Harley Guy thinks

Welp, I believe I have a unique perspective on this, so I'll share:

First, I am as die-hard buy American as it comes. I work in the American automobile industry, and have as an engineer, R&D engineer and now engineering director. I used to do product quality benchmarking for a living.

If given half a chance, I'll buy the American product first, every time. To wit: I own FIVE GM products, and swear by Chevrolet. Dollar for dollar, they're the best cars and trucks on the market. In two particular areas, GM rules the roost - performance cars (relative to modifications and horsepower per dollar) and trucks, the Japanese have to yet to make a full size truck (including the Titan) that is little more than a bad joke.

So... why the Busa? Simple... there are no American crotch rockets worthy of mentioning in a speed contest. The Buells are nifty, love the technology (apart from the motor), but they're SLOOOOW.

So, buying the Busa was no problem at all - there is no equivalent American product. If I wanted a cruiser, I'd buy a Harley, but I don't want a cruiser. Wifey does, so she's getting a Sportster 1200 in the next year.

The amazing thing is how much antimosity is shown here vs. Harley in the middle of a post complaining about how bad the Harley riders are.

Are you or I any better than them if we start spouting on about the sterotypes that Harley riders have? Are they all fat, beer-guzzling, no helmet wearing pigs or +$70,000/yr accountants trying to look tough???

NO. Just like we all aren't squids with a death wish who want to send our cash overseas to wreck the US economy.

To the poster with the Ford or Chevy vs. Lexus comment:
How about we compare cars at equivalent price points? That would then be CADILLAC vs. Lexus. Cadillac and Lexus are currently neck-and-neck in the latest JD Powers surveys for quality. Cadillac has managed to blow away everyone else (BMW, Mercedes, Infiniti, Jaguar, et al.) and has their sights squarely set on Lexus - with a good chance of PASSING them next year.

In the end, I wave at everybody. If they don't wave back, no biggy.

Are you or I any better than them if we start spouting on about the sterotypes that Harley riders have? Are they all fat, beer-guzzling, no helmet wearing pigs or +$70,000/yr accountants trying to look tough???
Good point and I'm sure their are many sportbike riders that help fuel our stereotypes.  The problem is that from my experience (as I can only speak from that), 50% of harley riders act like they don't friggin see you.  They (the 50%) are bringing all the heat on the harley owners.  Go to harley week in Myrtle Beach and I guarantee 75% of the HD riders will look directly at you and won't lift a finger.  Yeah some of them are getting a bad wrap and some of them just need to get WRAPPED!!!  I hate when anyone looks down on someone because of size, skin color, hair texture or whether they ride a friggin seadoo or a seadon't, a scooter or a scud missle (Busa) on 2 wheels.  The backlash on HD riders is caused by the arrogance displayed by MANY HD riders.  My .02

BD

<!--EDIT|BigDawg_03Busa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1085762794 -->

So... why the Busa? Simple... there are no American crotch rockets worthy of mentioning in a speed contest. The Buells are nifty, love the technology (apart from the motor), but they're SLOOOOW.

The amazing thing is how much antimosity is shown here vs. Harley in the middle of a post complaining about how bad the Harley riders are.
Some valid points Pacer, but you have to take some of what is said here very tongue-in-cheek...

We have several Harley riders/owners on here...we give them a hard time when we can (flrider and his retired butt for instance...you know I luv ya!)...

I'm one of those dual owners myself, but I'm not riding the Harley anymore, just trying to sell it...

If anything, the group on THIS board is very open to ALL riders...those of us that have switched (like me) noticed almost immediately that there's a very distinct line between the Harleys passing me and the other sport bikers...I do what I can to wave to them all, and they pretend they didn't see me...
tounge.gif

There is an underlying problem many have with Harley Davidson, especially those that ride sport bikes...Revlis will tell ya (he'll be along shortly) that he'd love to see an American made sport bike that's comparable to the Busa, but it's not happening, as you pointed out...as for the other Harleys on the road?  Well, I myself see H-D as the biggest marketing gimmick in history...I bought in to it, so I'm not just pointing a finger here...you buy a Harley, you have to change your entire lifestyle and wardrobe to match...not saying every guy/gal falls in to that trap, but generally speaking, H-D marketing geniuses have cornered a market based solely on a name, and not so much on the product itself...

Harley may produce some fine machinery if you want a cruiser, I won't argue that, but at what price?  Is it really worth "buying American" if you have to get a second mortgage on your home and sell a child to keep up with the image...it's a valid argument, and one that I don't mind stepping in to because I was walking down the "it's got to be Harley" path and I'm married to a die hard Harley fan...

Keep in mind that none of us on here are necessarily looking to bash Harley riders in general, but we do wonder what the draw might be...I'm still trying to figure that one out...

