"Harley nation" is friggin' boring

bjewell

Registered
Took the Bus for a quick putt up the Garden Highway Sunday afternoon.  Beautiful day, sunny, in the 70s just great.  Ended up at the boat ramp under H.5, where I ran into a young guy on a Honda 600.  We had a nice chat about bikes, Across the way was a parking lot for a burger joint.  There were maybe a dozen Harleys coming and going, all of the riders dressed identically, blatting along on their new hogs.

I've had Harleys before, most recently a sano '02 Softail Standard that was pretty trick.  Passing these guys in the opposite direction, they never wave and appear constipated trying to look macho.  To my eyes, they looked like nine-year-olds on tricycles with streamers -- slow, noisy and a bit dorky.

I headed over to the airport, watched the jets take off for a half hour and cruised back to East Sac in the number one lane at 75 -- 90mph.  Absolute comfort, vibration free and feeling happy on a beautiful Easter.

I could see keeping an Electraglide as a long-haul tourer, but as far as I'm conerned, the so-called Harley nation is so yesterday...

As we use to say; "If you've got to prove it, YOU Aren't"
laugh.gif

Hmmm, you watched planes take off for a half hour and the Harley crowd (not bothering anyone) was boring to you? Am I missing something here, or are you?

I dunno, sitting peacefully on Easter, blue sky and springtime in the air, watching the planes take off a few hundred feet overhead seemed better than seeing a bunch of fat guys revving their motors...but
YMMV :- )

Yeah, I feel ya on the Harley herd mentallity thing.

I have adopted a 'That Guy' to my lexicon.

'That Guy' is the guy with:
The brand new, skin tight jeans - blue or black, dont matter.
Brand new local Harley shop, black t-shirt.
Concho infested black belt with any of a mind numbing selection of buckles.
New leather vest, logo'd works best.
Oh, and my fave... the doo-rag. This 'That Guy' has never been in the same room with one but now, its on and lightening bolts around his head are a near must!
Gotta have the boots too! Yep, they have NEVER been scuffed and he walks like there are sea urchins on the inside of them - thats why his arms are flexed as he walks.
And yes, THAT GUY has a brand new, slow and noisy Harley with his 'that chick' on the back.
Finally, dont get mad at 'That Guy' for not waving as he passes. He is not aware that his bike can be operated with one hand!

My wife and I just chuckle.
I'd have loved to been there watching the planes too!

"Wild Hogs" seems to be more reality than a movie.

I know...I'll overpay for an under engineered, under powered, over weight, machine that I can spend more money for a "SCREAMING EAGLE" package (that should already be in every bike just to make them bearable) so I can ride down the blvd and park outside of hooters in my new Harley shirt  
tounge.gif

u38693lk7an.jpg

Dear Friends

I've never understood the Harley phenomenon.

What does a Harley do? I can't think of any answer. It's two-wheeled transportation with a characteristic sound and lots of chrome.

What does a sportbike do? It moves your butt at warp speed! There's a lot of technology involved in developing sportbikes. They actually do something. They may look fast, but they're much faster!

I just don't appreciate Harleys as artful engineering, but I'm fascinated by sportbikes.

Want to hang your hands high and vibrate? Get a Harley. Want to go from a standstill to 60mph in less than three seconds? Get a sportbike.

I enjoy watching planes take off, too. There's a lot of technology behind each takeoff.

--Jaddie

Riding Down J Street Saturday Night on my Blue and White Boulevard was an Experiance to say the Least.  Most Harley Rider's wanted to Pull up to My Bike to See What Brand was on the Gas Tank..  Then they Rode Off not Uddering a Word......

