Goin to the track

busahigg

Registered
I just registered for track day at TX World Speedway on the 14th of March....I have a question or two for you guys that race....like Howlin and Ninja.

1. I have a Pilot Sport front and Pilot Road rear....will this be OK....the Pilot Road sticks really well but takes a few minutes longer to heat up like the sport. It is the replacement for the Macadam, however, I was told by a guy that works here at the Yamaha shop (he races a R1, and is super fast), that the two different tires would be fine. Just wanted your opinions fellas.

2. My other question: How does the Busa do at the track....this is a very fast track and my Busa is pretty much stock....stock brakes and lines, stock dampener, stock suspension settings. Any thoughts?

Long reply!

#1 I would match what you got on the front with a pilot sport rear. The pilot road was not intended for the high speeds that you going to do with them. The name says it all. Road and Sport. If just cruising down the highway you may not notice the difference in the tire designs. At high speeds you probably will.

#2 All the stock stuff won't hurt you! I have braided brake lines up front with Double H pads. Great stopping power. If it is a warm day ensure that you find a good brake point for the corners and start far out as the heat will cause your brakes to get soft during the session. Braided brake lines won't allow the expansion that the rubber hoses do.

#2A Suspension is the most important thing out there. If you don't know how to set it up make sure you ask someone who does. I had mine done at the track. If it is the way it was set coming off the showroom floor it is probably too soft. Just get it checked. I weigh 210 and the front springs won't support that so they were adjusted all the way down. Just get it checked!

MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL!!! TRACK DAYS ARE NOT A RACE AND DON'T GET CAUGHT UP IN THE EGO THING THAT SOMETIMES GETS STARTED OUT THERE! HAVE FUN AND TRY TO LEARN SOMETHING ABOUT YOUR MACHINE AND YOURSELF. IN THE END THAT IS WHAT IS GOING TO MAKE YOU FASTER AND MORE CONFIDENT.

One other thing... If you don't know the racing line find someone who does and follow them for a while and increase your speeds gradually.

Hope this helps...

Be Safe and Have fun

Marc "Howlin Mad"

Gettin the tires.........

Will have my suspension set out there........

Plays well with others (the ego thing doesn't really bother me, I just ride how I ride).......

Know the race line OK, enough to get me by at least, but that's why I'm going.......to get faster and better. (and lower)

Thanks fellas........

Man.......I'm pissed......I had to cancel. All this preperation, and I can't go........oh well. I'll make the next one.

Sorry to hear about that bro! I know you were looking forward to it.

Marc "Howlin Mad"

#2A Suspension is the most important thing out there.  If you don't know how to set it up make sure you ask someone who does.  I had mine done at the track.  If it is the way it was set coming off the showroom floor it is probably too soft.  Just get it checked.  I weigh 210 and the front springs won't support that so they were adjusted all the way down.  Just get it checked!

Be Safe and Have fun

Marc "Howlin Mad"
Jeez, I feel like a lightweight, I have 5 lines showing on the front and only 1/2 inch of threads left on the spring in the rear.

I hear you man!! Lot of that volunteering going on right about now.

Marc "Howlin Mad"

Kinda off subject, but I wish we would just either go and get it over with or quit with all the "preperation" and talk of it "could" happen.....of course it "could", but will it? Will my unit go? Who knows? We are ready......physically, mentally and logistically. So enough of the bull already and live our lives as we normally do.

Lord I hope Bush doesn't get re-elected. Oops....he is my "commander-in-chief".

make plans to go get track time whenever possible.

learn from the machine, apply the technology.

when you get on remember to think about all of the systems working on the busa.

The Busa is an incredible machine. But, like many Suzuki sportbikes, you really have to be a master of the machine to hit untapped potentials.

I have been on the racetrack for several years here in Europe , this will be my third year with the busa.

Be a thinking rider. When ever you can, get some track time.

Back