Gone to the dark side...sorta - Wheel swap Hayasaki style

Jacobs

OEM Parts/Accessory guy
Donating Member
Registered
Awhile back, I came across a guy on one of the motorcycle drag race forums(Pyscho Bike) and had swapped a set of 2012 Kawasaki ZX-14R wheels on his Suzuki Hayabusa. Swapping different/lighter wheels isn't uncommon the Hayabusa but generally people use wheels off of a Yamaha with a 5 spoke design because it's a pretty direct swap. I wanted something different and I just happen to have a set of the ZX-14R wheels laying around. I called in a favor to a good friend of mine, Johnny and asked him if he was interested in doing the swap because there was a few parts that needed to be machined/made from scratch and I knew that if I wanted my bike to be not only reliable, but safe, he's who I wanted to do the job. I still have one more thing I want to do to the wheels just to stand out a little more but it's done for now aside from the new black sprocket to go on. Soooo here's what turned out and honestly I give major praise and props to Johnny and Bizerko Fab for knocking this thing out like no problem and making it perfect. I could not be more stoked about this

BEFORE:

stanton1_zps0db1fda7.jpg

68602d1296006407-gen2-hayabusa-wheels-dsc01981.jpg

AFTER:

zx14wheelfront_zps4ec6536a.jpg

zx14wheelfrontrotor_zps8d8bd76c.jpg

zx14wheelrear_zps665f9196.jpg

zx14wheelside_zps92b6df86.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
And for anyone interested, I will post the full write up in a different thread that my buddy sent me to post on here. Now if you plan on doing this, we do not know if the measurements are the same for the 06-11 ZX-14 because the wheels are slightly different in appearance on the newest model for 2012-2013

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: looking good so far....how long until its all put back together?

Hoping in maybe another month. Motor is almost assembled but it's just a matter of paying for the rest of the parts. I picked up a PC-5 today and I just have to square up some money to pay for the Brock's TiWinder that came in for me

I just saw that you're in Indy.... Do you know Ross Yoder?

They look great but not everyone has a set of z14 wheels laying around. They would have to buy the zx wheels then pay a fab shop to fit them like u did. When its all said and done i would think just buying some aftetmarket wheels that where specific to a busa would be more practical .

They look great but not everyone has a set of z14 wheels laying around. They would have to buy the zx wheels then pay a fab shop to fit them like u did. When its all said and done i would think just buying some aftetmarket wheels that where specific to a busa would be more practical .

Used factory wheels aren't worth much and since I've already got several PM's from guys on here that say they have a set or can find them cheap, it looks like they're out there if you look. The 2012-2013 wheels are identical and I would imagine they'll be the same in 2014.

I got lucky with the swap but I also wanted to be a little different from the Hayabusa guys and having something that you don't see at a bike night or a meet-n-greet

Last edited:
They look cool...did you scale / weigh them for a difference over stock....also what are you building in the background...is it a car or truck?

They look cool...did you scale / weigh them for a difference over stock....also what are you building in the background...is it a car or truck?

There is nearly no weight savings. I'd have to check but I believe the front is about a pound heavier and the rear is a pound lighter or vice versa.

The car in the background is a Cornet and I can't take credit for it being my garage. That would be my buddy Johnny(BIZERKO FAB on here) project car or atleast just one of them. His dad and himself are both big Mopar guys and most would drool at the collection they have.

There is nearly no weight savings. I'd have to check but I believe the front is about a pound heavier and the rear is a pound lighter or vice versa.

The car in the background is a Cornet and I can't take credit for it being my garage. That would be my buddy Johnny(BIZERKO FAB on here) project car or atleast just one of them. His dad and himself are both big Mopar guys and most would drool at the collection they have.

I hope the rear isn't heavier, or you'd be shooting yourself in the foot, right?

Back