Heck, you're my age....

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJAY

Registered
So my Hayabusa riding "friend" is slugging through beltway traffic, bumper to bumper, 5 mph stop and go, finally coming up to the other highway that is only for HOV this time of the morning. Ahh, HOV on a bike is sweet release after 15 minutes of hell on a crawling freeway.

As my friend starts fighting his way across 3 lanes of nearly stopped traffic, he sees another biker just merging onto the highway (the stopped one). Looks like a bagger, some kind of Harley. So as he merges all the way into the right lane a dozen car lengths in front of the merging biker, he gives a friendly wave and a wish of "good luck" to his poor brother about to merge into this awful traffic that he is finally leaving.

The traffic in the right exit lane thins out as the last of the non-HOV traffic fights their way left onto the beltway, and my friend starts to upshift, up to 3rd, 4th, and so on into 6th. Finally onto the big curving ramp proper. He's had enough - just crack the throttle open, up to maybe 80 or 90, but he's busier looking at traffic on the HOV as he merges. A little jiggling, and into the leftmost lane for a bit to pass a big van before the highway shifts down from 3 lanes to just two. Now in front, he settles down to a sedate 75 or so, cruising in the crisp morning air.

A minute or so later he notices blue lights flashing in the mirrors.

Right signals on, start drifting to the right lane, onto the shoulder, full stop, key off. Harley dresser pulls up left. Peel off gloves, hands aren't shaking yet because the adrenaline hasn't quite kicked in. Unzip the stupid bright yellow vest and the armored jacket. Fumble for the wallet inside.

How fast was I going?

About 85.

That's pretty fast.

That's 30 over.

Yep, I guess so.

Wallet retrieved. Looking through it, the first card my friend pulls out is the military ID, cause that one gets used more than the drivers license. He leaves it out in plain sight while he searches for the license. It can't hurt. Finds the license and hands it over.

Hmmm. Where's your inspection sticker?

Up there on the left fork.

(The officer gets off his bike, leans over and checks)
You just had it done this month.... I usually like to see it out in plain sight.

Maybe I could put it here on the swingarm next time.

That'd work. Some guys make a little plate for it so they don't mess up their bike.

Yeah, I should do that.

(looks at the license again)
You know, if I give you a ticket, you're going to get an automatic reckless driving citation and you'll lose your license.

Sigh.

Heck, you're my age. (50) You really shouldn't be riding like that.

Yeah, I know. I guess it was the freedom of finally breaking out of that traffic back on the beltway.

I've pulled a lot of guys out of ditches, and from under cars. I don't like doing that. You really shouldn't be riding like that.

Yeah, it was stupid.

You've been riding a long time.
(looks the gear up and down, full face helmet, armor pants and jacket, and the yellow safety vest)

Over 30 years. What do you ride for yourself?

I had a (some kind of Harley). Stroked to 106 inches with S&S cams.

Nice bike. I’ve still got a Sportster at home. And this.

Yeah, but I sold it. I ride this 10 hours a day and it’s not much fun for myself.

Know what you mean. I used to be a mechanic. Liked it, but all my friends kept bringing their bikes over for work. Who wants to keep working in their off time?

I was a parts manager for 10 years at an auto dealership after I got out of the military. But I got tired of it. So now I ride this and write tickets for traffic enforcement.

That’s important, too. And you get outside more. That’s a nice bike.

Once you get used to one of these, you'll never want to ride anything else.

(my friend stifles the urge to say something similar about the Busa).
Yeah, I should look at something like that next. It sure would be nice to have some bags.

I’m gonna give you a warning. Shoot, you’re my age. You really should know better.

It was stupid of me. If you pulled my file, you’d see my record is clean.

I don’t need to. You handled the bike fine through that turn back there. But it’s those cagers I worry about. They don’t know how to handle it when you go by them that fast. They do stupid things. (hands back the license).

I really appreciate this. I appreciate your advice, too. It won’t happen again.

Just be careful. Ride safe.

You too.

