Have a bud that rode 4500 miles in 5 years, hasn't changed syn oil/filter until now

2Wheels2Live

Registered
I have a riding bud that uses Mobil 1 full syn bike oil, and a suzuki filter. He's rode about 4500 miles total in the last 5 years on his busa, and hasn't changed the oil or filter. He's going to change it for the beginning of this riding season and plans on doing something similiar again depending on miles rode. He said he's been doing that for years with his seldom ridden bikes. I rode his bike with 5 year old syn oil and suzi filter and it ran just as smooth as my busa with a fresh change of the exact same oil and filter as he runs. What do you guys think of that oil change interval? :laugh: He does have some higher mileage bikes that run great and he says he's been doing that since synthetic oils came out. He always uses factory oil filters as well. Interesting to say the least eh?

Re: Have a bud that rode 4500 miles in 5 years, hasn't changed syn oil/filter until n

i would be interested in seeing the results from tests run on that oil...i guess if it's working for him, more power to him...my bike does that kind of mileage about every 2 or 3 months, sometimes in 1 month :thumbsup:

Re: Have a bud that rode 4500 miles in 5 years, hasn't changed syn oil/filter until n

I don't see a problem with the milage but I would change it atleast once a year.

They say the oil is good for far more than most people give it credit for, my motor doesn't wanna found out tho.
Can,ya convince him to send it in to be analyzed? Get some.solid tech info on it for us to argue over? :laugh:

Smellphone via Forum Runner

I have a few bikes that do not get ridden very often and , I have been known to change the oil out evey other year,,Mobil I
Mike

They say the oil is good for far more than most people give it credit for, my motor doesn't wanna found out tho.
Can,ya convince him to send it in to be analyzed? Get some.solid tech info on it for us to argue over? :laugh:

Smellphone via Forum Runner
Actually Frog I will try and get a sample and send it off to Blackstone myself :thumbsup: I was more concerned with the filter falling apart over that amount of time. But he said he's never had an issue. Maybe I'll get his filter too and cut her open just to give us some good info :laugh:
BTW here's a link to a thread in Bobstheoilguy, with an oil analysis from a guys bike that didn't have the oil changed for 16 years and 265 miles!!!!! And the oil itself tested fine! :laugh: Castrol GTX car oil even :rofl: 1979 KZ1000, Castrol GTX 10w40, 16 years on oil. - Bob Is The Oil Guy
According to this guy 5 years is nuthin' :laugh:

Would it the old oil damage the clutch fibers at all? Even though it is not broken down I wonder how much water is in the oil after low miles and 4 years.

:dunno:It may be just fine but a fresh oil change at least every year is cheap insurance.

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

I ran my pickup truck on Mobil 1 with oil changes every 30,000 miles. First oil change was dino oil at 250 miles, then changed to Mobil 1 at 2500 miles. Oil would stay golden between changes and I don't think it ever went down as much as half a quart between changes. Sold the truck after 10 years with maybe 110,000 miles.

I remember when Mobil 1 came out it had 100,000 miles on the front lable, they got sued by car companies looking for service business. I work in the oil business and have no doubt a true synthetic oil can last that long, a good filter will too. A long as he ran it every now and then there should be n water in the oil. Heat cycles and fuel dilution damages the oil, still I would change every year at least.

3 words to this topic

"Aint My Ride"

Hell go for 10,000 I am rooting for ya Champ!

not for me and my busa???

amsoil says 1yr 100k miles still doesnt it?

5 years of acid build up. Poster child of why not to buy a used bike.

I remember when Mobil 1 came out it had 100,000 miles on the front lable, they got sued by car companies looking for service business. I work in the oil business and have no doubt a true synthetic oil can last that long, a good filter will too. A long as he ran it every now and then there should be n water in the oil. Heat cycles and fuel dilution damages the oil, still I would change every year at least.
He says he averages about 900-1000 miles a season, broken down into smaller rides, so it sounds like its getting enough use to keep it fairly moisture free? I suggested he change the oil once a year but he said 900 miles is a waste of expensive synthetic. Plus he said the busa's oil filter is way too hard to get to to change every year with so little mileage per season. The busa is his only plastic covered bike, he says its a pita to work on, only thing he hates about it. He broke the side panel getting it off the first time and had to buy another :whistle:
The drain plug is easy to reach, I think I might suggest he just change the oil every other year and leave the filter on until he reaches his 4500-5000 mile mark and then change it as well, what do you guys think? It sounds like the filter will make 5 years or so no problem?

5 years of acid build up. Poster child of why not to buy a used bike.
Dude, you totally read my mind....I change the oil/filter at 2500m and use Motul 5200 semi syn. 10-40, in all my bikes. with all the reving. Absoluty.... Ya I waste oil, so what. It's better than wasting the engine.

I tried to talk some sense into him, but he said he's going to run his syn until it hits 4500-5000 miles regardless how long it takes :laugh:

I don't ride much, 2,500 miles a year. Last year, after one year I changed my oil and had it analyzed. It was good as new. I'm past a year now and if it wasn't for those $^^%&* plastic fairings, I would change it, but through the sight glass it still looks golden.

I don't ride much, 2,500 miles a year. Last year, after one year I changed my oil and had it analyzed. It was good as new. I'm past a year now and if it wasn't for those $^^%&* plastic fairings, I would change it, but through the sight glass it still looks golden.
Hmm, maybe he's on to something. I don't much like pulling the pita plastics off mine either. For the next oil change I'm going to try and remove as little as possible to get to my filter. I've read of some guys reaching through the lower fairing vent to get the filter, others just loosen the fairing up at the bottom and pry it away enough to get to the filter. The 14's have a cut-out so you can reach the filter without removing anything. VERY VERY easy. Talk about thinking of the owner :thumbsup: Come on suzuki ???
I have to say his oil looks great through the site glass, and I rode his bike and it ran and shifted smooth as any :laugh:

Back