open carry questioned here

chrisjp

GM of Haya's in the Hills
Donating Member
Registered
yesterday there was a man who was openly carrying here in Erie Pa. he does so every day as he goes about his business downtown. normally officers see him carrying and don't question. yesterday an officer approached him (after being passed by other officers who noticed he was open carrying) and this specific officer stops him and demands his id and confiscates his gun (to wich the man does not resist and offers up his id with no issues even though you are NOT required to show id unless accused of a crime but the man did choose to go non aggressive). the officer told him he was taking his gun and reporting him to the sheriff (they are the agency here in pa that authorizes CCW or LTCF permits as they are defined her in PA) and recommending the sheriff remove his LTCF permit. another officer on foot comes up and through the discussions the man does have his weapon returned to him but was warned by that specific officer that first approached him that if he saw him openly carrying again he would follow through with his threats. now reports were made to local news agency's that of course reported that you have to have a license to openly carry in the state of PA...wrong!! and they interviewed the man and the local firearms owners group forum is going to do a "open carry day" to help show and educate both the civilians and give example of our legal rights in this state. also the officer has been directed to receive additional training in the actual law he is supposed to be upholding and enforcing. ill also post a link to a pdf file that shows the actuall statutes and also a quick and dirty breakdown of gun carry laws in PA for anyone wishing to confirm or educate themselves of the right we have here in PA to openly carry.

http://paopencarry.org/pdfs/Pennsylvania_Gun_Rights.pdf

I watch those youtube videos all the time where officers try to ID people for open carry or take their guns. It is usually pretty funny and the cops have no idea what to do about it.:rofl:

I still wouldn't do it if it was ok here.
Too many potential problems and would make me too nervous.

Seems like the first cop needs to refresh himself on the laws.

are you ready for this bull!! did you know that according to this PA statute you are NOT ALLOWED to open carry UNLESS you are LTCF when the governor declares a "sate of emergency" (last one was for a 1 day snow storm) and they last for 90 days unless extended. so they can infrindge on your right to carry a fire arm IF they have declared an emergency for WHATEVER REASON!!

Here is the relevant laws as pertaining to firearms during a declared state of emergency in Pa.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6107: Prohibited conduct during emergency
(a) General rule.--No person shall carry a firearm upon the public streets or upon any public property during an emergency proclaimed by a State or municipal governmental executive unless that person is:
(1) Actively engaged in a defense of that person's life or property from peril or threat.
(2) Licensed to carry firearms under section 6109 (relating to licenses) or is exempt from licensing under section 6106(b) (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license).
(b) Seizure, taking and confiscation.--Except as otherwise provided under subsection (a) and notwithstanding the provisions of 35 Pa.C.S. Ch. 73 (relating to Commonwealth services) or any other provision of law to the contrary, no firearm, accessory or ammunition may be seized, taken or confiscated during an emergency unless the seizure, taking or confiscation would be authorized absent the emergency.
(c) Definitions.--As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:
"Accessory." Any scope, sight, bipod, sling, light, magazine, clip or other related item that is attached to or necessary for the operation of a firearm.
"Firearm." The term includes any weapon that is designed to or may readily be converted to expel any projectile by the action of an explosive or the frame or receiver of any weapon.

Funny, exact opposite here in Fla, can CC but not open carry unless there is an emergency, just look at every hurricane on the news you will see it. I never feel the need to but I do where my CC every now and then.

imo generally its a poor idea to carry openly even if ur state allows it. too many issues associated with people who become alarmed when they see someone walk into a bank, convience store, restraunt, gas station etc.... with a gun hanging off their hip like its the wild west.

how many people actually have their gun properly secured on the waist with a level II or III restraint system? not many ill bet.

not to mention if a criminal is going to rob a bank or gas station and sees someone with a gun exposed hes gonna shoot him first then rob the joint. the last thing I want a would-be criminal to know is that im armed and will defend myself or a third party if need be. its a poor idea period. really doesnt matter if its legal or not. a lot of things in this country are legal but not necessarily a good idea.

gun owners get all righteous over issues like this and common sense tends to get in the way sometimes.