My friend puts his license away, but now the adrenaline is finally kicking in and his hands are shaking a bit. He calms down, zips up, gloves on, and moves safely back into traffic with the Harley behind. He doesn't know why he got off, but the officer probably expected some 22 year old squid on a bike like that. Maybe it was his obvious safety gear, his proper turn signals, a legal, inspected bike, the military connection, his age, or his attitude. Maybe it was the friendly wave before this all started, but whatever, he's grateful, on multiple levels. My friend would like to thank some unknown traffic enforcement officer and brother rider. Your words of advice have not gone unheeded.

And heck, you're his age. :laugh:

Last edited:
So he's selling the hayabusa and walking right????

If not he'll speed again...

he did nothing but kiss a revenue generator's butt and lie to his face....

and the sad thing is the cop knew he was lied to.

if the lesson stuck all HE would need is a gs500e.

You can go 55mph and 65mph..hell even 70 in some states and not break his promise. Anything faster than that and well..he wasnt listening..

Like Gary said, If he rides the busa again..hes lying. Who can honestly say they NEVER go above the posted limit EVER..whats the point of getting a 175hp bike? And dammit Dont tell me you bought a busa for the road course:rofl:

I speed, and I admit to it. I am IMO safer than any idiot who goes 60mph in the passing lane.. I do not cause road rage when I am in and out of your driving area in .4 seconds. I do not ride beyond my limits..But our 1960's era SPEED LIMITS WERE NOT CREATED BASED ON TODAY's vehicles and braking capabilities, let alone sportbikes..

So he's selling the hayabusa and walking right????

If not he'll speed again...

he did nothing but kiss a revenue generator's butt and lie to his face....

and the sad thing is the cop knew he was lied to.

A revenue generator's butt? What a sad way to see all motor officers, and what an insult to those of us who put our lives on the line for a whole career working traffic. When I think of times I saved lives or took evil people off the street so thoughtless people like suzuki4life could throw insults at me....wow, I really was just a revenue generator. It sucks to read this crap on my beloved org, I guess I just have to take the bad with all the good.
By the way, I think the opening post did not include lies, it included a concerned cop and a worried and honest motorcyclist. Raydog

I see both sides Raydog...

I mean, I understand "its your job.." to pull people over.. but it IS just a revenue generator when it comes down to it..

Heres what I mean: You dont want people to speed or cause traffic violations right?

Well you know, as well as anyone, what the breakdown of a citation money flow looks like..who all gets paid from that ticket..

Say EVERYONE in your state decided to stop speeding and committing any type of traffic violation (this is impossible from a mathematical standpoint, but humour me). How in the world would judges and everyone else get paid? It would be an EMERGENCY! Taxes would raise.. etc.. riots...
It sounds like a revenue generator to me. The underlying principle is good..but it is abused.

Speeding, to me, as a crime is silly in most situations.. In school zones, around other people, and in town, sure... but it is abused because there is NO lawmaker for lawmakers..and they can create their paychecks.... cat fund? LMAO...:rofl:

I mean, I understand "its your job.." to pull people over.. but it IS just a revenue generator when it comes down to it..

Heres what I mean: You dont want people to speed or cause traffic violations right?

Well you know, as well as anyone, what the breakdown of a citation money flow looks like..who all gets paid from that ticket..

Say EVERYONE in your state decided to stop speeding and committing any type of traffic violation (this is impossible from a mathematical standpoint, but humour me). How in the world would judges and everyone else get paid? It would be an EMERGENCY! Taxes would raise.. etc.. riots...
It sounds like a revenue generator to me. The underlying principle is good..but it is abused.

Speeding, to me, as a crime is silly in most situations.. In school zones, around other people, and in town, sure... but it is abused because there is NO lawmaker for lawmakers..and they can create their paychecks.... cat fund? LMAO...:rofl:

And doctors would be out of work if cancer was cured..... keep trying.

Raydog, thanks for your service, however you understand the 1st Amendment Rights well I'm sure and as hard as it is, you just got to let it roll off your back. It's got to the point where I see or hear this stuff and laugh.

