Gun license

PBiddy412

Registered
Just turned 21, and was wondering how you go about obtaining a gun license. I looked on PA's site and on the net but all I see is for permits.

Thanks all. I didn't know where to start, don't have a clue as I never really been around people with guns. Thats pretty bad including I am in the criminal justice field! Just never was really told about obtaining a gun.

Owning or using a gun doesn't usually require a license. The only permit you might need would be a concealed carry permit if you plan to carry one all the time.

Go to your local reputable gun store and ask them what's required to buy a gun.

Also, if you haven't already done it, take a couple of safety classes.

Then practice. A lot!
biggrin.gif

--Wag--

if your looking for a concealed permit need to go to the sheriffs dept they have all the forms and they take the pictures right there now. here in northampton county the sheriffs dept is at the county courthouse

Just turned 21, and was wondering how you go about obtaining a gun license. I looked on PA's site and on the net but all I see is for permits.
Duh! If you have to ask that do you really need one? Seems you need a little more common sense. Guns don't kill people just the idiot pulling the trigger.
Was this really neccessary? Instead of going to the gun store, I figured I would ask here. Its not always common sense. Just wanted to make sure. Gas isn't cheap these days to drive around all over the place just to get a gun permit or figure out where to get it. I just came here because people are very knowledgable and the info provided here is usually very good. Now calling me an idiot in a non direct way wasn't to nice.

Duh! If you have to ask that do you really need one? Seems you need a little more common sense. Guns don't kill people just the idiot pulling the trigger.
Seems like a legitimate question... No need to be an A$$hat to the guy for asking. Unless you were joking?

Here in CT you have to get your local town permit then apply for a state permit. Weather or not your going to carry conceald you still need a permit to purchase a handgun. Years ago you could apply to buy one and wait 2 weeks for a background check then get your gun but not anymore. I've had my permit for 13 years.

Was this really neccessary? Instead of going to the gun store, I figured I would ask here. Its not always common sense. Just wanted to make sure. Gas isn't cheap these days to drive around all over the place just to get a gun permit or figure out where to get it. I just came here because people are very knowledgable and the info provided here is usually very good. Now calling me an idiot in a non direct way wasn't to nice.
nobody really called you an idiot....unless you have already killed someone.
at worst...you admitted to being "clueless" and "in the criminal justice field"....that combo seems common
wink.gif

it seems odd that you wouldn't have asked at work/school...or just made a simple phone call to a local gun shop or police/sheriff station instead of "driving all over the place cause gas isn't cheap".

In FL..the cost was about 150.00 for a concealed carry permit. If you are worried about a little gas money....then you'll prolly not even like spending money on ammo...
It can also take up to 90 days (in FL) for the background check...so be prepared for that.

I don't think anyone is intentionally insulting you...but owning a weapon is a right....carrying in public is a privilege to be taken seriously (which we assume you realize) so be sure to choose your words carefully...the same way you should take time to assess if a situation warrants drawing a weapon on someone.

We're always here to help/guide the average Joe...
Some of us just come off more "to the point" than others.

beerchug.gif

Come to Vermont.
You can buy guns every weekend at the flea market.
No permits needed to carry a concealed weapon.
Just can't be a convicted felon

nobody really called you an idiot....unless you have already killed someone.
at worst...you admitted to being "clueless" and "in the criminal justice field"....that combo seems common[/QUOTE]

I could of killed someone!
tounge.gif

And that combo is common, its quite bad to be honest. You'd think I was dumb at times, crap, others are worse. lol

On a more serious note.

I didn't ask at work or school because school is currently out so I haven't talked to anyone for awhile. I'm pretty much non social at work. I talk to you guys on here a more then people at work and I rarely put msgs on here. I do realize owning a gun is a right. I use to go with my grandfather on a farm to shoot a gun when I was younger so I have used them. He never discussed anything about obtaining one and I do not know of any local gun shops(Pap isn't around for information anymore). I do know about when to draw a gun. I'm sure if I opened the phone book I could find some, but I just came here first because for previous reasons stated before.

I also did learn when to draw a weapon. I did learn something from criminal justice. I may not be as stupid as I appear right now lol

<!--EDIT|PBiddy412
Reason for Edit: None given...|1151416767 -->

Here in Louisiana we tend to shoot first, then ask questions. Granted they are less likely to respond that way but if we wanted to talk to them in the first place we would not have shot them, right...
Sorry, can't help myself.
Gun store, gun show, find someone you trust to show you the ins and outs of a firearm. You must find something comfortable for you. Then you must shoot it on a regular basis to become familiar with the loud noises it makes when fired. The last thing you want is to need it and then be scared to use it. That is how people get killed with their own gun by the way.
It's repetition that becomes habit. If the time comes, and I hope to God it doesn't, at the moment you make the descision the remainder will be a matter of placement. BTW never pull out unless you plan on using it, just like with other things. Happy shooting....  
biggrin.gif

Thanks LaBusa. I do have a friend around 31 I use to work with that I'm sort of in touch with but has a few guns. I think I will go to him to find something comfortable. I do know how to use a gun. That I can promise!

I second LABusa, never EVER pull it out unless you intend to use it.  There are a lot of dummies out there that think it's "cool" to show off and flash the pistol.  This will get you shot, at best.  Check your local gun laws, many states are different.

Hopefully that link will help you, permits are usually easy to get as long as you have a clean record and fulfull any requirements (Such as a gun safety class or whatever)
Hope this helps!

Oh yeah, both HK's and Glock's are great pistols....

-Nick

Back