018.JPG

Riding Down J Street Saturday Night on my Blue and White Boulevard was an Experiance to say the Least.  Most Harley Rider's wanted to Pull up to My Bike to See What Brand was on the Gas Tank..  Then they Rode Off not Uddering a Word......
That is one georgous RV you have there Boss!
clap.gif
 Did you see what (we) saw Saturday?
whistling.gif

ThumbsUp.gif
 Say Bill, I hear you're sore for some reason???  Don't I have ten years on you and (you) were tired?
lol1.gif

DSCN0175__Medium_.JPG

"they never wave and appear constipated trying to look macho"
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
I see this all the time! they just dont seem to be having any fun riding. But I guess to them we are just those dam* crotch rocket riding kids! and im 34! i think?
thumb_up.gif

rofl.gif

rofl.gif

That is one georgous RV you have there Boss!
clap.gif
 Did you see what (we) saw Saturday?
whistling.gif

ThumbsUp.gif
 Say Bill, I hear you're sore for some reason???  Don't I have ten years on you and (you) were tired?
lol1.gif
Premonition................. Wait I am Getting a Premonition.....I see.....I see...... a lot of "BEN GAY" and "GERITOL" in the Near Future......
SHOCKED.gif

You know, I rode a Harley for, well since 1973, till last year, and there used to be such a "we don't like the Jap bikes" attitude always around. But here lately, it has changed a lot. I know, since I ride my Busa with them a lot now.
I figured I would get the cold shoulder treatment from them, but it is more envy now, since I have the fastest bike on any ride we go on.
race.gif

It really is fun to know that the fastest Harley there couldn't begin to keep up with me, and I would still have a gear or two left.
thumb_up.gif
rofl.gif

Oh yeah, and if there is ever a noise ticket given out by a LEO, I will never get it.
laugh.gif

I guess what I'm trying to say is DON'T YOU COP A "HARLEY" ATTITUDE.

It almost sounds like some of the people here are trying to say everyone should live up to their ideals.
Isn't that just what you are complaining about the Harley crowd?
rock.gif
?
Hey, everyone is different, thank God for that, or we would all be on the same bike.

Sorry for the rant,
It just started to sound like some of the same old shid that turned me off about riding with the Harley crowd. Come on now, I don't need that **** here also.
guns.gif

I still always wave to all of the bikes I pass, even the Harleys and all the others too.

They are a "little" stuck on black cloths. LOL
But, I like my leathers black too....LOL
beerchug.gif

You know, I rode a Harley for, well since 1973, till last year, and there used to be such a "we don't like the Jap bikes" attitude always around. But here lately, it has changed a lot. I know, since I ride my Busa with them a lot now.
I figured I would get the cold shoulder treatment from them, but it is more envy now, since I have the fastest bike on any ride we go on.  
race.gif

It really is fun to know that the fastest Harley there couldn't begin to keep up with me, and I would still have a gear or two left.
thumb_up.gif

rofl.gif

Oh yeah, and if there is ever a noise ticket given out by a LEO, I will never get it.
laugh.gif

It almost sounds like some of the people here are trying to say everyone should live up to their ideals.
rock.gif
?
Hey, everyone is different, thank God for that, or we would all be on the same bike.

Sorry for the rant,
It just started to sound like some of the same old shid that turned me off about riding with the Harley crowd.  Come on now, I don't need that **** here also.
guns.gif

I still always wave to all of the bikes I pass, even the Harleys and all the others too.

They are a "little" stuck on black cloths.   LOL
beerchug.gif
Well Said...............

super.gif
PM -->
CBXRider @ Mar. 24 2008 said:
1347565[/ATTACH] PM]
lol1.gif
Yes true
blush.gif
, Probably all that dogging,passing and leaving ya behind I was doing  
rofl.gif
that and the 8+ hrs of riding out of the 9 1/2 hr day I had
thumb_up.gif

super.gif

ill ride with anyone i just thought the constipated comment was funny. one of my best friends rides a yamaha v-star 1100 and i tell him he looks that way alot! i wave at everybody even scooters and mopeds! if someone doesnt wave back i dont worry, could be a new rider or just someone having a bad day or anything. most people around here do wave back though!
beerchug.gif

race.gif

thumb_up.gif

rofl.gif

laugh.gif

rock.gif
?

Sorry for the rant,
It just started to sound like some of the same old shid that turned me off about riding with the Harley crowd.  Come on now, I don't need that **** here also.
guns.gif

They are a "little" stuck on black cloths.   LOL
beerchug.gif
Well Said...............
+1

Just like you don't understand the "harley" thing they don't understand the "busa" thing. Putting a fat boy or a new rocker next to the busa would be cool for me. By being cool out and about when I ride I try to make a positive impression which will hopefully help our sport bike image. I don't go blasting by harley's or other cruisers. You ride a busa..........what more do you really have to prove???

Back