Harley Guy thinks

HayaConn

Registered
A customer (Harley Guy) comes into my store the other day and makes a comment about the Haybusa.  Why do you drive that rice rocket, those bikes aren't safe, this guy goes on for a while. I smile and told him that although i liked my harley and his, that it wasn't my type of riding style. I prefer the performance, comfort and handling of the Busa. He continued that I'll kill myself wrap it around a tree and so on. I smiled  
smile.gif

and said to each his own (he is a customer) and walked on to my next customer. I was out riding after work tonight and I see this guy on his bike in a tee shirt sneakers and no helmet!
wow.gif
And this guy thinks I'm crazy.  
guns.gif

Over the past 10 years I have had two Fatboys and like every other Harley rider I have pumped so much of my money into the bikes and gear. After having about $30K into my last Fatboy I still felt the bike was so far from what I wanted it to be.

Anyway, last fall I got bit by the sport bike bug. I traded the Fatboy for a Buell XB12R, which I absolutely loved. But, being 6'4" and 250lbs. and the fact that my wife rides with me. the little Buell was not enough bike. I did not want to go back to the cruiser after having a taste of what the twisties are supposed to feel like, I started looking at what would be the best fit for me. Well, one month ago I took the plunge and purchased an '04 LE Hayabusa.

I could not be happier. The bike is amazing. regardless of the fact that it is the fastest bike on the road. This bike is very comfortable and ridable for myself and when my wife rides with me.

The funny thing my wife and myself have noticed is the all of the Harley snobs. Since nowadays 9 out of 10 bikes on the road seems to be a HD it is funny how none of them seem to see me on my new bike, on the Fatboy nearly everyone would wave, now I wave and don't even get an acknowledgement.

The sport bike crowd is just interested in bikes. They all gather around and check out everybodies bikes. They don't really care if is a honda, kaw, suz, yama, duc, triumph, buell, moto, bmw, aprilia, etc... Sport bikers are true bikers, they think its all cool, every bike has its own uniqueness and that is what these people have, the open mindness to be able to celebrate that fact. Isn't that part of the sales pitch of HD? That you are paying $5k over list price because you want to be unique. HD has capitalized on this image and now everyone and their brother is trying to be the "rebel" on the Hawg. Put $10K into accessories on a Harley and it still looks like a Harley. One of the best things about getting the Hayabusa is that it is not a Harley.

Now, I feel like the "rebel" that has broken out from the pack. Harley has killed the mystique that one got from riding a HD. I feel it again on my Hayabusa.

I AM UNIQUE AGAIN!!!!

God Bless

I stopped arguing with Harley guys a long time ago. I get the finger from them pretty regular too. Their biggest argument is that it's "American made". What's the % of American content on a HD? 72% I think. Hell, even if it was 100%, that doesn't make them more reliable. You can't tell me a Ford or Chevy is as reliable or put together as well as a Lexus.

Welcome Medman, I see this is your first post and what a post it is !!

I am going to send a link to this thread to every HD rider I know.

I'm all about the sport bikes. The HD can kiss my butt if they don't like the bike that I'm riding. I don't say anything about HD's, but they have lots to say about my "rice rocket"

The funny thing my wife and myself have noticed is the all of the Harley snobs. Since nowadays 9 out of 10 bikes on the road seems to be a HD it is funny how none of them seem to see me on my new bike, on the Fatboy nearly everyone would wave, now I wave and don't even get an acknowledgement.[/QUOTE]

Snobs is right. I've also noticed the Harley wanna be's on the big Jap cruiser bikes are starting to get a bug up their butts too.

Sport bikers are true bikers, they think its all cool, every bike has its own uniqueness and that is what these people have, the open mindness to be able to celebrate that fact. Isn't that part of the sales pitch of HD?[/QUOTE]

Harley is nothing more than an image or brand name these days. It's like people paying $200 for a pair of Nike Air Jordan shoes (which cost $2.00 to make)...all because of a name.

That you are paying $5k over list price because you want to be unique. HD has capitalized on this image and now everyone and their brother is trying to be the "rebel" on the Hawg. Put $10K into accessories on a Harley and it still looks like a Harley. One of the best things about getting the Hayabusa is that it is not a Harley.[/QUOTE]

It's gotta sink one of these days, the market is saturated with Harleys. 10-15 years ago you had to spend time looking for a Harley and then pay a premium for it. If you wanted a new one you were stuck on a waiting list for over a year.

Today there are hundreds in the classifieds and they don't sell. Go to any dealer and the showroom is loaded.

Harley is now the ultimate LEMMING BIKE. They are no more exciting than a beige Ford Taurus.

To top that off, Harleys are no longer "cool". It's all about the custom choppers these days!
tounge.gif

btw, welcome to the board!

I wouldn't piss on a fire to put out a Harley rider.

