Got Luci back from the shop

BusaWhipped

Donating Member
Registered
Luci's finally home again. While she was in the shop I had 1" raising links put in the rear and 1.0 springs in the forks. She is still running like crap above 8,500 RPM. The problem isn't in the fuel system. The dealer is stumped. They think it has something to do with having the cans drilled. But it only cost $35 for the fuel system check, so not too bad.

An unexpected side effect of the front spring swap is it raised the front of the bike about 1/2". I don't know if I should keep it there, or drop the forks the 1/2".

Any suggestions on the big loss of power over 8,500 RPM or whether I should lower the front back to stock height with the 1.0 springs would be appreciated.

I don't believe it has anything to do with the cans being drilled. I would bet money that it is not that. What does their "fuel system check" consist of. If it is losing power and cutting out above 8.5K I would say a lack of fuel is a likely candidate. The other possibility is an electrical problem but I would equate that more to heat than rpm.

JM $.02 worth.

Don

Do you have a power commander? heard of them going bad and dong what your bike is doing!

How heavy are you, where is you rear preload set? At 245 lbs and with 1.1 kg/mm fork springs I had to crank the rear preload shock to the maximun to get the correct unladen sag. This made the ride height spot on both front and rear. If you are lighter, and your sag is correct in the rear and the front, and you wish to drop the nose to improve turn in, you may have to purchase the top clamp to raise your forks.

cheers
ken

I have a tough time believing it's not the fuel system, but I'm no real mechanic.

How heavy are you, where is you rear preload set? At 245 lbs and with 1.1 kg/mm fork springs I had to crank the rear preload shock to the maximun to get the correct unladen sag. This made the ride height spot on both front and rear. If you are lighter, and your sag is correct in the rear and the front, and you wish to drop the nose to improve turn in, you may have to purchase the top clamp to raise your forks.

cheers
ken
Thanks. I out weigh you by a few pounds. The rear was setup correctly before the links were swapped. I have to go back through and retune it front and rear. I just didn't know if I should drop the front before spending the time or not. Since the whole purpose of the mods is to improve the handling, down it goes. I already have a set of GenMar's on it, so I can lower it without a problem.

I don't believe it has anything to do with the cans being drilled.  I would bet money that it is not that.  What does their "fuel system check" consist of.  If it is losing power and cutting out above 8.5K I would say a lack of fuel is a likely candidate.  The other possibility is an electrical problem but I would equate that more to heat than rpm.

JM $.02 worth.

Don
Thanks. It could be the EMU. They are thinking that the packing getting wet could cause it to start breaking down over time causing more restriction. I'll be testing that theory once the roads clear back up by running it with mids only. It it is the cans, then time to go 4-2-1.

Dennis, could it be a power draw problem with all the stuff you have under the seat for your cameras and stuff?

ohhh...you know the
rulez8bn.gif

I have a tough time believing it's not the fuel system, but I'm no real mechanic.
I was expecting to have to put a new pump in it when I took it in. They tested the fuel system and say it has the correct pressure and flow. She may end up spending a little time at Smithers Customs this winter to get her straightened back out.

Could be you need to clean the fuel injectors. Try some SeaFoam first and if that helps, you may have stumbled on your problem.

It's gotta be that hillbilly gas you're using!
poke.gif
biggrin.gif

--Wag--

Could be you need to clean the fuel injectors.  Try some SeaFoam first and if that helps, you may have stumbled on your problem.

It's gotta be that hillbilly gas you're using!  
poke.gif

biggrin.gif

--Wag--
Thanks. I run the cheapest hillbilly gas I can find. So maybe a good cleaning is in order.

Sorry you having problems Dennis. I wish I could help, but I am no mechanic my any means. Hope Luci gets better soon. Hows the Bandit treating you?

have you check the little things like the plugs, filter, coils? if the pump is putting out correct pressure then i'd say you have an electrical gremlin... those are the worst. Does your FI light come on at all?

Hey Dennis are you positive the forks were reinstalled to the factory location... Maybe this is part of the problem. Can't remember what the spec should be but you can measure down from the top.

Part of the sag up front my have been attributed to the weak factory springs.

Back