Rashad, you do good posts, I enjoy what you have to say. Look, if we describe professions based on a personal experience or a half truth, we are weak. I did a career as a copper in Los Angeles, I probably wrote thousands of tickets....AND NOT ONE OF THEM WAS BASED ON TRYING TO GENERATE MONEY FOR A GOVERNMENTAL ENTITY. Nor did I ever loose one in court, why? Because they were all real violations that affected the safety of the community, no borderline stuff. I might add I also let thousands off with a warning, based on road and/or vehicle conditions, nature of violation, etc. (90mph at 3pm on an empty freeway is a lot different than narrowly missing an old lady in a crosswalk).
Here's the point....if you were me, you'd be pissed too if someone out of hand refers to you as a "revenue generator". I'll never forget the night I picked up a motorcyclist's brains with a clipboard and dumped it into a plastic bag for the coronor's deputy...I'll carry that with me as closely as the loss of my partners in Viet Nam.
I resent being marginalized into a simple job description like that and will always stick up for those that don't run from shots fired incidents, they stay so the communities peacefulness may be restored. It's a complex job, and I've said enough. Doyle

Rashad, you do good posts, I enjoy what you have to say. Look, if we describe professions based on a personal experience or a half truth, we are weak. I did a career as a copper in Los Angeles, I probably wrote thousands of tickets....AND NOT ONE OF THEM WAS BASED ON TRYING TO GENERATE MONEY FOR A GOVERNMENTAL ENTITY. Nor did I ever loose one in court, why? Because they were all real violations that affected the safety of the community, no borderline stuff. I might add I also let thousands off with a warning, based on road and/or vehicle conditions, nature of violation, etc. (90mph at 3pm on an empty freeway is a lot different than narrowly missing an old lady in a crosswalk).
Here's the point....if you were me, you'd be pissed too if someone out of hand refers to you as a "revenue generator". I'll never forget the night I picked up a motorcyclist's brains with a clipboard and dumped it into a plastic bag for the coronor's deputy...I'll carry that with me as closely as the loss of my partners in Viet Nam.
I resent being marginalized into a simple job description like that and will always stick up for those that don't run from shots fired incidents, they stay so the communities peacefulness may be restored. It's a complex job, and I've said enough. Doyle

:thumbsup: I like this post.

Thank you raydog, DO3, and all the other coppers around here.

A revenue generator's butt? What a sad way to see all motor officers, and what an insult to those of us who put our lives on the line for a whole career working traffic. When I think of times I saved lives or took evil people off the street so thoughtless people like suzuki4life could throw insults at me....wow, I really was just a revenue generator. It sucks to read this crap on my beloved org, I guess I just have to take the bad with all the good.
By the way, I think the opening post did not include lies, it included a concerned cop and a worried and honest motorcyclist. Raydog

I couldn't agree more, Ray. I never once sensed a lie. It was a good exchange of respect.

Great story, Ajay! Well written. Very entertaining! Thank you!

when people doing your job are held accountable and must follow the same laws that we "civilians" do.....then I will believe that people out there writing speeding tickets are something more than a way top generate money for a corrupt government.

I recommend people do a search on you tube for "Jimmy Justice". Yes it is petty but it is blatant representation that police are above the law. Until everyone is held accountable on equal planes...we will never truly have "liberty, and justice for all."

I am glad that this "friend" got a break from a revenue generator. However, I would rather hear an infinite amount of stories of people being held accountable for their actions equally than a few who for whatever reason got "breaks". I would really like to hear the reasoning for this "break" if he had to explain it....since he left a hefty speeding ticket AND a reckless charge go uncollected. Sounds like he lost his employer a good deal of money. Oh well, some extra taxes will cover it :rofl::rofl:

I've been with the KCPD for 16yrs. Men and women getting shot at, maybe if you were with them on one of those occasions when they're dodging bullets you would have a different outlook, and they would be called something other than revenue generators. Thank you for running in while others are running away.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

you honestly don't think your government wants "civilians" to breaks laws so they can issue tickets thus generate money?

The corruption starts at the top and trickles down. I am sure you as a police officer have never exceeded the speed limit on your hayabusa on public roads and if you did, I am sure you issued yourself a citation which you paid and suffered its full penalty....right? Please man, Hold your shield up extra high, tell me how I am eternally in your debt because you chose to apply for a civil servant job and then please tell me that you do it all from the kind grace of your heart and you donate all the salary to charity

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

man government must only be corrupt on the east coast.

I don’t need to. You handled the bike fine through that turn back there. But it’s those cagers I worry about. They don’t know how to handle it when you go by them that fast. They do stupid things. (hands back the license).

So much truth in the above statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back