Let me add a reason why before I get a bunch of sh*t over my attitude. I have experienced the "no wave" thing for the last 15 years from these elitest or HA a**holes. I have also seen groups of them flip off broken down riders as they left them stranded on two occasions because they were on Japanese bikes. This sort of mentality has earned all of them my attitude.
cussing.gif

<!--EDIT|Krieg
Reason for Edit: None given...|1085718840 -->

It's interesting being relatively new to the social currents surrounding motorcycles. At first, it felt like us motorcyclists against the cagers. Then, I started to notice that the hard core HD guys wouldn't even look at me-much less actually wave. That pissed me off because it makes me want to do the same thing to the HD guys that wave at me. The only problem is that I don't like emulating pricks. So, I wave every time. Hell, I even wave to a kid on a motorized scooter I pass on the way to work every morning
smile.gif
He even has the two-finger wave down
biggrin.gif

Welcome to the board, Medman! Lots of pleasantries between cruiser and sportbike riders. They are 2 completely different styles of riding enjoyable in their own way. We are all riders, so can't we just all get along! Oops, guess someone used that before!
biggrin.gif

I wave at everyone, and if the HD rider doesn't wave I don't sweat it.. Because in the blink of an eye he's just another dot on the horizon.

For all the Hardcore HD Ryders, I have one question --- what kind of car you drive? Even HD which profiles its customers are gonna agree most of its ryders aren't blue collar, truck driving, beer guzzling bikers. Tghe Avg HD rider makes over $70k a year, is a professional or career person, and probably drives a foreign car. But hey if it makes them feel better its fine with me, because riding a busa makes me feel special!

So maybe the rider who knows they over paid for a low performance unreliable bike only has 1 thing to say ... Harley D is American!

Welcome Medman! Excellent post. Glad you are enjoying your ride adn don't waste time worrying about Harleys... put that time in on the road!
smile.gif
I go past Kearny on EVERY trip to KC! If you want anoter busa next to you, let me know. I haven't taken her to KC yet, but will be doing it at leasst twice this summer.

WWJD, thanks for the offer. I am up for a ride anytime you make it down I35. I am from IA originally and have been down in KC since 98.

Enjoy the weekend everybody.

God Bless.

Life after harley, isn't it grand? We have a new bike night in town, it's 80% hardley or clone. I went the other night just to meet a buddy of mine I had not seen in a while. Now, here's a recipe for disaster.... bike night, $1 bottle beer, big-tuff hardley riders, nary a helmet to be seen..... Already been two fatalities, both hardley riders, both from massive head trama. Glad to report, EVERY sport bike rider there had not only a helmet, but gear as well. One question, when one buys a hardley, is the dealer responsible for teaching the "hardley mean guy sneer" to all new riders or is it a result of the vibration?

I'm with Medman! I've had a few HDs. Will NEVER buy one again. I don't want to be part of that ####### "Family".
The dudes riding the expensive custom bikes are even worse.

Well, I have been on both sides of that fence, as most of you know...

My little yellow Harley is still hanging around the house, but we're going to sell it soon (I hope) and my Busa is now king of the road...my Harley riding husband keeps stealing my baby, so I think I'm going to paint it pink to keep him off of Caesar!

Seriously, I've got a lot of Harley riding friends and family, and they all give the same initial reaction, but I revel in our stops while out riding; it's when they all stand around and talk about my bike instead of the Harleys they rode in on!
laugh.gif

Oh, and welcome Medman!!!
Congrats on seeing the light!
tounge.gif
From one former Harley rider to another, that is!
laugh.gif

Post some pics of your Busa...
smile.gif

Over the past 10 years I have had two Fatboys and like every other Harley rider I have pumped so much of my money into the bikes and gear.  After having about $30K into my last Fatboy I still felt the bike was so far from what I wanted it to be.  

Anyway, last fall I got bit by the sport bike bug.  I traded the Fatboy for a Buell XB12R, which I absolutely loved.  But, being 6'4" and 250lbs. and the fact that my wife rides with me. the little Buell was not enough bike.  I did not want to go back to the cruiser after having a taste of what the twisties are supposed to feel like, I started looking at what would be the best fit for me.  Well, one month ago I took the plunge and purchased an '04 LE Hayabusa.  

I could not be happier.  The bike is amazing.  regardless of the fact that it is the fastest bike on the road.  This bike is very comfortable and ridable for myself and when my wife rides with me.  

The funny thing my wife and myself have noticed is the all of the Harley snobs.  Since nowadays 9 out of 10 bikes on the road seems to be a HD it is funny how none of them seem to see me on my new bike, on the Fatboy nearly everyone would wave, now I wave and don't even get an acknowledgement.  

The sport bike crowd is just interested in bikes.  They all gather around and check out everybodies bikes.  They don't really care if is a honda, kaw, suz, yama, duc, triumph, buell, moto, bmw, aprilia, etc...  Sport bikers are true bikers, they think its all cool, every bike has its own uniqueness and that is what these people have, the open mindness to be able to celebrate that fact.  Isn't that part of the sales pitch of HD?  That you are paying $5k over list price because you want to be unique.  HD has capitalized on this image and now everyone and their brother is trying to be the "rebel" on the Hawg.  Put $10K into accessories on a Harley and it still looks like a Harley.  One of the best things about getting the Hayabusa is that it is not a Harley.  

Now, I feel like the "rebel" that has broken out from the pack.  Harley has killed the mystique that one got from riding a HD.  I feel it again on my Hayabusa.

I AM UNIQUE AGAIN!!!!

God Bless
Congrats to you as well on your transition. Guess you see now what we always see....the Harley guy/gal ignore. It used to really pizz me off but now when I see a Harley coming my left hand in on my thigh, harley rider doesn't wave first....i don't wave. Sad it's come to that but I'm tired of wasting perfectly good waves like I'm in a friggin parade. Well guess when on a Busa we're always in a parade. Welcome again and lets get some pics of your baby.

Back