Official 05-08 GSXR 1000 to Hayabusa Wheel Swap Thread with PICS!

02BLKnBLU

Registered
What's the SECRET? Everyone always asks, "How do you put 05-08 GSXR 1k wheels on a Busa?" Well hopefully this will answer all of their questions. I asked on SEVERAL forums and I always got the same answer. "Mill an 1/8in on the rear brake hanger and BUY $30 wheel spacers from So-And-So... I talked to someone that bought the spacers and said they weren't the best quality, out of round and such. So I decided to do some R&D, measure everything myself and make my own. This is a Guide of how I did my swap.

img1275678290763.jpg

REAR:
On the sprocket side you can just use an OEM 05-08 1000 wheel spacer (PIC 1). If you didn't get spacers with your wheels, that one is $15.10 on Bikebandit, or call your local dealer and maybe save on shipping.

On the Brake side, the 05-08 1K spacer is $18.73 on Bikebandit. You have to mill the rear brake hanger on the swingarm side .125" (1/8" or 3.175mm)(PIC 2 and 3). I am using a stretched 01-03 600 arm so I had to mill mine an Additional .125 for my application. I also had to grind off some of the bracing on the milled side so it wouldn't rub against the swingarm when the wheel is adjusted forward (PIC 3 and 4). But this may not be required on a Hayabusa swingarm.

PIC 1:
img1278510532568.jpg

PIC 2:
img1278510356845.jpg

PIC 3:
rearBrakeHanger2.jpg

PIC 4:
rear1kwheel2.jpg

FRONT:
I had 2 spacers of equal dimensions made by a machine shop with a lathe. I used the OEM 1k spacer to get the ID (PIC 5) and OD (PIC 6) (about .990â€￾ ID and 1.250â€￾ OD (The measurements in the pics may be slightly off, i'm not sure if my manual dial caliper was calibrated, just use them as reference for now.) put the wheel on with the OEM Busa nut spacer(Left), and threaded in the axle flush to the fork(Right). I slid the wheel from one side to the other and measured the distance with a Dial Caliper. It was roughly .25â€￾ so as long as the spacers are .125â€￾ EACH or wider (PIC 7), the wheel has room to be adjusted from side to side in the forks. I put the spacers in the wheel where the bearing seals are and installed the wheel and slid the axle through. (If the spacers were out of round, wouldn’t you think they would tear up your seals?) To adjust the wheel, I lightly tightened the Busa spacer down in the left fork and turned the 24mm axle until it was snug. Then I measured the distance with the fender mounting holes to the face of the rotors with the Dial Caliper to center the wheel. If it’s off center, just loosen the left spacer and slide it out a bit until you achieve equal measurements on both sides. After you get it centered, tighten the axle and 4 Fork Bolts to Spec and you’re all set. I’ll try to get more pics after I take some with a better camera than my phone. Enjoy!! =D

PIC 5:
img1278510497850.jpg

PIC 6:
img1278510451631.jpg

PIC 7:
img1278510420826.jpg

PIC 8: Busa Axle and Spacer Nut with 2 spacer I had made.
img1278510367210.jpg

ALL FINISHED
img1278510178962.jpg

Wow looks great.. I like it.
Dont think I would ever do this but this is a great explanation of how-to...:thumbsup:
Are the bike and wheels factory color or did you have to have wheels painted to match ?

Only his 7th post and already posting up a really good "how to" with pics.....well done Brandon! Your bike looks great :thumbsup:

Thanks for all of the compliments!!!

Wow looks great.. I like it.
Dont think I would ever do this but this is a great explanation of how-to...:thumbsup:
Are the bike and wheels factory color or did you have to have wheels painted to match ?
I just got tired of getting a lot of UNSURE answers about the swap so i figured i'd post up my results.
The bike ('02) and wheels ('08) are factory colors to their year, they just so happen to match very well!!!

weight dropped?
great tutorial:beerchug:
There is a weight loss, yes. I have a list of weights for the wheels with tires, rotors, etc in different combo's. OEM Black Busa, Chrome Busa, and Blue 1k wheels. I was thinking about posting that in another thread, possibly tomorrow.

Looks good, what is the purpose? Are they lighter or just for looks?
Both!

Only his 7th post and already posting up a really good "how to" with pics.....well done Brandon! Your bike looks great :thumbsup:
Thanks, i've been a lurker for a while, just thought i'd toss in some of my knowledge since this is such a good/helpful forum. :thumbsup:

one of the cheapest ways to drop weight.
also gixxer forks can work
Yes, you can also swap 1k forks by shimming the Busa triple clamps i believe?

Last edited:
You do know that the rotors are 10mm smaller the the Busa's stock rotor's!

Looks great!

You do know that the rotors are 10mm smaller the the Busa's stock rotor's!

Looks great!
Yeah but i haven't heard of anyone having problems with them. Stops good enough for what i need it to do, keep me from hitting the sand traps. :rofl:

what about the sprocket and rotors will the busa's bolt on the 1k wheels?
Oh yeah... you have to use the 1K Cush Drive and Sprocket with the 1K wheel, it is VERY different than the Busa. You need to swap the Busa Rear Rotor onto the 1K wheel. The front will keep the 1K rotors since they are a different bolt patern than the Busa.

What is the weight difference? Improved butt power? Increase fuel mileage? What else, besides they look cool?! :thumbsup:

I'm oretty sure the weight difference is around 7lbs per pair compared to stock busa wheels. As we all know any weight shaved in rotating mass is a hugs help. Yes it will show hp gains on a dyno because it's working less to turn the wheels. I was surprised to learn the 05 R1 wheels I put on my 1k are another 1lb each lighter than these...

Back