Got my busa

Blaze

Registered
I picked up my 04 blue/silver yesterday. I took a big chance buying this bike since I have only seen one in person and have never ridden one. I basically made my decision based on first impressions and reading this forum (which is great) for 2 months. I have been riding a Yamaha 05 FJR1300 ABS that has 126 rwh and 90 ft lbs of torque.

Although I obviously have not had it long, here are my first impressions:

Style          Beautiful and one of a kind. It looks good with and without the hump.

Quality        Top notch fit and finish.

Comfort      I’m 6’4†and 210 and think it is as/more comfortable than my FJR thus far. The seat is better and even though the riding position is more aggressive my body feels                    better overall.

Feel           Very balanced and does not feel as heavy as it is.

Ride           Smooth as my FJR.

Power         I was only able to get 10.25 in the ¼ and have only had it up to 165 thus far, but it was still pulling like a tractor.******   My FJR is no slow poke, but this beast is                       certainly in a whole different class.

People’s reaction      You don’t make a subtle arrival. People definitely check you out.

Overall        Love this bike. Love this bike. Love this bike.

****** Total BS        I am still in the break in period. There will be a lot of foreplay before I move on.

Glad you like it. Now go ride the wheels off the thing.
biggrin.gif

Glad you're enjoying it. You should come up to Rockingham on the 12th-14th for some dragracing. Even if you come up to checkout the bikes....you won't be disappointed.

You had me goin' there for a second ('til the last line)!

Glad to hear you're lovin' it. BTW - it only gets better!

I like hearing first-hand comparisons too. I've always wondered how the FJR measured up.

I still have my 89 FJ1200 and seriously considered getting an FJR to replace it. Now I have a busa and the FJ! I still love riding the FJ, but the busa is just so much more. I think I made the right choise!!
cool.gif

Its not gonna have its full power till 7-800 miles into break in....so if you like it now its gonna get alot better soon....lol. enjoy
wink.gif
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

Everything u said ... me too, even the part about never riding one before and i bought sight unseen over the net. Lucked out though no probs... only diff is I did it over 3 years ago. Welcome to the club.
biggrin.gif

Congrats on the 04. The more you ride it, the faster it gets. Love that feelin'
biggrin.gif

I just bought the same blue and Silver 2004 a month ago and my first impression was .....DAMNN !!! I went to the dealer looking for th ZX12 but after I saw the Busa I went home did a few hours of research over the internet and that afternoon went back and bought the Busa and have never regretted it for on second.
The bike is just Awesome . Nothing comes close in terms of raw
acceleration and torque. I'm hooked for Life.

Man, this Board is killin me! I've been thinking and waffling for some time now and I found a beautiful new 03 anniversary? model for a great price but...would I ever ride my Xs again? I doubt I'd ever get rid of the 79 but I love LD riding and have taken the 79 from CA to Glacier and back and loved it. Ride it all over the northwest with a bag or two netted on behind me. With the 82 I have a couple small hardbags and with a small tailbag I'm set but...I REALLY want a Busa and that purdy orange one keeps talking to me. Would I regret riding it for 8-10 days at a time? Do Heli-Bars and a riser really work? I would prefer them to stock bars for looong rides right? Decisions decisions!!!

Man, this Board is killin me!  I've been thinking and waffling for some time now and I found a beautiful new 03 anniversary? model for a great price but...would I ever ride my Xs again?  I doubt I'd ever get rid of the 79 but I love LD riding and have taken the 79 from CA to Glacier and back and loved it.  Ride it all over the northwest with a bag or two netted on behind me.  With the 82 I have a couple small hardbags and with a small tailbag I'm set but...I REALLY want a Busa and that purdy orange one keeps talking to me.  Would I regret riding it for 8-10 days at a time?  Do Heli-Bars and a riser really work?  I would prefer them to stock bars for looong rides right?  Decisions decisions!!!
I'm sure you'd enjoy it quite nicely! Probably a couple mods besides the heli-bars and Genmar risers that you'd want to do though.

Personally, break it in like the manual sez, then ride it like you stole it. My baby will be 3 on Halloween, with 56k miles on her. You've got a long way to feel happy.

Currently I ride a 2003 V-Strom, but have been following this list for about a year. I have put about 39,000 km on the Strom. Each year I do a long distance trip, usually out to British Columbia from Ontario.

The problem with the Strom is that it is too tall for my 5'8" frame, and too top heavy. What is nice about the strom is that the riding position is about dead perfect for me, very upright, legs slightly back, hence weight on the thighs, no wrist pressure.

I have looked at the FJR 1300, and that is why I was interested in this thread, as Blaze has both bikes. I like the FJR, but it is a five speed, the bags don't have the capacity of my Givi bags, and it is really expensive (at least in Canada).

When I look at all the bikes, the Busa appeals to me because it has a six speed transmission, it is fuel injected, the seat is about 31" high, and has a 1300 cc engine, with more than enough power. Need I also say it is drop dead beautiful.

I have posted before on the question of touring. I know I can get hard bag mounts from Motech, a double bubble touring screen, and any one of a variety of risers or handle bar conversion kits. The question, remains though, can the Busa be made into a comfortable long distance tourer.

I am too old to worry about 1/4 mile times, beating out cagers or or other sport bikes at stop lights, or top end roll ons. What I want is a comfortable bike that handles well and chews up the miles. Can the Busa be made to do this. Opinions, experience or comments.

I have posted before on the question of touring.  I know I can get hard bag mounts from Motech, a double bubble touring screen, and any one of a variety of risers or handle bar conversion kits.  The question, remains though, can the Busa be made into a comfortable long distance tourer.

I am too old to worry about 1/4 mile times, beating out cagers or or other sport bikes at stop lights, or top end roll ons.  What I want is a comfortable bike that handles well and chews up the miles.  Can the Busa be made to do this.  Opinions, experience or comments.
You can make the Busa a lot more comfortable with simple risers (Helibars and/or Genmars), but it will never be anywhere close to the VStrom riding position. I know, 'cause my last bike was an '03 Strom.

Having said that, I really love the Busa for the handling, good looks, and power, power, power!
biggrin.gif
Also, many people have no problems with comfort on long trips - it's very subjective.

I'm still setting mine up for more comfort. Next up will be a new seat (probably a Tobin since they have great reviews and it lowers you an inch or two further).

FT

Back