Paint Blistering...

I'm frustrated just listen to what they told you :banghead:

Id think a different ship is in order, I'm guessing if they haven't got it right by now, they probably won't, unfortunately.

If they did a fiberglass repair and did not mix the resin correctly, or the resin was old, it will cause bubbling. Seen it on a friends bike.

Take it to another shop and ask them what would cause it to happen. Don't mention the shop that did the work while getting a 2nd opinion.

There are two kinds of painters.
Ones with reputations and others with excuses. Yours is obviously the latter.

And by the way...
:worthless:

I think you need a new painter. I am not a painter but the guy that painted my bike did a good job and I haven't had a problem.

This is similar to what the painter told me when he painted mine.

Our buddy Spraytech will be able to give us the full scoop, but in brief, flex agents are intended for use on pliable plastics, such as contemporary bumpers. There are some paints that have enough innate flexibility that additives aren't necessary. If you use a flex additive, you need to follow the manufacturer's mix ratios precisely as this is one of those things where "more is better" is a definite no-no. I don't believe there would be any advantage to using it on a fiberglass piece as glass doesn't flex as much as the various plastics do. The paint companies I used to do business indicated that the film strenghth of the paint is diminished somewhat by the additive (that's why it's an additive rather than just included in the paint).

Not sure if this is whats going on with yours but if the plastics aren't smashed into pieces and sitting in a bucket they don't need replacing. My fairings were cracked and he fixed them painted them and I have removed them constantly no issues

It was repaired by a previous owner and the painter claims the rear fairing was repaired with fiberglass. The right lower fairing does not appear to be repair with anything on the inside of the fairing. So why is the right fairing bubbling? My front fairing was also cracked and they claimed they would fix it no problem. Noticed the other day it has started cracking in the same place! IM DONE with these people. They are still currently repainting my rear fairing and they have had it for over 5 months now and they keep beating around the bush when it will be done. Ive missed half of riding season because of this! To paint the rear fairing black, the right lower fairing oem color and fix and paint the cracked front fairing black, it has cost me $1000. And this is the quality I get?

Ill get pics of the right side fairing and the crack front fairing but I cant get a pic of the rear since they have that piece.

Right lower fairing inside the air vent.

Front fairing cracking at windscreen bolt. Was fixed and has cracked again!

Paint around the edge of the right lower fairing. Looks like a coat of paint was missed around the edge.

I dont have a pick of the rear fairing because they have the fairing currently painting it. The rear fairing had a huge line of bubbles about 8 inches long and 2 inches wide. Looked horrible! The pics I posted are not very very visible but it can be seen if you are up close to the bike. Its also irritating when you pay all this money and this is the quality I get. If I ever sell the bike this may hurt it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back