.

I was told but can not verify that Heli recomends not using any tie downs from the bars. Not sure if this is valid or not.

r8

I took the bar ends off and then gently pushed a flathead screw driver under it to get it free from the bar... then like runeight said, i used hairspray to stick it back on. The throttle side will slide off after you remove the screws from the controls that hold it on the bar if i'm not mistaken.

I also used a long thin screwdriver pushed up the inside of the grip and then just rolled the screwdriver and it broke the adhesive loose.

The single bolt that holds the bar in the clamp must be completely removed as it fits in a slot cut in the bar.

The other thing is the alignment of the levers and cylinders. Note the "clock" position and where the parting line of the clamps are and where they are on the bar.

The stock mounts have a "punch" mark on the bar to align with, the new helibars do not have the mark. Not a big deal but a good idea so you at least have an idea where to line them up with

I also used a long thin screwdriver pushed up the inside of the grip and then just rolled the screwdriver and it broke the adhesive loose.  

The single bolt that holds the bar in the clamp must be completely removed as it fits in a slot cut in the bar.

The other thing is the alignment of the levers and cylinders.  Note the "clock" position and where the parting line of the clamps are and where they are on the bar.  

The stock mounts have a "punch" mark on the bar to align with, the new helibars do not have the mark. Not a big deal but a good idea so you at least have an idea where to line them up with
My helibars had the "punch" mark"... keeps me from being able to rotate my controls a little bit and it causes my brake fluid resivor to hit my windscreen.

I know this is too late for you guys, the easiest way to remove and reinstall your grips without damage to them. you have to have an air compressor and a blower with a tapered end. Insert the tip at the end of the bar and grip. Inflate the grip, it will expand like a balloon enough to break the glue loose and slide it off, keep applying air until it comes off. Reinstall the same way. Do not use solvents and the grip will go back in place without slipping and turning.

Back