<!--EDIT|VaBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1085763216 -->

To add to that I've met some HD riders that are very inquisitive about my Busa and throw their hands up almost before I even see them. So, again I emphasize many, not all HD owners are self absorbed pricks!
tounge.gif

To add to that I've met some HD riders that are very inquisitive about my Busa and throw their hands up almost before I even see them.  So, again I emphasize many, not all HD owners are self absorbed pricks!
tounge.gif
Hey BD...I married that guy!  He won't leave my bike alone, even brags about it to friends when they ask questions...keeps stealing it when I'm not looking...
laugh.gif

He's a Busawannabe in disguise!  
tounge.gif

<!--EDIT|VaBusa
Reason for Edit: "dummy"|1085763300 -->

tounge.gif

Over the past 10 years I have had two Fatboys [/QUOTE]

Ive never had a fatboy, but a fat girl now and then. That sounds more like a michael jackson problem with the fatboys.

damn did i just admit to fat girls.. OMG I did.. im so ashamed.. LOLOL

Wave to them all! That's my motto also! The bikers with attitudes had the attitude BEFORE they bought the bike, and guaranteed, they will carry the stupid attitude to the grave with them!

Waving to any other bike rider just makes a positive statement about the kind of person YOU are, regardless of the return wave!!!

We are all on two wheels, regardless of make or model, and we all face the same hardships as every other biker.

Humans being human, you get all kinds...some good, some bad, most pretty decent.

'Course, I scratch my head and laugh at some of the boneheaded ones...

biggrin.gif

RC51Guy

I kind of like irritating them Harley guys by WAVING at em.  I give them the two fingers...  If I get nothing back ah well...  Not problem.. You figure some many of them are putting the first miles on their "HOG" since the last months weekend ride and they are busy trying to hold on.

Someone up above said the "Hardcore" Harley riders never wave...  I disagree, it's the weekend Image Bikers that wont wave...  The real bikers know it's all about being out on two wheels and freedom.  

Myself, I'll still buy a Harley as soon as they build me one that does what it should and lives up to what an American Sport bike should be.  Not some "Cute/Interesting" little bike with an antique motor.  But a true world dominating V-4 (or something) HyperSport badass bike from hell.  Painted Black...  A serious Bike built by Americans...

Are US engineers so outclassed by the Japanese that they gave up?  YUP!!!  They Sure as hell did!  Look at HD's attempt at AMA Racing...  They just plain quit...VR1000 in the trash... Combine that with a complete lack of pride in workmanship and Union sponsored laziness and look at what we get.  Machines outclassed by foreign makers at every turn...  Only recently have we seen some changes...  Some Innovation, some fresh thinking and chance taking...  DAMNIT, GM WENT TO AUSTRALIA FOR THE GTO!!!  WTF?  Well yeah, Look at the Malibu's and the Monte Crapo, I mean Monte Carlo...  Grrrr....  An American Legend re-born?  Bullshit!  An Australian Sedan rebadged...  What a joke... The Holden is a sweet car, don't get me wrong, it has a proper engine and drive line at least, but damn. So much for made in America... We'll have to call it the GTO "Mate"... I am hoping that the American Industry both Motorcycle and Automotive does continue working hard... We need it thats for damn sure...  

Caddy is coming along nicely, now just set the guy on fire that designed the Aztec and we'll all be better off...  Yeah, he got lucky with the Vette, but for the love of god, stop messing up the trucks...   Keep him AWAY FROM THE TRUCKS....  
cool.gif

Wait... What were we talking about again?

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1085766220 -->

Actually, the modern sport bikes are probably some of the safest bikes on the road as far as handling and braking are concerned
wink.gif

now just set the guy on fire that designed the Aztec and we'll all be better off... [/QUOTE]

I agree with you totally on that one Revlis. Who at GM looked at that design and said....yep, that's exactly what we were looking for
biggrin.gif

"A true biker sees beauty in every 2 wheeled machine."

A little Zen but who cares!

As for waves, I almost fell off when a cop going the other way on a police BMW gave me the nod the other day (I'm used to more predatory types giving me the evil eye and waiting for me to make a mistake.)!!!! Up in the Northern Territory there a bit more realxed.  
biggrin.gif

Welcome to the obsession medman  
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|Rosco
Reason for Edit: None given...|1085800735 -->

Ive had a few chp or local motor cops wave when i wave. then there are others that will start to wave then pull their hand back when they realize its not a fellow motor cop.. saw that happen a few times while riding with some bmw bikes.

Hey, I figured out the bad guy harley sneer deal, little piece of plastic you fit in your upper lip. Kind of uncomfortable but really gives that "bad ass lip curl" look. I tried it, can't fit my helmet over my sneer. Oh, well.....(on sale at your local Hardley shop, check it out)
tounge.gif

I have had lots of good conversations with hardley guys, & I agree that not all of em are losers. I find that the Hardley guys have a shitload of questions about my bike, rather than the other way around, I think there just inquisitive about a style of bike that is so opposite to the ones they are riding

Back