Got a quote for new paint

Don Hardcastle

Busa Ridin' Sailor (ret)
Donating Member
Registered
I got a quote to have my bike repainted this winter. I deliver all that plastics with the vinyal, turn signals etc removed. They do all the prep work. I supply the paint and it is $400. That includes 2 coats of clear coat (he supplies the clear coat).

$600 if he supplies the paint.

I love the 05LE color and that is what I am going back with. He says that he can match the paint no problem. He has some type of scanner or something.

I was just looking for some inputs from you guys.

Don

Yes he is painting everything. What I meant by match was match the original color as close as possible.

Don

What prep work? Is the plastic damaged? Raw?

That price is not real bad IMO -maybe a little on the high side for paint.
The LE is one solid color. The paint code is YHF Phantom Gray Metallic (base coat - clearcoat). They should be able to mix the paint from this code.
beerchug.gif

Guido,
By prep work, I mean just cleaning or whatever needs to be done prior to painting. There are a couple of rub spots where her previous owner let her slide down a car, but there is no damage.

Don

god around here that would be considered a smokin deal. i would jump all over that..... bake him a cake too.

yes thats about right. along that range is what it would cost at our body shop.
you supply the paint, 200 for his is border on the high side. he can match it very close with the spectra scanner. then if needed he can tint the paint.

Let him provide the paint. Why worry about the hassle for $200? Paint is not cheap. I would think if he is doing any work on it you would also need a primer, which aint cheap.

If he will do it all go for it, just make sure you are not a guinnea pig for his test.

color rites will be as close to exact as you can get,
his will be close, 90 percent of the people would not be able to tell the difference
one quart should cover both sides, nose and tail, plus the hump.
he will let down the quart with a reducer that will give him plenty to use on this.
its up to you, like bluehaya said if you do now want to worry about the hassle let him provide it. a plus if he provides it is if you do not like it, he will have to adjust and fix it, if you provide the paint he might say tough luck its the paint from color rite and want to charge you more to repaint.

Sorry to say it, but Color rite  is a massive RIP OFF.
I priced a pint of yellow for my wifes' Gixxer - 108 dollars! +shipping! And I would need to multiply by two due to the yellow being a tri coat.
No Way. That is utterly rediculous.
I went to my local PPG supplier. 36 dollars a pint. Same exact factory paint mixed by a professional.
The only way I would get color rite was a touch up pen or small jar for a chip or...............

Oh, also remember most paint is mixed at a 1:1 ratio with reducer so one quart reduced is 2 quarts sprayable (mixed) paint.

Also,

I went with PPG Global Refinish System. Take a look at the label on the right. It is an exact match to the suzuki 2004 color. Mixed by a professional. Sprayed by a non- professional (me)
laugh.gif

Edit the above post to 12 ounces not a pint.....
tounge.gif

DSC00634.JPG

Compared to the going rate around here ......that price is a Super Deal !! So you're getting paint & fixing the tranny ?

i would say thats a heck of a deal, guy here wants 1,000 for one color and then for each additional color about another 200 bucks... sometimes my gut tells me if its too low then its probably not going to be a good deal but hey i could be wrong...

Agree with Guido4512..Colorite is a ripoff. I went with PPG when I painted my 02 LE. They matched the paint color perfectly and everything total was $94.00. Colorite is not worth the money. Actually sprayed in a friend's modified garage so had some trash in the paint, but we wet sanded with 2000 grit and buffed everything out. Turned out pretty good. It was a pain getting the stickers off the tank since they clear over them from the factory. Luckily someone else is doing all the prep work. I'd say $600.00 is worth it or pay the $400.00 and supply the paint yourself, will save you a $100.00
jump9.gif

Back