Hayabusa vs 14R vs CBR1100XX

Ditch

Registered
To make this simple, let me just put some topics in order in case anyone here has some answers for me comparing these bikes. I've owned a ZX14R and XX in the past, looking for a sport touring bike that will exceed at cornering and comfortable enough to get to far away roads.

1) Handling, handling, handling! I very much dislike the 14R's handling, the slightest bumps make it want to stand up, especially at mild lean angles, it feels like your butt is 6 inches higher than it should be and the monocoque frame is so stiff there is no feel whatsoever. The CBRXX however, once the suspension is sublime, absolutely amazing for a 500lb bike.

2) Engine Heat. The CBR has a terrible design and it was hot as all hell. The ZX14R has a well designed cooling system and hot AS HELL. I hear it's a non-issue on the Busa

3) Bar Buzz. My hands are prone to going numb and I hear the Busa does have some buzz to it above 6K, but I'm only concerned about the 4K zone for highway cruising.

4) The only Suzuki's I've had are Bandits, both of which tipped in and give extreme confidence felt like the tires were one with the pavement but also willing to tighten your at will. I'm actually trying to talk myself out of another 1250 because the engine was not very exciting. Is this a Suzuki thing? Do they just feel really nice and planted?

Thanks in advance!

Either owned or ridden nearly every thing you can guess. My bird is by far temp cooler than every bike I owned except a DR650.
Handles far better than ZX14 / black bird/ zx11 with suspension mods. The ZX12 might have been a touch better, but it's been 10 years ago. It's hard to beat.
DSC_3164.JPG

There is nothing wrong with a ZX14s suspension...only that it apparently wasn't set correctly for Your weight.

I weight 160 and used sport riders setting. The biggest problem I had was with where it carried it's weight, and how I felt disconnected from it, felt like I was hovering over the top of it.

Forgot to address vibration. Minor @ 4500 rpms. Running 19/43 with a 190/55 tire your going 90 plus mph wind direction dependant. With stock tire 18/43 ( stock gearing) it's 80 plus mph.
It is a non issue

Only when I have a full tank does it feel even a little top heavy , but it is not ever an issue , and also doesn't feel like that tank weight is riding overly high . The Busa possesses an inherent confidence inspiring planted feel from factory . Pull the trigger bro !!:thumbsup:

That's what I wanted to hear, is a lot of that feeling from the long reach to the bars? Do you think some of that would go away with a LSL bar riser kit?

That's what I wanted to hear, is a lot of that feeling from the long reach to the bars? Do you think some of that would go away with a LSL bar riser kit?

That might just do the trick for people with short or normal length arms. It’s never been an issue for me as I have a 37” reach. All my shirts and jackets are LONG and the reach to the bars is perfect for me. After 12 years of aging and over 60K on the Busa I finally put Heli-Bars on to help the back of my neck when going slowly downhill. They raise me up and back just a tad so when I’m craning to see the tops of the teees my neck doesn’t hurt.:D I do notice a bit more wind buffeting my helmet at speed due to my slightly raised riding position but it’s not a problem.

Well C10 for example , runs that type of set up and swears by it , I imagine the leverage gained by doing it would be excellent , kind of old school superbike race bar trick . Helibars also have good reviews on here , they would be worth looking into I guess as well . I went kind of different as well , but are a lower set up and also back , basically because of Brembo master cylinder fouling on inner fairing .
Anyway , with your weight you should have a great power to weight on the Busa , and possibly be able to move your weight around at will to extract even better turning results from the bike . I ain't as lithe as some , so I envy those that are more agile in the saddle !! :thumbsup:

I'm 5 ' 1" 142 lb , and run the LSL kit with super bike bar bend . I'm still lightly leaned forward , but nothing like stock . Tried heli bars 1st , and it was not quiet enough . Fyi the KTM is former busa owner Jeff Davis that piloted Were2 ( custom plate of his gen 2 busa ) he misses the busa , and its punch , Says the KTM 1290 is great , but no top end hit . The LSL kit also drops 4 pounds of the bike . The Bird is not as good as my R6 , but is good enough to be the king of my stable . No other bikes except my wife's Bandit , and she rides almost as much as I do .
Next year ( January ) been given the ok to upgrade to light weight wheels . This will be the icing on the cake .

I own a Gen1 ZX-14 and a Gen2 busa. The busa is a better bike in every way. Ever so slightly better, but better. Only exception is speed. They're equal there. The 14 is a lot easier to do routine maintenance on.

1) Handling. The 14's forks are floaty in cornering no matter what I did. I got used to it but the busas stock suspension is much more stable without being harsh.

2) Heat. The 14 is definitely throwing off more heat. I can feel it and I can see it in the color of the oil. The 14's oil is black within a thousand miles. The busa is onlt dark brown after 2500 when I change it.

3) Buzz. The busa lacks the extra crankshaft balancers the 14 has but I really can't tell a difference. You won't be riding long over 6000 rpm and at normal engine speeds, there are no serious vibes with either bike. Maybe the footpegs just a bit on the 14. It's a sport bike. My busa has a gentle vibe in the windscreen at idle but that's all I notice. The 14, has a brief buzz a little higher but it goes away quickly. Not a problem.

4) The busa feels lighter in a corner. I'm more confident in a tight turn at all speeds. I'm sure neither bike feels as nimble as a 1000 or 600 but the busa is better than the 14.

If you are into out and out power, the Gen2 14R shines. Easier to launch and just a lot more hp than the busa now has. Get a turbo for the busa and you're back in the game and then some.

The busa has some nice stock features that are race/sport riding oriented that the 14 doesn't have. The busa looks, sounds and feels more refined.

I weight 160 and used sport riders setting. The biggest problem I had was with where it carried it's weight, and how I felt disconnected from it, felt like I was hovering over the top of it.

There's your problem, you used someone else's settings.
Suspension sag is set to the specific rider's weight. And fine tuned on the road side.
No disrespect at all, but you can't expect good handling from a bike that is improperly set up.

I have a friend with an '05 Busa, I'll see if I can talk her into trying my 919 and sneak a ride on it. The only problem will he her insistence on using DOT race takeoff's but I'm sure I'll be able to get an idea.

I forgot about the other reason I sold my 14R and I doubt it will be any better on this bike but, it was very frustrating to hold back on the throttle.
Good news is, if the bike is a good as the forum support I'm sure I'll have to get one :super:

There again, if her Busa, or any sportbike, has not had the suspension sag set for the rider's weight, including gear...it is Not going to handle correctly.
That would also be Your weight in gear for the test ride, not hers.
Many people do not understand suspension, if they even know it needs set up at all, and in turn, many people then draw an uninformed opinion that a certain bike does not handle well, and big bikes like the Busa and zx14 suffer from enough of that as is.
When they can actually handle as good as a 600 or 1k, minus the extra weight and slightly less lean angle (wider bikes).
Learn about suspension sag, and it will take your riding to a whole new level!:beerchug:

As six said. Here you can see my rear shock is on its softest setting to get correct sag for as light as I am with the bags attached { another 26 lb} really need a softer spring. However I'm waiting to upgrade to a custom built shock for my bike / rider weight.
Keep in mind I reduced bike weight by nearly 60 pounds.

15276951980892085637502861620400.jpg

Back