Motorcycle License

How do you have insurance with only a permit?
Hey GM hope everything is well in VA. As for that question.
You can in NY get motorcycle insurance with just a car drivers license.
I did many years ago and I know guys who don't even have bike permits that have motorcycle insurance in their name.

Almost forgot. I have my license for about 12 years now. After many years of riding without one.

I rode from age 18 until last year without a motorcycle license. I've only ever been pulled over once on a motorcycle and it was my father's at the time - so it had insurance. I finally took the course last year and got my license - smartest move I've made in a while. I always recommend the MSF course and it helped my riding even after 10 years in the saddle.

Got mine maybe 1-2 months ago after I took the MSF course. All I had to do was pass the class, then take the slip to the DMV and have them snap my pic. Really easy

Got my License BEFORE I  
goodboy.gif
could drive a car and that was a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time ago  
winkold.gif
! Yep
hello.gif
, about 46 years ago
laugh.gif

Well shoot. I got my license endorsment b4 i had a motorcycle helmet. I didnt know i could ride a permit for 8 years.

I've had my license officially since 1980, rode a few weeks with a permit then took the test. Funny thing back then someone had to come down to the DPS office with you with a cycle license (so your permit would be valid and a car or truck for the DPS officer to ride in and watch you run their course. But the car or truck better pass a vehicle inspection or they get a ticket on the spot and no test for you that day because they will not ride in a vehicle that's "not perfect".

I started riding when I was 16, rode for two years without license or permit as the state required the safety course for those under 18 to be licensed. I tried to get the course for two years but there was such a lack of interest then for it that every class I enrolled in did not make due to not enough enrolled. I took my test 18 years ago on a GS1100 and passed first time through with no problem.

Took my writen test on a monday morning 8:15 am 9;30 road test 11:00 am writen for MC endorsment, 2:pm showed back up at the road test area with my brand new shiny red Honda 90 2:45 went back in DMV office walked out at 3:30 with MV/MC licence........39 years ago.....and there was no computors then, try and get that done that fast today
jump9.gif

Had my Motorcycle licence for 4 years now about 1 months afterwards had my first bike

Been riding on a permit since I got the bike back in sep. so mine's still valid. I'll probably take the msf intermediate course and get my license that way. Don't feel like renewing it every year. As for the insurance thing, no, you don't have to have a licnese to get insurance. . . Obviously. I have insurance and I don't have a license.

Back