GNBRETT said:
imo generally its a poor idea to carry openly even if ur state allows it. too many issues associated with people who become alarmed when they see someone walk into a bank, convience store, restraunt, gas station etc.... with a gun hanging off their hip like its the wild west.

how many people actually have their gun properly secured on the waist with a level II or III restraint system? not many ill bet.

not to mention if a criminal is going to rob a bank or gas station and sees someone with a gun exposed hes gonna shoot him first then rob the joint. the last thing I want a would-be criminal to know is that im armed and will defend myself or a third party if need be. its a poor idea period. really doesnt matter if its legal or not. a lot of things in this country are legal but not necessarily a good idea.

gun owners get all righteous over issues like this and common sense tends to get in the way sometimes.

I agree with your thoughts here; I wish open carry was the law everywhere; then maybe the stigma that you are describing wouldn't exist. Until then, it is concealed carry...

x1000000

Im going to go out on a limb here and say you have never been to the great wild west state of arizona. People wear guns like clothing accessories down here. Granted I conceal and carry but I found myself staring into the gun case the other day asking myself.....

The 9mm with the black adidas?
The 1911 with the white adidas?
Or the .357 with the work boots?

On a serious note people open carry all the time here. When I first moved down here I would get a little edgy and keep my eye on the people doing it but it has become so normal that I notice the gun, notice the person wearing it, and I go about my business. Most people i have found that choose open carry do so because its more comfortable for them. Myself, mines tucked under a shirt at all times

its amazing what a hundred years can do with a healthy dose of brainwashing. sure back then it was a effective tool but still a means for self defense. ask yourself...is it the gun your afraid of...or the person carrying it? then ask yourself ....why? you will find the answers in the voices in the back of your head echoing media or government rhetoric. not that you personally have ever experienced anyone wearing a gun in a holster on their hip suddenly acting irrationally.

Personally I think open carry is a good thing and people should do it more often. Exercise all your rights all the time or you might not notice or care if they quietly go away.

Agreed. Especially with the last line. I appreciate that Tennesseans are allowed to open carry, but generally recommend against it for what should be common sense reasons.

We have our rights but no reason to open carry. It just looks for problems and makes other feel uncomfortable.
I never understood people that open carry, is it a feeling ohhh look at me you better respect me cause I have a gun, if so you dont need to be carrying a gun in open public.

One reason to carry a gun, and that should be your last resort to use deadly force to save yourself or others in bodily harm or death.

Personally, I've never fully understood this "right" to bear arms, and being a foreigner to the US of A....like many others, I don't think I ever truly will!?! ???
But I honestly don't think a system like that would work where I am.....WAY too many emotionally and mentally disturbed nutters 'round here!!! :banghead:

I was down at Shoneys for lunch the other day, concealed as usual.

A couple came into the resturaunt, sat down to eat. The man was open carry. Nobody said anything, but you could feel the tension with the wait staff and the other customers. I'm thinking, "I know who the robber is going to shoot first". He had no legitimate reason other than "hey, look at me".

Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD. In the end, in the OP the man did the right thing, he did not make a scene, kept his cool and self-control, and let it play out. Even though I don't agree with open-carry in urban environments (but maybe I would in TX/AZ), I do think he handled it properly.

I'm not crazy about open carry but I do respect the choice of concealed or open carry. Unfortunately, it does allow people to focus on the individual carrying, regardless of the intent of observation. My state has open carry but I can honestly say I don't see it often. Not that it isn't prevalent, I just don't see it. I prefer to remain "anonymous" in regards to whether I'm carrying or not. I always envision standing in the checkout at Wal-Mart, with some of the Wal-Mart folks I've seen on-line.....I think I would be a little tense :laugh:!! That's my choice though.

For the law in PA halting open-carry during a declared emergency, I would just get a concealed permit and it seems you're good. (#2)

Open carry cause more issues than it is worth, IMO.

The biggest single objection I have to it is the same others have already mentioned in this thread: if you open carry, you lose the stealthy advantage you have when you conceal carry.

One should never allow potential enemies to gain any useful intel on one's weapons/capabilities.

Back