Have a bud that rode 4500 miles in 5 years, hasn't changed syn oil/filter until now

Re: Have a bud that rode 4500 miles in 5 years, hasn't changed syn oil/filter until n

The good synthetic oils like Mobil 1 hold up very well under shear loads (sliding piston rings, meshing gears, cam lobes on shims), so the oil stays intact. Conventional dino oils break down under shear and the molecules react with water to form harmful acids. This doesn't happen with good synthetics. Note that all synthetic oils are the same. There are some cheapie synthetics (like the Walmart house brand) that are not worth buying. Will look for a reference if I have time.

On the other hand, I think it's only smart to pull your fairings at least once a year and have a look around for safety and maintenance no matter what oil you have. Maybe this comes from being an airplane owner where the difference between a running engine and a dead engine is life and death.

Re: Have a bud that rode 4500 miles in 5 years, hasn't changed syn oil/filter until n

New bike 4500 no problem if you're check'in level... and it OK... I agree you want pull fairings just to look everything over rust, leaks,wear, safety every season. AND - if you got the fairings off you might as well go ahead a change oil and filter. :poke:

Also - should be atleast the second oil change. Ofter lots of slag in first oil change...

I change my oil with Amsoil between 5-7K miles. I do a lot of interstate riding because of my 120 mile round trip commute. Bike runs like it was new and I am comfortable with the mileage I put on the bike between changes.

I don't ride much, 2,500 miles a year. Last year, after one year I changed my oil and had it analyzed. It was good as new. I'm past a year now and if it wasn't for those $^^%&* plastic fairings, I would change it, but through the sight glass it still looks golden.
I have to say, pulling the plastics for an oil change is a nuisance on the busa, if I could stretch my oil changes out longer I definately would. I have multiple bikes and a busy life, some time saved for more riding would be nice. According to a link in a post earlier, a guy went 16 years and 265 miles on his oil and it tested fine. I've never actually seen a test or any actual info proving the whole acid build-up in oil from sitting? Maybe we're all changing our oils too soon :laugh:
My turbo 14 is easy to change the oil/filter on, nothing needs to be removed, you just remove the filter and replace, new oil and its done. Good thing because I change it every 2500 miles or so :thumbsup:
Maybe when we're all riding electric bikes we can save some time on the friggin' maintainence....

Back