My Busa LE vs My '05 Gixxer 1K Dedisions....

sietek

Registered
Part 1 of my Story

Part 2 of my story

First impressions Part 1

Alright – Here are my initial impressions of how the two bikes stack up against each other….. (Now remember, I have only really ridden the Busa for about 350 miles, so I have yet to really get into the power, considering I can’t really break the 5K barrier on the tach.  

BTW, when I picked her up, the odometer actually said “0†miles….. That is Z-E-R-O miles.  How sweet is that?!?  No test rides were done on my baby!

Let me start by saying that the Hayabusa NEEDS BETTER BRAKES!!!! That being said lets begin…

After being on an ’05 Gixxer 1K, and then getting on a Busa, the first thing that you notice is the weight and size of the Busa.  To sum it up in a word, that word would be “HEFTâ€.  But like 1badasbusa said, that feeling goes away pretty quick.  The Gixxer feels like it is barely there, like you are on Lance Armstrong’s race bike (with a Acme rocket strapped to the back of it).  
wow.gif

Compared to the Busa, which feels more like… well….. a Busa.  The only annoying part is that I just had to keep running her through the gears, through out my ride.  Up and down…..4…5…6…….6…5…4.  I hate breaking in bikes.
cussing.gif

With the Busa, the power was there though. Although I believe my Gixxer may be faster, the Busa does seem to pull harder (up to 5K anyway).  Even with the extra mass, you can really feel the power on the Busa.  And it is a much smoother ride too.  My Gixxer is raw power incarnate, just waiting for you to unleash it, while the Busa is more refined in her power delivery.  The power just seemed to keep on building and building (until about 5K, then I had to shift).  The Busa is a much roomier bike, (as if that is a surprise), although the riding position of the Busa is a lot more aggressive than I thought it would be. This is a good thing.
beerchug.gif

After about 120 miles of getting to know her (and scrubbing in the tires), I started to play with her, just a bit.  It does take a lot more effort to change direction on the Busa, but after a few more miles, it became pretty automatic.  I was actually able to hit some of my favorite turns, almost as fast on the big girl, and when you tuck into that bubble, you really become one with the bike.  On some hard accelerations, I felt zero wind resistance. A+ for aerodynamics.  
thumbs-up.gif

And now for the breaks.  For a bike this size, Suzuki really needed to invest in factory braded break lines, or larger rotors (like the extra weight was ever an issue with this bike) or something…... Anything….. for heavens sake.  Now, I know that I am used to being able to push the front tire on my other bikes to the edge of traction, and just hold it there.  But you just can’t do that with this bike. Any assistance with improving the breaking performance would be greatly appreciated. (New SS Break lines and pads will be ordered).

My only other real gripe (besides the breaks) is the slow speed maneuvers.  I will never give my wife crap ever again, about having difficultly backing her R1 out of a parking spot.  Man that almost killed me in this thing.  

I will review more, once I get her past the 600 mile mark.

<!--EDIT|sietek
Reason for Edit: None given...|1128561626 -->

Good review and pretty much in line with what everyone else has said. Throw a set of Galfer SS or HEL lines and a set of EBC HH pads on her and she'll brake much better.

Like BS said, EBC HH pads and Galfer SS brake lines. These made a world of difference in my Busa's ability to brake.

<!--EDIT|GMbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1128553793 -->

Definetly change the lines. That was a huge improvement over stock. I rode with just lines for over a year thinking it couldnt brake any stronger without going to a whole new aftermarket brake set up. Then today I finally got around to installing the EBC HH pads. Model number FA188HH. HOLY MOTHER OF PEARL. My busa can finally stop without applying a lot of pressure to the lever. What a drastic improvement it made. Just pissed riding over a year with the shitty stock pads. I m a believer of the HH pads, wish I'd switched over sooner. Great report by the way.

I like my HH pads. Once they're seated they are great. Alittle noisy, they'll talk to ya.

+1

On the EBC HH pads and Galfer lines. I hear the Galfer rotors are pretty good too.

BTW: Your wife's R1 is pretty sweet!!

<!--EDIT|gtrpimp76
Reason for Edit: None given...|1128557574 -->

Crack that thing open and see what she really has.You won't hurt it.  Shifting at 5k it's just thinkin about stretchin. My first thought was that the BUSA rides very smooth. Like a cadi. The power just keeps comin. Whats nice is that you can cruise and stay sane and just enjoy the ride and then when you get a hair up you ass...grab a hand full and  get the heart pumpin. It's great... when you think you are used to the BUSA grab another gear and it takes you to warp speed.When you get used to that speed theres another one waitin. All that power and speed and I think it handle just fine plus you can cruise all day on it being comfy.Just my 2 CENTS. Good review keep it coming. Open that baby up. Rubber side down. Be safe.  O ..... all three look great. congrats.

<!--EDIT|1badasbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1128564037 -->

Dude, you and I are in the same boat,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, well,,,,,,except for that pretty little wife of yours
tounge.gif

I have that exact same busa and just picked up a new gixxer 1K. I tucked the front on my K5 a couple weeks ago and just picked up a K6. Actually, it hasn't been started yet. I never let the dealer start a new bike for me. I haul it home and after a few midifications she gets the HARD breakin and 75 miles later she is ready for the track or just plain old fashion fun. I hope to get my K6 out on the road for the breakin within the next few days?

As far as a comparison between the two bikes, I've had both for a number of years and what I have found, once you get onto a gixxer 1K, your busa will collect dust in the corner except for long trips. If you are looking for the fun factor, IMO the busa doesn't even come close. I like my busa but I dearly love my gixxer 1K.

Back